Notices

Fly-By-Wire Steering

Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fly-By-Wire Steering

Hi Guys,
Thought it was time to make my Fly-By-Wire Steering system public knowledge in the US. I have been working on it now for the past couple of years. The system comprises of a fully proportional hydraulic control valve a counter balance valve two seperate ECU's, two transducers one mounted on each drive and two potentiometers mounted in the steering column. In the event of a total electrical failure i also have a mechanical overide system.
The benefits of Fly-By-Wire are many fold as the system does not have any wheel creep it is much more car like in it's operation so when the steering wheel is in the straight ahead position the drives are straight this has allowed me to engineer trim and tab buttons on to the steering wheel as well as paddle throttles, it is also speed sensitive one turn lock to lock at docking speed progressively getting less sensitive as the speed rises, all fully programmable. The steering column has self centering built in along with adjustable friction clutches.
The system has been fully bench tested in the workshop and will be running in the first boat within the next 8 weeks.
The pictures are of the Ilmor boat but the Volvo engined boat will run first.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc03874.jpg   Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc04093.jpg   Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc04537.jpg  

Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc04539.jpg   Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc04540.jpg  
Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Registered

Default Fly-By-Wire-Steering

Some more pictures
Attached Thumbnails Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc02697.jpg   Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc03611.jpg   Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc03633.jpg  

Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc03678.jpg   Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc04353.jpg  
Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool system with lots of features but... It's not really new. OEM's are already doing this and have been for several years, as well as integrating it into GPS for autopilot function and other control. I like the adjustable lock to lock feature based on speed though. The helm we've used for about 5 years now is fully adjustable as well but it won't change based on speed. We usually set them up for a quick lock to lock and set it up with a buffer in the straight ahead position so it's not twitchy. Everything is on a CAN network so you can display drive angles, trim, fluid temp, etc. on a large display. On larger applications it can also be read by another PLC with satellite uplink and wifi so all parameters can be monitored from anywhere with an internet signal. There is provision to input all engine sensors as well for monitoring and datalogging. The sky's the limit if you got the $$$. Cool project, good luck!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work! I heard from Ian Hawkins that you're in the hydraulics business, and it shows.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Modern tractor steering! Why not?

Lookin' good.

Jeff
Old 04-14-2012, 04:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Cool system with lots of features but... It's not really new. OEM's are already doing this and have been for several years, as well as integrating it into GPS for autopilot function and other control. I like the adjustable lock to lock feature based on speed though. The helm we've used for about 5 years now is fully adjustable as well but it won't change based on speed. We usually set them up for a quick lock to lock and set it up with a buffer in the straight ahead position so it's not twitchy. Everything is on a CAN network so you can display drive angles, trim, fluid temp, etc. on a large display. On larger applications it can also be read by another PLC with satellite uplink and wifi so all parameters can be monitored from anywhere with an internet signal. There is provision to input all engine sensors as well for monitoring and datalogging. The sky's the limit if you got the $$$. Cool project, good luck!
Hi HaxbySpeed,
I am familiar with the Volvo joy stick and Zeus fly-by-wire control systems but this is a totally different approach aimed at ultra high performance powerboats.. but no doubt there are other engineers with similar thoughts to mine... Our system is also integrated into the CAN network and navigation system, we can also program in steering angle reduction as the speed rises so that you can't accidently apply more steering lock than the boat can safely take at a given speed.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc03130.jpg   Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc03259.jpg   Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc03662.jpg  

Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc03701.jpg   Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc03726.jpg  
Old 04-14-2012, 04:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Nice work! I heard from Ian Hawkins that you're in the hydraulics business, and it shows.
Thanks C_Spray,
It would be great to meet up on one of our trips to America and take a look at your B28.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc03728.jpg   Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc03758.jpg   Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc04460.jpg  

Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc04882.jpg   Fly-By-Wire Steering-dsc04887.jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Registered

Just completed the hydraulic test rig for demonstrating the fly-by-wire steering system to prospective customers.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Fly-By-Wire Steering-img_0446.jpg   Fly-By-Wire Steering-img_0448.jpg   Fly-By-Wire Steering-img_0449.jpg  

Fly-By-Wire Steering-img_0450.jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts

Great Calender!!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:57 AM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 160 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by tension
great calender!!
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.