Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Another polisher recommendation needed... >

Another polisher recommendation needed...

Notices

Another polisher recommendation needed...

Old 03-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Another polisher recommendation needed...

Didn't want to hi-jack Dr. Dan's thread.

I have no experience at all with polishers and have a 2006 Formula 292 that I bought new. My routine for the gelcoat is twice a year any hard water is removed using Lime Away, then polish using Meguiars #45, then Collinite #885 wax. I do all this by hand and VERY happy with the results (see pic), so not looking for polish or wax recommendations. This gelcoat is as glossy and flaw free as it was brand new. The only thing I am not happy with is doing all this work by hand.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/marine/pr...loss-enhancer/

http://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/fleetwax-paste-wax/

Questions:
So in this application I do not need to do any 'correcting' of the gelcoat, just keep it polished and waxed like new. What is the best 'type' of polisher for this and what brand do you recommend? I am willing to spend the money for a quality product.

In this application would I still apply the #45 polish by hand then just use the polisher to remove?

What type of pads are best for polish?

The Collinite is a paste, so I would apply this by hand. What pad is recommend to remove wax, or do I still do this by hand?

Appreciate any other tips. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Another polisher recommendation needed...-292.jpg  
Old 03-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if anyone tried this Cyclo Polisher, the thing I like is that it is an American company and American made, if anyone cares.

http://www.perfectpolish.com/cyclo_p...for_paint.html

Last edited by JWoolever; 03-11-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Registered

I commented on Dan's thread that we like the Porter Cable 7424XP for DA polishers. You can apply your polish with a foam cutting pad and also apply the wax with a light wax pad. Your boat looks great but I think you'll save a hell of a lot of time and the results will be more uniform. The nice part about the Porter Cable is that you can use the same system on your cars without worrying about swirling, provided you are using the correct pads, machine speed, and pressure.

If you want to contact me, I'll share all the knowledge I have with you.

-Tim
Performance Boat Candy
Old 03-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Registered

Purchasr the dual action of your choice(I prefer the Griots as it is slightly more powerful) and equip it with either a white polishing pad or a black finishing pad(my preference is Lake Country) and apply your polish with this. Remove via microfiber cloth once the polish is broken down(translucent or diminished). If you would like to save your arms, take a knife and cut around the outside edge of the wax can. Grab a ziplock bag, flip it into your freehand and give it a few taps. Now take your polisher equiped with a wax/sealant pad and turn it on and lightly rub the wax on the spinning pad. Apply and remove with a microfiber. Your boat looks great btw, I wish I could work on something that well maintained lol.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Registered

Thanks all for the input and tips. I have been doing some research and found a great website (autogeekonline dot net) which is all about detailing. After some time reading I am now looking forward to polishing out some of my vehicles as well. I am leaning towards the Flex XC 3401 VRG and Lake Country pads. Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered

The Flex is a great machine, youll be very happy with it. Mines been through hell and back and doesnt skip a beat. They also make a smaller backing plate which is useful for the topside. Do yourself a favor and wrap the metal "bell" of the polisher for extra safety, it also gets quite hot. Youll see what I'm talking about when you get it, cast piece above the backing plate.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Registered

Btw, Detailed Image has a nice package including the pads for a good price as well. May be cheaper through them instead of buying it seperately.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Registered

Thanks for the tips Mike!