Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls >

Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls

Notices

Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls

Old 04-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Depends if the lift is a back in model or not. If back in, not a problem.
That's because they already have the lift lowered enough that your drives will clear which leaves plenty for your steps.

The other thing they did when they set mine up for steps is they cut the front facing angle of the added boards at an angle - that way if your steps ever did get hung up backing off, they wouldn't hit at a 90 degree angle and the steps could slide up the angle.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tomahdonzi
Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I agree that I should match up the bunks with the steps on the boat, just like I do with the trailer. These big lifts now use aluminum bunks with carpeted wood bolted to them. So on the big lifts, I don't think you will see any flex in the bunks, and thus putting a fair amount of pressure on the steps, which I don't think is a good idea. I like the idea of just adding some carpeted wood as we move toward the back of the bunks, to match up to the hull (and I agree that you have to be careful to get the lift down enough so the front hull does not hit those higher bunks in the back). I also like the idea of maybe moving the bunks in quite a bit so they miss the steps. That's something worth looking at too.

Thanks again. I have the engineers at Shorestation looking into this as well. Will be interesting to see what they say.
As others have stated, it just makes sense to properly support the hull with the bunks. No reason not to as it is very easy to simply add to the main bunk sections for the hull to rest on.

Pics are showing modified bunks for my twin stepped Formula 292 which should be similar to your Donzi 27ZR. Through bolted to the main bunks are 1X4's in the middle and 2X4's in the back. When on the lift the hull forward the steps rest on the main bunks, between the steps on the 1X4's and behind the steps on the 2X4's. The boat pulls in forward and I make sure the rear of the bunks extends past the transom. This prevent the bunks from forming a hook in the bottom of the hull over time. This lift drops down plenty far for the steps to clear these pads when backing out.

Just use galvanized carriage bolts. Counter sink the holes in the wood and cover with carpet. Very easy install. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls-lift.jpg   Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls-lift2.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a boat on an incorrectly setup on a lift.
10min of someones time and this would never be an issue. Didn't get a good pic from the other side of hull, but it also has the AC pickup scoop positioned right on top of the bunk. The hull is deflected a huge amount from that. That location is approx mid point between the bunk mounts, so the bunks to spread out the weight at a pretty fair amount, not just over the mounting location.

This boat has been on this lift 2 seasons now. This pic was taken yesterday, the deformation was apparent within the 1st season.
Attached Thumbnails Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls-img_0835.jpg  

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-08-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
This is a boat on an incorrectly setup on a lift.
10min of someones time and this would never be an issue. Didn't get a good pic from the other side of hull, but it also has the AC pickup scoop positioned right on top of the bunk. The hull is deflected a huge amount from that. That location is approx mid point between the bunk mounts, so the bunks to spread out the weight at a pretty fair amount, not just over the mounting location.

This boat has been on this lift 2 seasons now. This pic was taken yesterday, the deformation was apparent within the 1st season.

ouch that looks bad

I just added a 2x4 to the top of mine and cut it down to match the bottom,
Attached Thumbnails Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls-boat%2520on%2520%2520lift.jpg   Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls-tickfaw%25205-2004%2520006.jpg   Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls-slip-5-11-08-028.jpg  

Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls-img_0465-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

strip what is going on with that first pic i see no water.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by customryder
strip what is going on with that first pic i see no water.
I set the camera on the pier for a diff angle,my lift will lift it almost 2 feet above the pier.That way I can use the barge in the pick and buff on the bottom of the boat

Rob

Hey thanks for the ladder again,Working great
Attached Thumbnails Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls-11-07-1-104.jpg   Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls-11-07-1-114.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick you definitely want to properly support the individual steps on your hull. A straight bunk on you boat lift could do damage to the steps, and/or (over time) warp the hull of the boat.

I ran into the same situation just recently with my boat. I have a 20,000 US Boat lift and ordered it without the standard straight bunk. Instead, I had a custom cradle made by Myco in Florida (yes, the same company that makes the Myco Trailers). Their cradles aren't cheap, but they are first class and the finished product matched my hull perfectly. I attached a picture of the cradle Myco built for my Fountain 38EC. Check on their website for additional pictures of their lift cradles.

If you don't want to spring for a custom made boat lift cradle, I recommend at least building your own stepped bunks out of wood, and cover them in good carpet (even the step rise areas).

Oh, one other tip about stepped hull boats. When you launch your boat be 100% sure the boat is completely floating clear of the stepped bunks on your trailer. If not, when you go to pull your trailer out of the water the stepped bunks can snag on the forward step of your hull and can cause fiberglass damage.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Myco is beautiful. One day I will have one with the platform at the rear so I can clean the transom while its on the lift.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice Myco cradle. Definately the ticket. I am likely looking at Hewitt Hydraulic lift here in Wisconsin in the next couple weeks. The local dealer seems to have a better handle on stepped hull issues than ShoreStation.

They also offer a cradle setup, probably not unlike Myco. Will look at that option, or for sure build up the bunks to accomodate the steps.

One thing I need to think about. Do I go with Wood bunks with carpet set on top of aluminum bunks (and simply add more carpeted wood where necessary), or go with the option aluminum bunks (with a rubber pad above an aluminum bunk). Guess I'm wondering how durable wood is. Certainly easier adding wood to wood (and cheaper ) than adding wood to aluminum or adding aluminum to aluminum.

What are the bunks on the Myco cradle? Wood?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did Myco get the correct fit? Did you have to give them some measurements, or do they just know the dimensions of various boat hulls?

Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.