Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
RC Boats Anyone build one from scratch?? >

RC Boats Anyone build one from scratch??

Notices

RC Boats Anyone build one from scratch??

Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
yep! a 50'' cat with twins but did not have it long enough to take pictures..some stupid mother phucker in a 32 fever went out of his way to chop it up in tiny little pieces..
On the Chain? That sucks!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my proboat 29. I didnt build it but its fun to play with when anchored some place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GHwNY6AzOg
Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
yep! a 50'' cat with twins but did not have it long enough to take pictures..some stupid mother phucker in a 32 fever went out of his way to chop it up in tiny little pieces..
Man, I hope you made him regret that decision!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by AO31
On the Chain? That sucks!
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
Man, I hope you made him regret that decision!
yep,@ the mouth of the river going into pistake lake..6 pm so the traffic was not bad..i didnt have my boat and i was on a friends fat boat(cruiser) one of thease days ill catch him...you wont mis him,he will be the one with the controller sticking out of his head..
Old 08-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
How thick and what type of plywood are you using?
Not sure on the type but is 1/4" i bought at home depot. Just found out that instead of glassig the outside i can brush on slow setting epoxy. It should be lighter and still pretty strong. I glued the stringers and bulkheads together with epoxy and coated it all with resin i brushed on. It will keep it from absorbing water or fuel.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drozz30
Not sure on the type but is 1/4" i bought at home depot. Just found out that instead of glassig the outside i can brush on slow setting epoxy. It should be lighter and still pretty strong. I glued the stringers and bulkheads together with epoxy and coated it all with resin i brushed on. It will keep it from absorbing water or fuel.
I have seen others build the hull with a balsa outer skin then gelcoated. I think that is the way I am going to go as well. Were did you get the plans? I would like to look at some plans to get an idea what type of structure is required.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

You can use thin sheets of birch for the hull, if you steam it you can form it how you want without splitting & it will be plenty strong after you glass over it. Stringers can be 3/8 to1/2 inch plywood. Bulkheads can be 1/4 inch. General placement for stringers is a 5 inch spread. hope that helps, Randy
Old 08-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
I have seen others build the hull with a balsa outer skin then gelcoated. I think that is the way I am going to go as well. Were did you get the plans? I would like to look at some plans to get an idea what type of structure is required.
I got the plans from rcuniverse. In the gas boat forum. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_75..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 08-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Registered

Lots of info in the thread i linked and the plans are posted there a few times as well.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I have one for sale it's a cat from aero marine and has a 3hp engine it's complete and ready to go. You are better off buying an empty hull and starting from there if you want to build one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.