Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
There is a gap in the market which has never been filled... >

There is a gap in the market which has never been filled...

Notices

There is a gap in the market which has never been filled...

Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fourwinns are great boats for sure. I guess you could take something like that or the sting ray and swap power packs and get the speed you want. I just dont see a successful blending of the two. Crownline has a package out there dont know if they make it anymore the LX or LPX. Cobalts have a few things but your out a 100 grand just for dinghy from them. There is the Formula Sun Sport which I think only comes in 26ft at the smallest, kind of descent blend there. My next boat if not a newer fountain will probably be one of these if they still make them

Last edited by soldier4402; 04-24-2012 at 10:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BudMA (06-23-2020)
Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

The idea of "over-nighting"(?) on a boat is as foreign to a Floridian as a Canadian's love for hockey. It just doesn't make sense.

For those of you that like that, and have the weather, knock yourselves out.

For us it's the fastest, and safest, way to get from hotel to hotel.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Im not saying I dont disagree but actually pole the market and the idea may not be as hot as you think. Take this into account, the majority of boats out there are 16-24fters. These people are the average every day boaters, im not calling my self rich but to get into the performance world takes sacrifices and money. Now take those 16-24 boats add performance into them and a premium of another 20-40% I dont think your going to have buyers in that market. Take a Stingray 250 ls or CS, boat brand new is probably what 50-60k? Now add a BBC into it, exhaust, k planes, bolster seats, just those alone and your talking another 20k into that already 60k boat. I think you would just price yourself out of the market.
All valid points, for sure. And the performance accoutrements would nudge the price up considerably.

More money is required these days to get into performance boating compared to even a few years ago. It's a real shame, and won't be long until the 1%ers are the only ones buying new boats of any kind. And they won't even consider something under 35'.

As I stated at the beginning; it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that something like this will remain a pipe dream, especially with the present situation.

There is another option, however. And considering the "niche" nature of this concept, it would probably be more appropriate. For 50+ years, Glen-L marine has been offering stock plans for DIYers to build a custom boat at an affordable price.

They have some fantastic books on how to build your own boat, and make the argument that it can be done much cheaper than what you'd expect to pay for a factory built boat. Many who have built their own from these kits will attest to this.

Seems like this would be the way to go.

Originally Posted by VtSteve
The 250CS has had a troubled life. Just not the best pick in that market. They still have design issues, particularly in the cabin. I was offered a new, loaded one 3 years ago for $50 k. I declined.

You are definitely correct when it comes to equating performance (speed), with more $$$. Always will.

Here is a well-designed, and fairly unique little cruiser. Definitely not for performance, but in all other areas it shines.

The Four Winns 305. Not in your trailerable market for sure, but the biggest and best camping/boating cruising design IMO. I just bring up this new boat since it starts to define what is possible in shorter lengths. The performance boat makers are starting to tap into the CC market, so hybrids will be coming.

The boat I'd be looking for in this segment would be an Active Thunder, preferably with outboards. The 28 is the smallest I think now. Some of these boats would be far more practical for this thread's use if they cleaned up their cockpits, put any cooking areas in the cockpit, and did more of what AT did in their yet to be released new design.
I've always thought that anything from the Brunswick-owned companies is of pretty dubious quality.

The Four Winns 305 comes closer to the mark than anything else I've seen. Sure, it isn't trailerable, but looks downright inviting to stay aboard a few days.

The AT 28 would work well enough with only a few alterations. One thing you rarely see in a performance boat is the option to fit a center cushion in between the benches. I know the 382 and 353 feature this. I think Sonic has this also.

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
The idea of "over-nighting"(?) on a boat is as foreign to a Floridian as a Canadian's love for hockey. It just doesn't make sense.

For those of you that like that, and have the weather, knock yourselves out.

For us it's the fastest, and safest, way to get from hotel to hotel.
We should all be so fortunate. I could get used to year-round boating.
BudMA (06-23-2020)
Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JP-8
All valid points, for sure. And the performance accoutrements would nudge the price up considerably.

More money is required these days to get into performance boating compared to even a few years ago. It's a real shame, and won't be long until the 1%ers are the only ones buying new boats of any kind. And they won't even consider something under 35'.

As I stated at the beginning; it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that something like this will remain a pipe dream, especially with the present situation.

There is another option, however. And considering the "niche" nature of this concept, it would probably be more appropriate. For 50+ years, Glen-L marine has been offering stock plans for DIYers to build a custom boat at an affordable price.

They have some fantastic books on how to build your own boat, and make the argument that it can be done much cheaper than what you'd expect to pay for a factory built boat. Many who have built their own from these kits will attest to this.

Seems like this would be the way to go.

I've always thought that anything from the Brunswick-owned companies is of pretty dubious quality.

The Four Winns 305 comes closer to the mark than anything else I've seen. Sure, it isn't trailerable, but looks downright inviting to stay aboard a few days.

The AT 28 would work well enough with only a few alterations. One thing you rarely see in a performance boat is the option to fit a center cushion in between the benches. I know the 382 and 353 feature this. I think Sonic has this also.

We should all be so fortunate. I could get used to year-round boating.
With gas prices and the cost of new boats in general I would bet the sport of boating is slowly dying, will it ever die I dont think so as one can still and will always be able to find some sort of boat for 10k or cheaper and be out on the water for relatively cheap. As far as performance boats they all arent making the smaller and smaller boats anymore, very few are making boats under 30 or even in the 24ft range anymore. I for one will probably never have the cash or could justify paying 150k for a boat just wont happen. Even to go out and buy a four winns new for 60k would be hard to swallow and I do pretty well for myself. I probably could buy new but that would mean selling my trailer, snowmobiles and my sports car, am I willing to give up everything to have a new boat, probably not.
BudMA (06-23-2020)
Old 04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the only guy I know with an air conditioner/heater and 2 screens and a full nav system in a 28 foot boat, I totally agree a performance cruiser with the emphasis on cockpit vs performance is missing in the market.

I spend many nights a year in the small cabin usually one at a time, but its really nice to be able to arrive anywhere on the coats and be able to crash for the night and come and go at will.

On the high end of this deal the Schiada 43 is monstrous inside and I could easily spend a 3 day weekend above and below deck.

Sometime there are no hotels where I go, and its nice to have the option to stay aboard.

UD
BudMA (06-23-2020)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 1,982 Likes on 785 Posts

It is what you make it.
This was one of our "cruisers" while our Sonic restoration was in process. In this picture we were on our way to one of the islands by our house in the Intracoastal for a weekend of camping.
We had the same boat in the Keys (multiple times) and I put 96 mls on my hand held GPS w/it one trip!
W/my style of boating, I am able to put WAY more time in/on the boat w/a REAL cuddy than anything else I've owned including my cruisers. My boats just don't seem to do well tied to a dock for more than 24 hrs at a time. IN the end, it's all abut you and how much you can and want use what ever you own.

It ran good too

BudMA (06-23-2020)
Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
It is what you make it.
This was one of our "cruisers" while our Sonic restoration was in process. In this picture we were on our way to one of the islands by our house in the Intracoastal for a weekend of camping.
We had the same boat in the Keys (multiple times) and I put 96 mls on my hand held GPS w/it one trip!
W/my style of boating, I am able to put WAY more time in/on the boat w/a REAL cuddy than anything else I've owned including my cruisers. My boats just don't seem to do well tied to a dock for more than 24 hrs at a time. IN the end, it's all abut you and how much you can and want use what ever you own.

It ran good too

That is one beauty Whaler, looks about a 1969. Jack plate with power trim...Nice. Mine only had a 35 merc on it. Where is your cable steering and white wheel?? A real Whaler has blue interior...
Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

back in 80's when i lived in key west, a couple of guys had scarab sports 29ftr. they had the cover bows that set into gunnel and canvas covers that stowed away. they would go out to lakes/marquasas's or back country and seemed comfortable.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 1,982 Likes on 785 Posts
Default Boat was a hoot!

Originally Posted by Pismo10
That is one beauty Whaler, looks about a 1969. Jack plate with power trim...Nice. Mine only had a 35 merc on it. Where is your cable steering and white wheel?? A real Whaler has blue interior...
Needed more set back though. Best I saw was 48.6 GPS while hanging off the back seat and steering w/my foot. Never found a good wheel for it or would have busted 50 for sure.
Best part was raising the 15" transom to 20". You are exactly right too. It was a '69.
For the anti wood in boats people, the wood in the transom was bone dry and rock solid after 40 yrs!
I learned to do a deep water start on a slalom ski behind a 13' w/a 18 HP motor. You did every thing perfect and got really good at holding your breath

Keith, I really like those boats too. Tons of them down here but they are all either rotted or restored.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
As the only guy I know with an air conditioner/heater and 2 screens and a full nav system in a 28 foot boat, I totally agree a performance cruiser with the emphasis on cockpit vs performance is missing in the market.

UD
UD, where did you mount the airconditioner/heater system? Does the heater run on gasoline, or is it electric?

Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.