Looking for 400hp on 383's >

Looking for 400hp on 383's

Notices

Looking for 400hp on 383's

Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Man I love watching dyno videos!!!

I have been considering building a 383 myself ( currently running vortec 350 lt4 hot cam), so I have been watching this thread

Without reading through the whole thread again would you mind stating the cam specs again (i know its been beat to death, but a few more degrees of duration to get peak horse a say 5600 and 25 more horse)? Also I thought I remembered you said you were going to use a edelbrock 750 but that looks like a holley, was that just for dyno or did you switch carbs?

awesome build, thanks for sharing

Finally, come on put them in that 272, and see what they do!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
Man I love watching dyno videos!!!

I have been considering building a 383 myself ( currently running vortec 350 lt4 hot cam), so I have been watching this thread

Without reading through the whole thread again would you mind stating the cam specs again (i know its been beat to death, but a few more degrees of duration to get peak horse a say 5600 and 25 more horse)? Also I thought I remembered you said you were going to use a edelbrock 750 but that looks like a holley, was that just for dyno or did you switch carbs?

awesome build, thanks for sharing

Finally, come on put them in that 272, and see what they do!!!
videos make everything come more alive , dont' they? again these are solid numbers made out of a conservative build , many of the members here including Laz Mesa advise me to go with holley double pumpers so i switched them. My goal was 400hp but i wanted solid torque throughout the band so we considered our goals achieved, You can call Bob Madara (585 654 8583) for the cam specs , he designed the cams to peak at 5200 rpm and that is what i got .

i believe that for a conservative build, to have 460 lbs of torque on a SBC is a pretty good number and like Sprink58 and Uncle Dave said on previous threads , that is what really counts on a marine engine, hp are bragging numbers
Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Registered

i haven't had a boat for the last 10 month, so for now i will enjoy the beautiful sr1 with the big blocks as they came from lil red , if i put these new builds in my NOVA ST that thing will fly right to 80mph no doubt, kind of tempting to do so but in that case i will be forced to keep both boats for a while. My original intention was swapping engines with the Nova but the BBC are running so sweet that dont want to touch them for now...
Old 12-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id like to say thanks for taking us "along for the ride" with you.

It gives us guys between projects something to look forward to and has been a lot of fun following you.

It take a lot of balls to put your stuff up for the world to see and gracefully deal with guys shooting at you while adding no value.

As for what to do now- you didn't ask, but here's what I would do.

Dump the nova-Unless you can store it for free.
It offers little to you and owning 2 boats is a PIA (I know).

Crate the small blocks and sit on them, but buy the rest of the parts to marinize them so you wont have to hunt at replace time- plus without the rush of needing everything now you can get a better deal on cool stuff like a single belt kit.

Enjoy a season or 2 with the Formula and start a coffee can fund for the big bock rebuilds - it'll come sooner than you wish.
You can find yourself in a situation where you are always working and never boating- this blows.

When the BBC's need a refresh you pull and replace one with the other in one shot and you are back on the water- literally a weekend of downtime.

You now have gained valuable experience and know the right team of guys to put a workable rebuild on the BBC's.

ENJOY!

Thanks again for the time to document all this its been a real treat.

Your new friend in So Cal- I'll see you in Miami mid next year.

Uncle Dave
Old 12-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave

It gives us guys between projects something to look forward to and has been a lot of fun following you.

It take a lot of balls to put your stuff up for the world to see and gracefully deal with guys shooting at you while adding no value.

Crate the small blocks and sit on them, but buy the rest of the parts to marinize them so you wont have to hunt at replace time- plus without the rush of needing everything now you can get a better deal on cool stuff like a single belt kit.

Enjoy a season or 2 with the Formula and start a coffee can fund for the big bock rebuilds - it'll come sooner than you wish.
You can find yourself in a situation where you are always working and never boating- this blows.

When the BBC's need a refresh you pull and replace one with the other in one shot and you are back on the water- literally a weekend of downtime.

You now have gained valuable experience and know the right team of guys to put a workable rebuild on the BBC's.

ENJOY!

Uncle Dave

Uncle Dave,

Thanks for your kind words, and hopefully we can see you in Miami soon , I will definitely look forward to meeting you.

I spoke to Laz about the 454's and he mentioned he could put them into a reliable 600hp range pretty easy stroking them to 496 CI but this would be a totally new thread in the future,I hope.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Registered

This thread has been awesome, thanks for the ride. I kinda got the same grief when I didn't tune my 502 up to turn 5500+ rpm's. When you beat 1hp per cubic inch REALIABLY, thats nothing to complain about. I stuck with 5200 rpm as my limit, since I can't afford to do this every few years.

Good work, no matter what you decide, you sure have options now!

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 12-09-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
This thread has been awesome, thanks for the ride. I kinda got the same grief when I didn't turn my 502 up to turn 5500+ rpm's. When you beat 1hp per cubic inch REALIABLY, thats nothing to complain about. I stuck with 5200 rpm as my limit, since I can't afford to do this every few years.

Good work, no matter what you decide, you sure have options now!
agree with you 100% , there was more room for more hp but like you said, keyword here is: reliability as main goal.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Registered

Here is a link with the 1991 Nova ST twin engine boat that i have for sale if anyone interested. Price flexible but only a bit.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/3418427292.html
Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave

ENJOY!

Uncle Dave
Yep... great thread and best of all I made a new fiend too!!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
Yep... great thread and best of all I made a new fiend too!!
John,

Likewise, I told UD that when he comes,we'll show him the good spots in town and on the water...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.