Boat cover material comparison >

Boat cover material comparison

Notices

Boat cover material comparison

Old 06-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat cover material comparison

I need a new cover and am looking at several options.

Sunbrella- 9.25oz Acrylic - $578
Sharkskin Supreme SD 7.4oz Polyester - $375
Sharkskin Plus 6.5oz Polyester - $319

The $56 jump from the 6.5oz to 7.4oz sharkskin would seem to be worth it just because it's not that much money. But is the 9.25oz sunbrella worth another $200?

The boat is stored outside for the time being in Texas, so UV and rain protection is fairly important.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

the material you want is aqualon,,by far onr of the best material's i have ever had on my boat..15yrs and the boat still never gets wet like sunbrella..

http://www.glfi.com/marinecatalog_aqualonpage.htm
Old 06-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Registered

Looks like you are considering a Westland cover? good fit and value, IMO.

I stepped up to the Sunbrella. My ski boat gets wet frequently during the season, a breathable cover lets it dry quicker and I have never had moisture issues over the winter.
One could easily reason the extra $200 due to the extended durability but if the cover traps moisture, even one season can do more than $200 direct damage or cleaning cost.

Get the breathable vent pole holder as well and have a canvas shop punch the hole. This is an easy way to secure the pole and provide extra ventilation. I liked the plastic holder vs just a rubber tipped pole because the pole can still wear a hole over time. (have both)

My Westland spent 3 years outside before I moved to a covered stall the past 4. Plan on cleaning it and re-water proofing around year 3-4.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
the material you want is aqualon,,by far onr of the best material's i have ever had on my boat..15yrs and the boat still never gets wet like sunbrella..

http://www.glfi.com/marinecatalog_aqualonpage.htm
This would require a custom one off cover? I wouldn't know where to start looking for someone to make me one. Seems like it would be expensive though.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
Looks like you are considering a Westland cover? good fit and value, IMO.

I stepped up to the Sunbrella. My ski boat gets wet frequently during the season, a breathable cover lets it dry quicker and I have never had moisture issues over the winter.
One could easily reason the extra $200 due to the extended durability but if the cover traps moisture, even one season can do more than $200 direct damage or cleaning cost.

Get the breathable vent pole holder as well and have a canvas shop punch the hole. This is an easy way to secure the pole and provide extra ventilation. I liked the plastic holder vs just a rubber tipped pole because the pole can still wear a hole over time. (have both)

My Westland spent 3 years outside before I moved to a covered stall the past 4. Plan on cleaning it and re-water proofing around year 3-4.
I was looking at coversearch.com, is that westland?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Registered

I would say almost definately, Yes.
You can call them to confirm.

Model# match - http://www.westlandcovers.com/index....rch&keyword=ef

I found mine to be nicely reinforced on major stress points like windshield, corners and swim platform. If you plan on keeping the boat and find there are aftermarket or other stress points that might benifit from reinforcement, do it when new and not once the fabric is worn. The extra $100-200 is worth it and still ahead of what you would pay for a full sided custom cover.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Crossett
This would require a custom one off cover? I wouldn't know where to start looking for someone to make me one. Seems like it would be expensive though.
you have a choice to have a cover made n what ever material you want..a custom fit cover is the way to go,,fits better and you can trailer with it,,the universal covers beat the chit out of the boat..all my customers have went from sunbrella to aqualon and wont look back. after so many years the sunbrella wont trap the water anymore and then the whole inside of the boat gets wet then it only surface drys but the stringers and bilge area are still wet..and yes +1 on the pole vents,,that the only way to go..