Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am by no means blaming a cruiser for its wake. What I was trying to explain is most cruisers can get up on plane, most boats are designed to plane not to plow. I have seen 33 Sundancers up on plane throw a 8" wake and have seen the same boat with an idiot captain throw a 8' wake. I actually chatted with ferry captain one day about this and he said that a lot of new boaters think by going slow and not getting up on plane will save gas. What they don't realize is they are burning more by plowing the water and churning up good water.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I still can`t believe that`s a mother/daughter.. the mother looks like shes 20 something and hot!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Okay, crazy question time, but aren't those the most shallow bolsers you have ever seen? It's all I can do to wedge into the bolsters in my OL (bench is tripple bolstered as well) and even the bolsters in my old school Cafe Racer were seriously deep. Maybe it is just camera angle, but is looks like those didn't do anything to slow anyone down - maybe something to think about next time you want to dial it up...?

And yes, both of the visible girls were doing serious justice to those suits and I wish all a very speedy recovery.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zschaefer38
I am by no means blaming a cruiser for its wake. What I was trying to explain is most cruisers can get up on plane, most boats are designed to plane not to plow. I have seen 33 Sundancers up on plane throw a 8" wake and have seen the same boat with an idiot captain throw a 8' wake..
And what makes matter worse is that the inexperienced boater or observer is usually yelling at the cruiser to slow down while he is on plane, but as zschaefer points out, if he does that he throws out a huge wake.

Some of this cruiser / wake talk reminds me of the car driver who thinks anyone on the highway that is going slower than he is must be stupid, but anyone going faster than he is must be an idiot.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wellcrafted
What about the idiot sitting up on the motor hatch, No vests, no kill switch. WTF
The video was edited with several minutes between us idling out and the accident...
Old 09-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I still can`t believe that`s a mother/daughter.. the mother looks like shes 20 something and hot!
Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Wow that could possibly be the stupidest thing Ive ever read on here.

We now know these people incurred serious injury. No more joking please.

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 09-04-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
looking forward to reading your take on this......thanks in advance........
same here Tres !!!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:33 PM
yss
Registered

Jesus that's a violent crash. Watching him throttle is painful enough. Then you get to watch everyone smashing their faces. OUCH...

When a boat starts getting outta shape most people slow it down. He just wanted to keep the hammer DOWN no matter what. Wow. Sunglasses everywhere!

Last edited by yss; 09-04-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
Question for those of you that do your boating on small inland lakes like LOTO. How big does the water really get?

I have spent my life on the Atlantic ocean as a pleasure boater and offshore racer. The only lake boating I have ever done is on the Great Lakes and that was racing. As an ocean boater I find it very difficult to believe that a driver with any seat time at all would have a hard time navigating boat wakes. I'm not trying to place blame just trying to figure out why people seem to be having such a difficult time with these wakes.
It is actually wave span that makes these small bodies difficult. I suspect most inland water with limited depth has very similar patterns, close and steep without real direction. In Lake Erie our average span is only about thirty feet and thats where you get the term washing machine chop, its is very tough to read. I have raced in tens in the Atlantic and would take that any day over three to fives here. Funny thing is the absolute worst water i have ever been (in terms of racing) has been the north end of the Saint Clair river, testing one day there was about a nine mph current with a twenty plus mph wind running right up river in the opposite direction. Evil pure evil, i swear the waves were square shaped, only threes/fours or so and very close together. Ruff as Fukk lol.

I dont understand the boat wake thing either, its a matter of situational awareness. Its ridiculous to blame a cruiser boat captain in any way for something like this. So as a large boat captain i am supposed be responsible for an idiot driving irresponsibly flying over my wake? So what about the jet skis constantly following are you responsible for them if an accident happens? While it is true you are responsible for your wake and there is a time and place for this to hold true. Keep in mind this law/rule was most likely written by lawyers for lawyers to be interpreted later.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 09-04-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad everyone wasn,t more seriously hurt. Now, since nobody can control the actions of others on the water, how about each driver being in control and aware of your surroundings, and adjust accordingly. And I cann,t understand for the life of me why anybody would even try to place a 1 % blame on the trawlers and cruisers that are plowing, or whatever. They are a pretty good size, and if you as a driver aren,t aware that they are out there, then that,s the drivers problem, not the wake makers. And trying to get them to get those tubs on plane, wow, hard to image what that would take. Just MHO, of course. I cann,t believe that the captain in the video is a professional powerboat racer. If you cann,t be aware of crawling trawlers around you, how can you be aware of where everyone is on a race course, were everyone is going very fast, and timing is very critical. Could lack of attention, for even for only a few seconds, been a contributing factor ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.