Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Thanks for the update. The original item indicated that there were no serious injuries ("mild to moderate") and I think that is why there was some joking around. Sorry to hear that the injuries were more than "moderate".
Old 09-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wishing all injured parties a speedy recovery.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was pretty crazy at the scene...the first thing the water patrol did was to stick a breathalyzer in the semiconscious drive who was later airlifted out. I was in disbelief with them doing that... Thank God alcohol was not a factor or he definitely would be hung out to dry. Thanks for the well wishes. We all follow OSO almost daily.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Registered

glad everyone is ok
Old 09-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rchuntlsl
These guys were running next to us in the start of the poker run on friday. We were in my buddies 38' donzi till a drive let loose 40 miles from the dock.(8 hr drive back) That guy in the video, I think he said he was from Iowa, but I believe they regularly boat at the lake. The Lake of the Ozarks is very difficult to boat at and crazy stuff happens here. The waves are so big and they come from every direction and double up all the time making them very unpredictable. People just don't understand till they get here. Some people we know were up here from TX and stuffed their 36' concept center console. Tore up the boat and sent a couple of them to the hospital with minor injuries. They were ultra experienced boaters. Driving here is a whole different world. I have stuffed my boat more than once. We stuffed the 38' donzi zr last year. On Saturday leaving the shootout we had a wave come halfway up the sun pad on the 42' searay.

Check out this video of leaving the shoot out that someone posted on you tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTJpDZ6sqkw
This is the craziest boating day of the year. It did not help that a storm rolled in and chased thousands of boats out at once.
Yes, the water is nasty and changed at every turn!
Old 09-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 872 Likes on 321 Posts

Sorry everybody is going through this, I hope you all recover quick. I for one would like to know why this happened from the more knowledgeable members so we can learn from this.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Registered

Red face

Originally Posted by glassdave
+1 . . . . it terrifies me how many operators simply cannot read their environment or are aware of their own abilities.

ad "Kodak Courage" and a camera to that and . . . . well . . . .

noticed that to did'ya. Mark of a throttle man that is clueless right there . . . . full on / full off / full on / full off . . . . .
also lost one of the throttles, I drove with a friend like that, I warned him to stop all the chopping or somethings going to break. it did and I jumped boats lol. I seen a 42 beeker do that at the cape cod races during practice. thought they rolled, one second there going west next second east. he skipped the race the next day and hung his gloves up for good. glad all were ok on the lake.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DrReedJ
Hey guys, I was a passenger in this boat during the accident. Yes, there are many cardinal rules broken. The most important one I feel is no life jackets worn. As crazy as it seems, we had jackets for each person but as the poker run began we realized no one else was wearing them..... How foolish we were. I have read so many nasty comments on YouTube and other sites I am in shock. My wife suffered 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and a broken foot. She has not left the house since getting home. She is in severe pain. The driver crushed his eye orbital and broke hus back at T8 ( he is a former F-2 racer with APBA). Another passenger who raced professionally for many years broke his pelvis in several places and is in a wheelchair. One of the other girls crushed her eye orbital also. The guy from lake tv fractured his hip and broke his wrist. My injuries were minor compared, busted my head open and damaged a rib or two. Everyone is black and blue. This was a very upsetting event for everyone involved. I have been around powerboats for many years and it only takes on unguarded minute to loose a life or permanently hurt people you love. I am very thankful this did not end up worse. I hope everyone learns from this. I know I will boat differently. All of the guys in the boat are members of OSO. I think it is necessary to break down the accident and discuss this, just remember these are real people who like you who love power boating and do it every weekend.
DrReedJ, glad to hear everyone will heal. The video is a great reminder of how fast things can go wrong on the water. It's very easy to get caught up in the moment during these events and wind up over throttling the boat..I'm sure the driver feels bad enough physically and emotionally with regards to this accident (without every bashing him). What should've been a fun event for all involved turned to tradgedy. The important thing is that everyone will be ok and it's and eye opener for all of us to be carefull.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad all will recover,,,, albiet after some recovering,,,,, no point in rubbing salt in a wound,,,,,,we all know what happened and lessons learned
Old 09-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Registered

Speed this all comes down to speed. If the water is that rough, and unpredictable, why were they going so fast. Sounds like they should have been going at idle speed.

Glad no one was killed, and hope all come out ok.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.