Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ordering a new boat with no power plant, can it be done? >

Ordering a new boat with no power plant, can it be done?

Notices

Ordering a new boat with no power plant, can it be done?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ordering a new boat with no power plant, can it be done?

I was wondering, if a customer went to a custom boat builder nowadays and just ordered a hull because they already have an engine and drive package, would this be a legit deal because of the new laws about catalytic converters and what not? For instance: last year I completely reupholstered my boat and the seats and what not look brand new, I also just built a motor that I am happy with. Would I be able to call my manufacturer and order a new hull and top deck and switch my seats and power plant over since it is not a catalyst engine? Or would this now be against EPA laws? Just curious, I know a lot of people repower older boats. What about "reboating" your new engine? Or say you hit something and the hull was not economically repairable but everything else was salvagable, could you order a hull then? What are the rules and regulations on these new engines as far as emissions and sales go?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most manufacturers wont do it anymore, formany reasons, liability, afraid boat wont be rigged or set up right, dont want to educate buyer how to rig. Several other reasons? You probably dont want to buy from someone who would. Too many things can go wrong

Last edited by Sbarberdds; 04-24-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

yes it can be done... pm me
Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Registered

joker also there was a story in sport boat mag about a guy that did an eliminator
Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

I was very limited even back in 2003 when I bought my Kryptonite. I had a new engine and driveline from my old Donzi and was limited to only a couple manufacturers.
On the flip side, I saved a ton of money on my boat because I ordered with no driveline.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sbarberdds
Most manufacturers wont do it anymore, formany reasons, liability, afraid boat wont be rigged or set up right, dont want to educate buyer how to rig. Several other reasons? You probably dont want to buy from someone who would. Too many things can go wrong
I would take them the driveline and have them rig the boat if I was going to do something like this. My boat is good for a few more years, just pondering the thought. I just think an engine package can be built a lot cheaper than it can be bought from merc or Volvo and drastically reduce the price of a new boat for a guy that can't swing big bucks for brand new everything.

Last edited by 87MagnumII; 04-24-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:38 PM
psi
Registered

I bought my boat from Eliminator with no engine back in 2008....came complete with everything else, drive, gauges, interior, and wiring....pretty sure they would still do it..

Regards,
Brendan
PSIRacing
Old 04-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Active Thunder would do it for you if they were able to rig it themselves.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Registered

Velocity would do it for you in a heartbeat #407-321-1340 ask for kenny, I am also sure there are a few other boat builders that would do it in this market.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

If you want an outside engine/drive combo and have the manufacturer install them, then that is a completely different scenario and def. opens up most of the companies. I have multiple friends who pulled power from their old boats and had them transplanted into new boats at the factories, that is more common then buying an un rigged boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.