Notices

Boat on Trailer Position?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat on Trailer Position?

Hi Group,

Bought a used boat late last season and noticed that the winch/stopping point for the front roller has been moved back on the trailer several inches (could see the spot where it was based on paint blemish on the trailer). The back of the boat hangs off the rear bunk a little bit (is in storage so I'm not sure how much). The trouble is that I had a heck of a time getting it loaded on the trailer and tried various depths of the trailer with no real success. I'm sure there had to be a reason for moving the boat back and I'm guessing the previous owner wanted to reduce the tongue weight?

Is there anything official as to how the boat should be sitting on the trailer and/or a good way to make adjustments? My obvious thought is to put the winch/front roller back to it's original position.

Thanks!!

And yes, I know pics would be helpful but the boat is still in storage for another week.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

It has more to do with tongue weight then anything else. you may have to try different positions and i think there is a ratio of balance based on the weight of the boat. It also starts with having the proper size trailer for a certain boat. Sometimes it also requires a certain finesse or technique for a given hull/trailer. May just hafta find the sweet spot of how deep it should be, power loading vs. float on, etc . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 05-02-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't let the transom hang off the back. It may create a hook.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave is correct, The most important part is the tongue weight, about 10% of your boat weight should be on the tongue & your hitch and receiver should be rated accordingly. too little tongue wt can cause it to jerk your vehicle around to the point it steers the back while your trying to counter steer the front, not good or fun
Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered

Mine has more trailer bunk then needed. cant lower my drives all the way and turn them casue they will hit the big bunks. but i did have to move my winch stand a little to make it load better.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
I don't let the transom hang off the back. It may create a hook.

+1 the stern should be about 3" in from end of bunk. If it needs to be that far back you need longer bunks or new trailer
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
Mine has more trailer bunk then needed. cant lower my drives all the way and turn them casue they will hit the big bunks. but i did have to move my winch stand a little to make it load better.
seems like a problem that can be easily fixed with a saw
Old 05-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Registered

Trailer is plenty long for the boat so I'm confident that is not the issue. I figured the boat was moved back on the trailer for tongue weight issue but doubt very highly it was done correctly. It may be as simple as movin it back the way it was setup from the factory (and yes, it was sold with the matched trailer from the factory. Might be worthwhile to just call them and get recommendations but was easier to ask all of you guys!

Thanks for the replies!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

10% seems a bit high for tongue weight. A 2000lb 19' boat would be 200lbs on the tongue. Not mine that's for sure.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Not everyone puts 10%, but to keep the rear tires planted it's a good rule of thumb. It will help get up a slick ramp also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.