Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is Toilet bowl cleaner ok for cleaning hull >

Is Toilet bowl cleaner ok for cleaning hull

Notices

Is Toilet bowl cleaner ok for cleaning hull

Old 06-27-2002, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Zep TB cleaner and dilute it 50/50. works good on the nasty Mo river lake scum. I pu tit in a weed sprayer, spray on the solution, let it set a minute or 2 and wash it off
Old 06-27-2002, 06:34 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I've used both the toilet bowl cleaners and hull cleaners. The Toilet cleaners cling, go on better with a sponge or brush, but I'm on a boat lift so I have to use a chem/garden sprayer. Economically On/Off is the way to go. I buy a gallon of On/Off Hull cleaner and cut it 1 part On/Off to 5 parts water. Might need to buy 2 gallons a year at the most.

Wax only keeps it from yellowing for a couple weeks, eventually the hull yellows, and I've tried every brand & type wax you can come up with over the last 13 seasons, 2 coats of Liquid Glass applied as instructed on the can is the only thing that lasted for almost 8 weekends. Everything else failed earlier.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 06-27-2002, 07:44 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

I've been using Greased Lightning wheel cleaner,not degeaser, but wheel cleaner. Two dunks in the Delaware on the weekend and I have a yellow bottom(the boat that is). This contains oxolic (sp?) acid.in a weak concentration. Start at the front and by the time you reach the back you can rinse it off front to back and it's snow white.Soaps , cleaners and compounds I've tried wont touch it. Get mine at K Mart in the auto section. Been using it a few years now and no signs of any problem
Old 06-28-2002, 05:06 AM
MIdnightRider

I think I may try that wheel cleaner. I have yet to find something other muratic that takes the brown-yellow right off, But that stuff is strong. Someone has also suggested CLR, I am buying that this week too. My headers dump on the swim platform and it's a pain in the ass to keep clean. Not to mention what happens to the hull. I have noticed that it does seem abnormally bad in our area this year(the scum- no offense pocket change. ). Midnight

Last edited by MIdnightRider; 06-28-2002 at 06:42 AM.

Old 06-28-2002, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used Soft Scrub w/ bleach on our old boat - the white part obviously. Worked like a charm!!
Old 06-28-2002, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

I can't remember the name, but its the scrupping bubbles one it worked
Old 06-28-2002, 08:43 AM
Registered

I use Soft Scrub w/Bleach on white hulls. Works great. Put wax on after using Soft Scrub too. I have also used Soft Scrub w/Bleach on the hull @ the thru-hull exhast. Works great getting the exhaust build up off there too. Again, wax the area after you use Soft Scrub.

Great posts everyone, keep'em coming. Like the advice of other things to try. I might try The Works, see what it does too.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:40 PM
Banned

I used to boat a lot in the Suwannee River, and that river is so tannin stained that one day in the water will turn a hull brown to the water line. Everyone up there uses sno bowl, I did too.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

I've used sno bowl with great success before. But where do you get it? I bought some generic brand bowl cleaner and it didn't touch what ever is on this new to me boat. Are they not all the same?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by korvetkeith
I've used sno bowl with great success before. But where do you get it? I bought some generic brand bowl cleaner and it didn't touch what ever is on this new to me boat. Are they not all the same?
ummmm 11/12 year old post,,sno bowl most likely went down the bubes like every other biz since all mighty took over..

Quick Reply: Is Toilet bowl cleaner ok for cleaning hull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.