Notices

Solo Boating?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

Most fun I have had is boating by myself..no worries about anyone falling or getting hurt. just me and the sound of the engines.

it amazes the guys at the ramp that I can launch and load my Tiger by myself as fast and as efficient than someoen with people helping. no telling people where to go and yada yada yada, lol

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 04-18-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 1,928 Likes on 756 Posts

Yep.
I'm 52 and in my life I've done at least as much single handing as w/a crew for all of the reasons mentioned. I enjoy both equally.

With single handing I love the solitude, my schedule, my destination, my speed.

When I was still in Ohio it was a 2 1/2 hr tow to the ramp on Lake Erie. Most of my friends would launch, run 3 mls to the closest island and tie up for the weekend. After the work/effort/expense of just getting to the ramp, no way I'm going 3 mls and tying up.

In nasty conditions you have a much clearer conscience should you decide to risk it and or play.

Also some times difficult finding groups w/similar navigating/seamanship levels in the areas I want to run. Most going back to the earlier post about drinkers Vs boaters.

Did one planned group trip that I asked everyone to do their homework ahead of time and to be prepared. I led the group and we made 3 or 4 mls before stopping so some one could make a drink.
Did another where we were scheduled to do the 30 ml trip from ramp to island on a Friday afternoon. (I was the only one that knew the way)
My self and two other boats left as scheduled and made the trip w/zero issues. 2nd group had too much fun partying at home Friday and elected to head out Saturday morning.
Our cell phones started ring Saturday a.M. asking how to get there. Was rough and coming out of the west as it normally was and as I warned them to expect. Island is 10 mls long and you could run either side but East side would give them lee from the island and give the group 10 mls of calm water.
They got lost and called fro directions. Said they were fairly sure they were at correct island but not sure. I asked them which side they were on and the replied, "THE LEFT" side
They came up the west side (left) and got the hell beat out of them. (inland boaters on Lake Erie 1st time)
One of the group bumped his kill switch shutting off the motor. He immediately called a "May Day".

Kinda fun doin the ramp thing solo once in a while too. While chasing gremlins in my 24' Sonic after the restoration I'd hit the ramp, leave the trailer in the water (through week, no traffic) do a blast, be back on the trailer and out in 5 mins. Solo

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 04-18-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This puts into sharp relief the fact that in the 10 years I've owned a boat...I have only been out alone on it TWICE!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 876 Likes on 325 Posts

Love it, and for all of the reasons mentioned above.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

You don't take sand to the beach!

The best way to add "scenery" to the boat is to have plenty of room to add it.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by powercat
Did a major renovation to the boat dock and this first year I have been able to put the boat on a lift. One of the things I have been looking forward to is being able to take off work on a Friday and beat the wife to the lake house solo run the boat without my passenger seat revlimeter telling me to slow down every time she hears the blower spool up.
sounds like grounds for divorce LOL!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
grounds for divorce
...which is fittingly the name of a good friend's boat.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do a ton of solo boating. I work 24 on and 48 off so I'm out during the week more than the weekend. Its nearly impossible to find crew during the week. It's relaxing, no scared faces when I open it up, or get into the rough stuff. Hell if I've been up all night I put in make a short run, tie up and nap. It's the best sleep I get as nothing is more relaxing.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passengers are weight. Weight slows me down. Nuff said.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
That dirves me nuts! My wife takes forever to get ready!
Can't forget about this: We wake up at 8:00AM in the city and of course it's foggy and cold. The lake is in Napa which is always 10 to 12 degrees warmer...when we get there 2 hours later. It's never understood...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.