Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me first jump on the Tres band wagon as I didn't want to "have" to take the course... Been running fast boats for years with nothing close to an incident. Wanted a cat and ta da... "have" to take the course. Well I can say that it probably saved me eventually having something happen catastrophic. You might be like me and not think you need any instruction but if you learn just one thing about your boat or the trim angle or the tab settings that could save you... what's the price of you or your passengers safety? for many of us the price of the course is a lot less than our deductible so stick your pride in a sock and give Tres a call.

I am like others and really hate that somebody posted that video. If you have a video of something bad happening ... keep it to yourself as it does nothing but promote that our sport is violent and for crazy folks. Don't think for a second that the insurance industry isn't watching and just can't wait to raise our rates or deductibles or whatever. The water is the last place in America we can get out with some freedom and use big horsepower. The YouTube jockeys are ruining it for us all!!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrReedJ
From what I remember it happened within the first couple of minutes of that run... I was sitting in back and fairly worn out from the day. I remember rolling pretty good with minimal chop and then three or four big hits... The next thing I knew I felt my head banging on something getting harder each time and then tons of water pouring in...it went from smooth to nasty seemingly so quick... I believe the last stop was still within view when the accident occurred.
DrReedJ, I am glad everyone survived this horrific incident and I hope your wife starts feeling better sooner than later!

It sounds like the boat hit the classic cruiser wake. These wakes are nothing but destructive to people and property but for some reason they are the elephant in the room. There needs to be a discussion regarding open water ships, traveling at open water speeds on a lake while they go for a burger and beer. Don't get me wrong, I love big boats and would love to own one, but not on a lake in the middle of the country. Just a couple of weeks ago there was another video that involved a famous cat, experienced driver, high speed and a very negative outcome. The easiest fix "they" will suggest is more than likely an imposed speed limit, but the destructive wakes will still be present because the ship captains are operating at the safe speed of 25knots.

At the Lake of the Ozarks the "Falls Within a Boat" is the most common incident report made by the Water Patrol. Sadly this is not the first time there has been serious injuries caused by destructive wakes, only this is the first time it has been caught on video that is now making National News.

I wonder if the cruisers of The Lake that were out that day feel bad that it may just have their wake that caused this incident? Something tells me they haven't even given it a second thought.

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Just a sanity check here: y'all know that you don't pull the sticks all the way back when you air the props right?
Originally Posted by flat rate
There is a guy on MWBP that says he watches boat vids on you tube all the time and thats how everyone throttles a boat in the rough! LMFAO!
A lot of comments have been made regarding the throttle work of the captain, but there hasn't been any discussion on what could have been a better way to operate them. I am not looking for the arm chair QB, but rather if we could learn a better technique from this that would be great. I have heard and seen many myself operate sticks in the same manor and if there is a better way I am all about learning.

Another question I have, what effect if any did the "stepped hull" play? I have always heard the steps are not very forgiving.

Last edited by TW720HVY; 09-03-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
DrReedJ, I am glad everyone survived this horrific incident and I hope your wife starts feeling better sooner than later!

It sounds like the boat hit the classic cruiser wake. These wakes are nothing but destructive to people and property but for some reason they are the elephant in the room. There needs to be a discussion regarding open water ships, traveling at open water speeds on a lake while they go for a burger and beer. Don't get me wrong, I love big boats and would love to own one, but not on a lake in the middle of the country. Just a couple of weeks ago there was another video that involved a famous cat, experienced driver, high speed and a very negative outcome. The easiest fix "they" will suggest is more than likely an imposed speed limit, but the destructive wakes will still be present because the ship captains are operating at the safe speed of 25knots.

At the Lake of the Ozarks the "Falls Within a Boat" is the most common incident report made by the Water Patrol. Sadly this is not the first time there has been serious injuries caused by destructive wakes, only this is the first time it has been caught on video that is now making National News.

I wonder if the cruisers of The Lake that were out that day feel bad that it may just have their wake that caused this incident? Something tells me they haven't even given it a second thought.

A lot of comments have been made regarding the throttle work of the captain, but there hasn't been any discussion on what could have been a better way to operate them. I am not looking for the arm chair QB, but rather if we could learn a better technique from this that would be great. I have heard and seen many myself operate sticks in the same manor and if there is a better way I am all about learning.

Another question I have, what effect if any did the "stepped hull" play? I have always heard the steps are not very forgiving.
Full throttle on that lake in those conditions with seven people in a boat that has five seats? I'd say no matter what happened, the root cause was negligence on the captain for operating way too fast under those conditons.

I would have been extremely angry had that knumbskull captain done that if I was onboard.

I'm glad they are all going to be ok.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like the boat hit the classic cruiser wake. These wakes are nothing but destructive to people and property but for some reason they are the elephant in the room. There needs to be a discussion regarding open water ships, traveling at open water speeds on a lake while they go for a burger and beer. Don't get me wrong, I love big boats and would love to own one, but not on a lake in the middle of the country. Just a couple of weeks ago there was another video that involved a famous cat, experienced driver, high speed and a very negative outcome. The easiest
fix "they" will suggest is more than likely an imposed speed limit, but the destructive wakes will still be
present because the ship captains are operating at the safe speed of 25knots.

A lot of comments have been made regarding the throttle work of the captain, but there hasn't been any discussion on what could have been a better way to operate them. I am not looking for the arm chair QB, but rather if we could learn a better technique from this that would be great.
I have heard and seen many myself operate sticks in the same manor and if there is a better way I am all about learning.

Another "blame it on the cruiser wake" hmmm, I never saw a cruiser in the video. Remember this accident?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2x...ating-acc_news

Classic trip and stuff like the subject Fountain accident - no cruiser here either, blamed it on "irregular wave set" how about the possibility that the
drives/tabs were out/up???

Last edited by omerta one; 09-03-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Registered

I remember rolling pretty good with minimal chop and then three or four big hits... The next thing I knew I felt my head banging on something getting harder each time and then tons of water pouring in...it went from smooth to nasty seemingly so quick...

There is absolutely no doubt there were several factors that attributed to the negative out come. And yes, reading the post from DrReedJ "irregular wave sets" was a factor. But what caused them? I have boated The Lake with nothing but 20'-35' boats making the rough water and I have also boated The Lake when nothing but large ships were making the rough water. There is a night and difference in the water conditions and being a LOTO boater yourself know exactly what I am talking about. I completely agree that the responsibility lies directing on the captain of his or her boat to make sure the passengers are safe. Again no question! But just like you and I have the responsibility to our passengers we also have a responsibility to those around us that our boat's speed and wake does not create a hazard to persons or property. It is the indirect effect or contributing factor that I am trying to point out.

Last edited by TW720HVY; 09-03-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree that the responsibility lies directing on the captain of his or her boat to make sure the passengers are safe. Again no question! But just like you and I have the responsibility to our passengers we also have a responsibility to those around us that our boat's speed and wake does not create a hazard to persons or property. It is the indirect effect or contributing factor that I am trying to point out.
Someone gets it.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 1,914 Likes on 748 Posts
Default Interesting how things change once....

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
Someone gets it.
you "get it". When we understand and accept the responsibility of our passengers and those around us things change drastically.
It's getting old seeing the effects of those who don't on those that don't know.
I know my wifes attitude towards going fast in the boat has changed drastically since she "got it". When we were taking our 100 MPH+ 19' O/B to rallys and she watched all her friends jump in care free and go fast w/their friends/husbands yet she had to wear a race vest (yes a real one w/leg straps) in our boat and a helmet if we were playing hard. I knew this would change her attitude towards our hobby/sport but, I still have my wife.
I also figure every time someone saw me/us dressed like that it would at least make them think or hopefully strike up a conversation on the subject of safety.
Every time I see a video similar to the one in question I feel sorry for the innocent passengers and imagine trying to explain to them why they are in the hospital (or worse) or why I didn't explain the risk to them before hand so they could make that decision for them selves.

Then you read of the people wanting to try and sweep these incidents under the rug even though they are happening with more and more alarming regularity.
I remember the accident in Lake Erie w/the guy showing off in his stepped Vee while cranking it hard into a turn after closing on a break wall way sooner than he thought.
Boat hooks and spins ejecting and killing two passengers. Here's the part that tears me up. The passengers were just two guys that were admiring the boat at dock and asked for a ride.
Divers were still looking for their bodies and NO ONE ON THE BOAT EVEN KNEW THEIR NAMES
Old 09-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tres
Yes it was on fox news today. This is disappointing, as it may be used in the future for any reason for example our boating rights!! The fact that anyone may have been tossed out without PROPER life jackets may have been tragic. This with proper instruction could have been avoided. Settings and reactions are contributors as well the conditions. This bothers me just to watch as some may laugh, the insurance companies will not. Without high jacking this thread, Tres Martin’s Performance Boat School will donate a Lifeline Jacket to every person who enrolls in the month of September 2012 for HPC and UPC course only.
Hoping for a speedy recovery to all those injured in the boat.
Good knowledge and skills can save lives!
www.performanceboatschool.com

(Jackets will be issued after the completion of the course, high performance pleasure jacket only #160, a $360 dollar value, tax and shipping charges not included)
Tres from watching the video can you give us your opinion so we don't make the same mistake?I cant understand the spin out??Blown drive??Was it trimmed out wrong?Throttling?Thanks Tres!
Old 09-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi,

We have experienced several serious and fatal boat accidents in Norway the last couple of years. Key elements are: stepped hulls, no life vests, people standing and darkness. And alcohol. Most likely the driver suddenly see something in front, do a quick turn, the boat spins out, the passengers are ejected since they are standing and get no warning. And no vest makes the outcome very bad.

There are a vast amount of stepped rib hulls in Norway. Many of drivers have litlle experience with these hulls and drive them like a regular v hulls.

What suprises me is that people do not sit down when a boat is running on plane and fast. And life vest, its obligatory. Luckily everything went ok.

Cheeers, Toffen
Old 09-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Registered

Maybe the driver is an engineer. Ones and Zeros. Tragic nonetheless!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.