Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
It sounds like the boat hit the classic cruiser wake. These wakes are nothing but destructive to people and property but for some reason they are the elephant in the room. There needs to be a discussion regarding open water ships, traveling at open water speeds on a lake while they go for a burger and beer. Don't get me wrong, I love big boats and would love to own one, but not on a lake in the middle of the country. Just a couple of weeks ago there was another video that involved a famous cat, experienced driver, high speed and a very negative outcome. The easiest fix "they" will suggest is more than likely an imposed speed limit, but the destructive wakes will still be present because the ship captains are operating at the safe speed of 25knots.

At the Lake of the Ozarks the "Falls Within a Boat" is the most common incident report made by the Water Patrol. Sadly this is not the first time there has been serious injuries caused by destructive wakes, only this is the first time it has been caught on video that is now making National News.

I wonder if the cruisers of The Lake that were out that day feel bad that it may just have their wake that caused this incident? Something tells me they haven't even given it a second thought.

A lot of comments have been made regarding the throttle work of the captain, but there hasn't been any discussion on what could have been a better way to operate them. I am not looking for the arm chair QB, but rather if we could learn a better technique from this that would be great. I have heard and seen many myself operate sticks in the same manor and if there is a better way I am all about learning.

Another question I have, what effect if any did the "stepped hull" play? I have always heard the steps are not very forgiving.

Every single year, there are accidents just like this. It's pretty obvious to most every boater what happened and why when reviewing the video. To "most" boaters, it's not the fault of whatever the wake that was hit, whether he had his gold chain a bit too tight, or he ran out of beer too early.

Just like this viedeo

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2x...ating-acc_news

It's an example of unsafe driving. It endangered many people, and injured his own passengers.

As was the case with both My Way incidents, it's just too damn bad that you can't put down the throttle and go as fast as you want, whenever you want, wherever you want. Blame it on a wave, a stepped boat, bad tequila, whatever. The vast majority of boaters see it as a threat, whether they like performance boats or not. Very predictable.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Still dont understand blaming cruiser wake... smh

Everyone could be in paddleboats with trolling motors at next years shootout... and i bet some asshat would still figure out a way to show his lack of judgement.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something like this can happen to any of us at any time... is the driver to blame? maybe, but im sure we are all guilty of driving to fast for conditions at one time or another.

I wish everyone a speedy recovery. Be safe friends.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too many people standing to to be running throttle full forward to begin with, not enough seating and not enough precautions by the Captain led to a wicked outcome IMO. Then no jackets either nor tether in a fun run with 50 or so boats as well?
Reminds me of my last poker run I went to in Peroria Il. 20-30 boats not kowing any of them nor their skill or common sense set. I was the only boat in the bunch making sure the couple with us and my wife and I wore good jackets. - I was shocked.
Wife asked why we had to cause "no one else was" Now I can show her why thanks to go pro. Last poker run I have ever attended cause of the way that poker run shook out.
Not fun when you know others don't take any saftey precautions to begin with.

Wishing all a speedy recovery and a lesson well learned.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Every single year, there are accidents just like this. It's pretty obvious to most every boater what happened and why when reviewing the video. To "most" boaters, it's not the fault of whatever the wake that was hit, whether he had his gold chain a bit too tight, or he ran out of beer too early.

Just like this viedeo

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2x...ating-acc_news

It's an example of unsafe driving. It endangered many people, and injured his own passengers.

As was the case with both My Way incidents, it's just too damn bad that you can't put down the throttle and go as fast as you want, whenever you want, wherever you want. Blame it on a wave, a stepped boat, bad tequila, whatever. The vast majority of boaters see it as a threat, whether they like performance boats or not. Very predictable.
Good find after watching this video I have a better idea of what may have happened??It makes you think twice about running hard with passengers!!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doe's any one know approx. speed he was going? i am going to guess 90? motors are supercharged? it looks like a major launch from miss timing on throttles?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ratedx
doe's any one know approx. speed he was going? i am going to guess 90? motors are supercharged? it looks like a major launch from miss timing on throttles?
Doubt 90, prob in the 50-70 range.

John jr
Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 519 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by PigNaPoke
Still dont understand blaming cruiser wake... smh

Everyone could be in paddleboats with trolling motors at next years shootout... and i bet some asshat would still figure out a way to show his lack of judgement.
Me neither, They got the right to be out there also.

Originally Posted by ratedx
Same here, seems the throttles were all the way forward.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by customryder
Something like this can happen to any of us at any time... is the driver to blame? maybe, but im sure we are all guilty of driving to fast for conditions at one time or another.

I wish everyone a speedy recovery. Be safe friends.
I agree,fast boat going fast,it can happen,I think the Driver was caught up in the moment with the camera in the boat,and I am sure the Guy feels bad enough for hurting the passengers,glad they are all o.k.,I have been a few times but never with a bad outcome like that,I am guessing that was a stepped hull,flaps down and drives out?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Doubt 90, prob in the 50-70 range.

John jr
I'm betting far north of 70. Look at the video, you will see where he over takes another boat at speed. That 38 Fountain was haulin the mail.

Last edited by Nightlife1970; 09-03-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.