Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-02-2012, 04:52 PM
GB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Multiple Poker Run entrants not wearing life jackets is more bothersome then one boat operators error. Sounds like a complete breakdown of poker run protocol.
ed
Best post to date....Peer pressure has killed many.

Grateful ...everyone involved will recover from this unfortunate event..... and the viewers/posters come away with a better understanding of safety.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrReedJ
Hey guys, I was a passenger in this boat during the accident. Yes, there are many cardinal rules broken. The most important one I feel is no life jackets worn. As crazy as it seems, we had jackets for each person but as the poker run began we realized no one else was wearing them..... How foolish we were. I have read so many nasty comments on YouTube and other sites I am in shock. My wife suffered 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and a broken foot. She has not left the house since getting home. She is in severe pain. The driver crushed his eye orbital and broke hus back at T8 ( he is a former F-2 racer with APBA). Another passenger who raced professionally for many years broke his pelvis in several places and is in a wheelchair. One of the other girls crushed her eye orbital also. The guy from lake tv fractured his hip and broke his wrist. My injuries were minor compared, busted my head open and damaged a rib or two. Everyone is black and blue. This was a very upsetting event for everyone involved. I have been around powerboats for many years and it only takes on unguarded minute to loose a life or permanently hurt people you love. I am very thankful this did not end up worse. I hope everyone learns from this. I know I will boat differently. All of the guys in the boat are members of OSO. I think it is necessary to break down the accident and discuss this, just remember these are real people who like you who love power boating and do it every weekend.

Glad your wife and you will be ok.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 338 Likes on 133 Posts

I think there is a slight mis-understanding. It was not a Poker Run, it was a Fun Run. There was no sanctioning body running it, just a bunch of power boaters that got together to have a great day running up the lake, albeit it, we ended up with 50+ boats.

People keep harping on speed, If they are like us, due to being so rough, they were likely between 50 and 60 mph. (I have no idea for sure how fast they were going, but that seemed to be the average for us and everyone around our group) It does look fast on video because LOTO can get rough and you bounce ALOT.

I have taken Tres's course and can highly recommend it. It will not stop all accidents, but it will give you better understanding what can happen and how to try and not have it happen.

From reading DrReeds entry, none of these guys were beginners, Hopefully we can all learn from this and realize how not everyone is perfect at all times. (The best of the best can make mistakes too)

DrReed1, best wishes to you, your family and friends!

And the best learned lesson here: No matter how short of a trip you are going, wear your tether and wear jackets. And above all, practice what you preach, I am proud o say, I do (At least when it comes to tether and jacket)

Last edited by bajaholic; 09-02-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Registered

Now I see why Apache's are all padded in the cockpit, use to think it was just an easy way to cover up everything. I would be moving those grab handles maybe some sort of cut out, a shot like that to the head could kill you for sure. Glad everybody will be ok, and it's a good thing they were all boaters and were watching and trying to hold on , if they were just taking in the sights some could have been tossed out an drown.

I wonder how many pairs of glasses are at the bottom of that lake, looked like 3 went in on that one.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Registered

Wish everyone involved speedy recovery ! On a lighter note Congratulations just watched the footage on ABC nightly news EST Sunday 9-2-2012
Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
I think there is a slight mis-understanding. It was not a Poker Run, it was a Fun Run. There was no sanctioning body running it, just a bunch of power boaters that got together to have a great day running up the lake, albeit it, we ended up with 50+ boats.

People keep harping on speed, If they are like us, due to being so rough, they were likely between 50 and 60 mph. (I have no idea for sure how fast they were going, but that seemed to be the average for us and everyone around our group) It does look fast on video because LOTO can get rough and you bounce ALOT.

I have taken Tres's course and can highly recommend it. It will not stop all accidents, but it will give you better understanding what can happen and how to try and not have it happen.

From reading DrReeds entry, none of these guys were beginners, Hopefully we can all learn from this and realize how not everyone is perfect at all times. (The best of the best can make mistakes too)

DrReed1, best wishes to you, your family and friends!

And the best learned lesson here: No matter how short of a trip you are going, wear your tether and wear jackets. And above all, practice
what you preach, I am proud o say, I do (At least when it comes to tether and jacket)
There was both a poker run and a 'fun' run on Friday. Regardless, check your ego and take Tres' class, you will learn something beneficial. Hope all recover soon.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
DrReed, thanks for sharing some first hand details on this tragic accident. Hoping all involved a successful recovery. This video is a real eye opener on how quickly things can go wrong.

I know hindsight is 20-20, but I have to wonder what was going through your mind prior to the accident? How long were you guys running before the accident and at what speeds? Were there any signs that the driver/boat were not handling the conditions very well? I am surprised none of you told the driver to ease up a bit in that kind of water or said it was time to break out the life vests. I believe I would have been yelling at the driver and I know my wife would have likely pulled the keys!

I only have a 70 mph 292, but have run pretty hard in rough water. My wife is definitely my speed limiter in those conditions, and I respect her and any passengers desires to slow down. Running solo I push it harder, but have never been out of control. This video has caused me to definitely think twice about pushing it too hard.

Again, sorry to hear how serious the injuries are and hope everyone has a speedy recovery.
From what I remember it happened within the first couple of minutes of that run... I was sitting in back and fairly worn out from the day. I remember rolling pretty good with minimal chop and then three or four big hits... The next thing I knew I felt my head banging on something getting harder each time and then tons of water pouring in...it went from smooth to nasty seemingly so quick... I believe the last stop was still within view when the accident occurred.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrReedJ
Hey guys, I was a passenger in this boat during the accident. Yes, there are many cardinal rules broken. The most important one I feel is no life jackets worn. As crazy as it seems, we had jackets for each person but as the poker run began we realized no one else was wearing them..... How foolish we were. I have read so many nasty comments on YouTube and other sites I am in shock. My wife suffered 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and a broken foot. She has not left the house since getting home. She is in severe pain. The driver crushed his eye orbital and broke hus back at T8 ( he is a former F-2 racer with APBA). Another passenger who raced professionally for many years broke his pelvis in several places and is in a wheelchair. One of the other girls crushed her eye orbital also. The guy from lake tv fractured his hip and broke his wrist. My injuries were minor compared, busted my head open and damaged a rib or two. Everyone is black and blue. This was a very upsetting event for everyone involved. I have been around powerboats for many years and it only takes on unguarded minute to loose a life or permanently hurt people you love. I am very thankful this did not end up worse. I hope everyone learns from this. I know I will boat differently. All of the guys in the boat are members of OSO. I think it is necessary to break down the accident and discuss this, just remember these are real people who like you who love power boating and do it every weekend.
Thank you for posting. As bad as this was, maybe others can benefit from it with knowledge. I am trying to start my "performance boating" time with my little 272 "soon", seeing things like this helps to idle my ambition for going fast so I can take my time and learn how my boat will run.

It also points out just how violent a crash can be at a current day "moderate" speed and what results. That is not a small boat being a 34' vee hull (38 in fountain terms - the beak and platform).

So, for those of us who are new or just starting out, what happened? I know, it spun, rough water and such. But, was it a stepped bottom or straight? Being a fountain, did the bottom design verse a typical 24 degree add to it? Besides throttling back, what else would have helped to control the boat?

And life jackets! This summer we rented a pontoon boat to go out on lake superior for pictured rocks, All 7 of us had those orange hunting vest on. Guy at the dock ribbed me about it being hunting season, but who cares. If anything happened out on that lake, even close to shore, we would be gone in that cold water!

Hard to believe the lady in the pink got away with "minor" injuries with that face plant to the side of the cockpit. Or is a crushed eye orbital considered minor by the patrol? That hurts to watch as others have said. It was amazing how fast that driver was just "removed" from control of the boat. I still need to add a tether to my old vessel.

Brian
Old 09-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Registered

Made CBS this morning. Sweet
Old 09-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Registered

Yes it was on fox news today. This is disappointing, as it may be used in the future for any reason for example our boating rights!! The fact that anyone may have been tossed out without PROPER life jackets may have been tragic. This with proper instruction could have been avoided. Settings and reactions are contributors as well the conditions. This bothers me just to watch as some may laugh, the insurance companies will not. Without high jacking this thread, Tres Martin’s Performance Boat School will donate a Lifeline Jacket to every person who enrolls in the month of September 2012 for HPC and UPC course only.
Hoping for a speedy recovery to all those injured in the boat.
Good knowledge and skills can save lives!
www.performanceboatschool.com

(Jackets will be issued after the completion of the course, high performance pleasure jacket only #160, a $360 dollar value, tax and shipping charges not included)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.