Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, The guy in the blue shirt was hangin on w both hands. He was the smart one. I would say if the driver would not have lifted the fountain would have pulled it w a little counter steer.. I think he let off and caught the chine. He totally panicked
Old 09-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Down in S. FL in the ICW boaters are responsible for their wakes and the damage they cause like in the video above. I agree that they too have to be responsible but what is happening here is that they responded to the complaints by adding more NO WAKE ZONES and made most of our area Idle/Slow speed for ALL boaters including small boats. It is a lose lose for us.
As far as the incident goes the driver should have been more aware of the effects of the conditions around him. You cannot blame any other boats . I am sure like down here if you have 50 boats running in a closed waterway with seawalls or rocks on both sides where the waves bounce back and forth it would get plenty rough from all angles from just the Poker Run boats even if there no cruisers.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been watching this video all weekend. a friend sent it to me.

I cant imagine my 34 doing something like that. it tops out in mid 60s, and I dont run in anything ruff like that, maybe 30-40 at most, so maybe it wont but that video amazes me for sure.

Hope all recover fast, and 100%.

would love to read more what actually happened, and how it can be avoided.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 945 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Down in S. FL in the ICW boaters are responsible for their wakes and the damage they cause like in the video above. I agree that they too have to be responsible but what is happening here is that they responded to the complaints by adding more NO WAKE ZONES and made most of our area Idle/Slow speed for ALL boaters including small boats. It is a lose lose for us.
As far as the incident goes the driver should have been more aware of the effects of the conditions around him. You cannot blame any other boats . I am sure like down here if you have 50 boats running in a closed waterway with seawalls or rocks on both sides where the waves bounce back and forth it would get plenty rough from all angles from just the Poker Run boats even if there no cruisers.

Yeah but they also used the "manatee" excuse for slowing boats down. The ICW in Broward is usually seawalled on both sides, combined with a lot of boat traffic and it was too crazy for most people especially in a 20 ft boat.

I think you can still go 30 in some parts on weekdays outside of manatee season.

FYI most of Boca Raton has gone "no wake" in the ICW and 20 years ago it was all wide open with the exception of Lake Boca of course.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
I completely agree they have a right to be on the water also and I am NOT saying they need to be off the water. But they, like us need to be responsible for their actions.

Maybe this example will help clear up what I was trying to say...

I have my pickup truck loaded with 6" rock going down the interstate (which I have a right to drive on) and while minding my own business enjoying the day I'm dropping my 6" rock all over the interstate behind me. You guys will not have a problem with all that rock taring up your personal property or worse the accidents it may cause behind me?

Something tells me this would NOT sit well with anyone, so why should it be any different on the water. These are open water ships that produce open water wakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPp-SnoJ7fw

In that video that is just one, now imagine 6 or 8 producing the same wakes.
I will say in that case there needs to be some control, that channel was to narrow for him to roll threw like that, is all of loto like that? I thought it was a pretty wide and open place but also had long narrows like that video, if so the need to do something in them narrows
Old 09-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Banned

Question

Hope all speedy recovery sad!My 02 don't mess with throttles when passing or crossing big wake !Put your tabs down drives in hit the wake strait on if possible!!He was was moving pretty good also maybe more photos or videos will come out ?Hope he keeps boating also and takes some advice racer or not!Peace
Old 09-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Too early?

http://whatisboating.ytmnd.com/

Speedy recovery to all !!
Ok I will admit it that made me laugh.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
I will say in that case there needs to be some control, that channel was to narrow for him to roll threw like that, is all of loto like that? I thought it was a pretty wide and open place but also had long narrows like that video, if so the need to do something in them narrows
LOTO is basically a river. No wide open spaces on it. As for the video, if you are going to have a dock off the channel you best invest in a rough water dock with a breakwall.

Best wishes to those injured for a speedy and full recovery.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Because there are many states and local jurisdictions that have laws against traveling on public roadways while dropping 6" rock all over the place. Probably why dump trucks and the like are generally required to have their loads tied down and/or covered. That's just common sense.

The cruiser in question wasn't doing anything unlawful. Perhaps it would be appropriate to make a new law that says cruisers can't go faster than no wake speed, but fast boats can go 160 or over 200 mph anywhere? I've know since I was 5 years old that cruisers make big wakes, as do moderate sized boats with 24 degree Vee hulls.

I'm sure everyone has seen the ego shots of boats roaring up from behind a cruiser so the photographer can get a neat shot of the boat airborne over the wave. Pretty sure everyone has also seen the over-trimmed boat doing the same, right before stuffing the boat and ejecting all of the passengers. Is that the cruiser's fault as well?

These are public waterways, not private ones.
Exactly my point!

Again I will say it, we all have to take responsibility for our actions whether it is 4'-5' rollers on the way to the beer and burger OR 150MPH while showing off! (One of the lakes we boat on actually has a 50MPH speed limit and there are cruisers that can just throw rollers)

Do you think those local laws where put in place with the first pick-up or dump truck that hit our roads? No, "common sense" most of the time doesn't exist and sadly laws and rules are put in place to protect us from ourselves!

When I was 5 years old a 20' boat was huge! So was my 3 bedroom 1.5 bathroom (that we all had to share) house that I grew up in, times sure have changed. For the math I'm 41.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

This guy is an apba racer? What is he doing with the throttles? It is a combustion engine. Dumping fuel and closing the butterfly's as fast as you can would make a boat slide with no propulsion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.