Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
who can knows what broke from watching this video! help! >

who can knows what broke from watching this video! help!

Notices

who can knows what broke from watching this video! help!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

call jrmarine,,talk to ron bender,,he should be able to tell you if its ok to run until the end of season
Old 07-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
http://jrmarine.com/ check out the videos,,,i used jr marine swivel pins kits on my boat last winter,,redid both gimbal rings,,tighten everthing right up like new,,,if you use his kits you dont have to pull the engine,,,let me know if you need a mechanic thats already has worked with his kits,,also search jrmarine for more info
Aren't those for a worn gimbal ring where the steering swivel pin goes through at the top? Sounds like 288 has a worn hinge pin/bushing on one side. Going off memory it's a pretty simple fix if the gimbal ring and bell housing are still in good shape. Just need to replace the bushing.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Popped the cap off and the sleeve is broke off and missing. O can see down into the threaded portion of the drive and there's nothing screwed on from myside or from the inside coming towards me. Wtf?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=THE 288 KID;3728140]Popped the cap off and the sleeve is broke off and missing. O can see down into the threaded portion of the drive and there's nothing screwed on from myside or from the inside coming towards me. Wtf?

I'm not that familiar with the HP gimbals and bell housings. But I THINK the hinge pins don't thread into the bell housing. They slide in and are held in place with the 4 screws you took out. Which would mean your hinge pin is broken and needs to be replaced. Number 10 here.

Someone with a HP assy will know for sure. If so trickiest part will be getting the broken piece out of the bell housing.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Registered

Wow did You hit something ? thats new to Me. Looks like a easy fix.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered

The piece that's broke off down in there I should be able to thread a bolt into and pull it out. My next question is putting a new hp pin in as easy as aligning the hopes up, shoving in the new pin and re installing the 4 bolts on the outside that hold the pin in?

Anyone in Michigan have or know who's got a hp pin on hand?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...nsom%29,,,this is from and its bell housing,,but shows a better pic,,of what your dealing with,,,yea i would say order a new pin,and install,,,if you can only find a hp gimbal pin with two holes,,it will work ,but youll have to use your old pin as a pattern to drill the other two holes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help guys.

Big thanks to Keith at ck motorsports on spring lake, drove over this morning and got the pin, some other parts, and some knowledge. Feels good to fix stuff yourself once in awhile!

Time for Boyne Thunder!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Registered

Thats great. Enjoy Your ride. Artie
Old 07-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big J, did the drive need to come off to do this repair??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.