Notices

Illinois Use Tax Audit

Old 03-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts
Default Illinois Use Tax Audit

Anyone get hit up recently with a Use Tax Audit on your boat or other items purchased out of state? A friend of mine got a notice in the mail the other day to provide the state with documentation on any personal watercraft he has purchased since 2006. The documentation he must provide includes evidence of sales tax paid, registration fees, storage fees, fuel receipts, etc. For him that is 3 boats worth of documentation. Just curious if they are randomly auditing folks or if everyone is getting hit. Here is a link to a brief but good description of the audit.

http://www.lplegal.com/publications/...-focus-old-tax

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 03-28-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 313 Likes on 185 Posts

I'd reply back and tell them you'll pack up and move out of state before you give them any documentation.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 587 Posts

My tax guy was asking me about that when we were doing our taxes a few weeks back. I told him anything i buy off ebay or anywhere else, i consider it like a garage sale transaction.....i'm not buying from a strore but a private person. And any watercraft would be taxed when they get registered...so its the states problem...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i haven,t got one yet,but if i do,il concider it junk mail,screw the state of illinois,i dont know why i stay in this facked up state anyway.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know when you figure out why you stay there. It may help me understand why the heck I stay in tax and spend New York State!

In the last year I have had multiple friends and family move out of the state. Yep, taxes was a significant issue for all of them. Let's see, tax the "Haves", the "Haves" move out, then what will we have left?

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i haven,t got one yet,but if i do,il concider it junk mail,screw the state of illinois,i dont know why i stay in this facked up state anyway.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BeakBoater35
Let me know when you figure out why you stay there. It may help me understand why the heck I stay in tax and spend New York State!

In the last year I have had multiple friends and family move out of the state. Yep, taxes was a significant issue for all of them. Let's see, tax the "Haves", the "Haves" move out, then what will we have left?
more people in TEXAS
Old 03-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I'd reply back and tell them you'll pack up and move out of state before you give them any documentation.
Im sure you would hurt there feelings by saying that
Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts

What makes no sense in him being audited is he bought all three boats in Illinois and paid the sales tax on all three boats. The state cashed all his checks and has all the same tax forms and paperwork he does. So why the audit?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

its random, or your buddy isnt telling the whole truth.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 313 Likes on 185 Posts

Some sales tax laws require you to pay additional tax if you buy in one state county and use in a different county within the same state that has a higher sales tax rate. No refunds if you move to a lower sales tax county.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.