In the process of a carb rebuild, but now stuck >

In the process of a carb rebuild, but now stuck

Notices

In the process of a carb rebuild, but now stuck

Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the process of a carb rebuild, but now stuck

Hi everyone, I have a 94 4.3lx with a 4 barrel carb and Im in the process rebuilding the carb but now im stuck. I removed all of the 8 screws on top of the carb and I can not separate the top and bottom half! I then took a small putty knife and gently pushed it in all the sides to try and free the gasket as much as I could. When I try to lift up with the knife it feels like something is still holding it back. Did I miss a screw or something? I looked it over but cant see anything else holding it. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default carb rebuild

Do you Know the make and model of the carb? Can you post a picture of it?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jbizub5192
Hi everyone, I have a 94 4.3lx with a 4 barrel carb and Im in the process rebuilding the carb but now im stuck. I removed all of the 8 screws on top of the carb and I can not separate the top and bottom half! I then took a small putty knife and gently pushed it in all the sides to try and free the gasket as much as I could. When I try to lift up with the knife it feels like something is still holding it back. Did I miss a screw or something? I looked it over but cant see anything else holding it. Thanks!
Is there a long stud in the carb for the spark arrestor? If so, try removing it.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Registered

Thats it!! That one stupid stud was holding it. It would have been nice if the merc manual said to remove that lol. Thanks again
Old 08-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thats it!! That one stupid stud was holding it. It would have been nice if the merc manual said to remove that lol. Thanks again
Your welcome.I'm pretty good at taking stuff apart. Putting it back together? Well...
Old 08-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Registered

I am like that also because most of the time I cant finish it all at once and then when I find time to complete it I forgot how to put it back together lol. Have you ever done metering rods for this weber carb? Just wondering if I got the metering kit from mercruiser if it was just something I plopped in or do I have to do adjustments? Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I'm not familiar with your particular carb/application.

Generally speaking unless there is a compelling reason to change the metering rods it is likely they are fine for re-use when doing a basic rebuild.

There are folks on this site who know a lot more than I on this subject. Some of them are in the business of marine repair and could do the rebuild for you.

Whatever you do, when you re-install the carb on the motor CLOSELY check for fuel leaks. Then do it again. And again!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by BeakBoater35
I'm not familiar with your particular carb/application.

Generally speaking unless there is a compelling reason to change the metering rods it is likely they are fine for re-use when doing a basic rebuild.

There are folks on this site who know a lot more than I on this subject. Some of them are in the business of marine repair and could do the rebuild for you.

Whatever you do, when you re-install the carb on the motor CLOSELY check for fuel leaks. Then do it again. And again!
leave them alone..the only tip i can give you is to remove the little screens on the needle and seats and pitch them..they clog easy and will give you trouble down the water...
Old 08-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Registered

Thanks for the tips! I think for now I will leave them alone and if I still have trouble with the carb then ill have to do it. I know the one rod is worn diameter wise but the actually length is fine.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks for the tips! I think for now I will leave them alone and if I still have trouble with the carb then ill have to do it. I know the one rod is worn diameter wise but the actually length is fine.
The diameter of metering rods where they travel through the metering jets is seriously important. Being of the correct length is virtually of no importance.

I mean no fowl, but perhaps this job should be turned over to someone who has experience rebuilding carbs. I admire your desire to pull your own wrenches, but I'm not sure this project is a good one for you at this time. If it is not rebuilt correctly, it will drive even the best of us crazy trying to get the boat to run correctly. And, finding a mechanic who will accept responcibility for correcting an a previously unsuccessful rebuild may be a challenge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.