Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is this tow rig a little overkill? >

Is this tow rig a little overkill?

Notices

Is this tow rig a little overkill?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for the record, I did get this was a joke. That said, it does appear the back end hasn't squatted nearly as much as I'd expect.

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
Tongue weight on a trailer is all dependant on the balance of the load over the wheels. If the boat is far enough back, there can be very little downward weight on the front of the trailer. I knew a guy who had an old Chris Craft that when loaded on the trailer, you could lift the front of the trailer by hand and place it on his hitch.

Still doesn't allow the vehicle to tow that weight over the road, but around a yard or storage is fine.
What is the tongue weight for the rig in the original post? I've always understood that if you drop your tongue weight under 10% of gross weight you're at much higher risk of catastrophic sway. Does that only count for RV's and utility trailers where the axles are normally moved much further forward than on boat trailers?

It makes sense to me that having a much shorter lever length behind the axles will diminish the sway but my physics are too rusty to try and prove that.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmystartup

What is the tongue weight for the rig in the original post? I've always understood that if you drop your tongue weight under 10% of gross weight you're at much higher risk of catastrophic sway. Does that only count for RV's and utility trailers where the axles are normally moved much further forward than on boat trailers?

It makes sense to me that having a much shorter lever length behind the axles will diminish the sway but my physics are too rusty to try and prove that.
Not many RV 's have twin big blocks mounted in the back.

Years ago a friend of mine had a steel snowmobile trailer repaired. The framing in the back was rotted from rust. The guy did a great job making it sound, however he used so much heavy metal that my friend actually lost the trailer bringing it home empty. It went into a sway and actually ripped the trailer off the ball, and flew off the side of the road into trees.

CG is very important when towing or flying
Old 03-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my area its not uncommon to see a F150 pulling a 38 Cig or a 1500 Dodge Ram pulling a 42 Fountain. Sometimes you just have to use what you got. Usually pretty short runs on the flat though.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmystartup
Just for the record, I did get this was a joke. That said, it does appear the back end hasn't squatted nearly as much as I'd expect.

I'm not sure what the tongue weight is. The boat / trailer is probably around 6500 lbs. I barely notice it's there behind my 3/4 ton truck. I thought boat tongue weight should typically be 10-15%.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:34 PM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

Yep white F150 with Outerlimits across the bottom of the doors....clueless

Originally Posted by Tom A.
Saw a guy at my marina last summer show up with a 42' Outerlimits hooked up to an F-150 crew cab short bed. Said he towed it all over the country with that.... can you say lawsuit waiting to happen.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve 1
I got 970 Pounds for that Hondas load capacity.
Barely enough for a gaggle of Clay-mates.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by nkosi
In my area its not uncommon to see a F150 pulling a 38 Cig or a 1500 Dodge Ram pulling a 42 Fountain. Sometimes you just have to use what you got. Usually pretty short runs on the flat though.
Probably the local machenic picking up a customer's boat.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
My denali has coil rears, is that "truck" suspension?
My ram has coil overs and that is truck suspension.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say go for it! What's the worst that could happen?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Registered

I dont know what the tongue weight would be on the first vehicle. I was just making the point that if balanced, you can hook up a large amount of weight to a vehicle and not have any sag in the rear suspension. That still would not make it safe for that vehicle to actually tow that weight. That is what gets alot of people into physical trouble. A vehicles tow rating is based on strenght of the frame, axles, wheels, tires, brakes and drivetrain.

I realize that the first post was probably a joke cause we all see people do that in real life thinking that it is perfectly ok...