Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what is the guy in the cruiser supposed to do? Stop the boat everytime another boat comes into view? They will never get where they are going.

I just crossed Lake Erie to Kelleys Island this weekend in my little Baja 220 Sport. (NOT a good rough water boat!) Busy weekend, rough water out by the light house for me. Passed lots of cruisers on the way over and back. Did I flip them the bird? No, I just used common sense and proceeded with caution.

Now the @SSHOLES on the waverunners with tunnel vision........thats a different story!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 485 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Did you guys really go from making the driver responsible for his actions and the safety of his passengers to a guy driving a cruiser making a boat wake?
Haters gonna hate .
Old 09-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jeffswav
You say "Open Water" are you boating in the ocean?
I do boat in the ocean (if you are really asking) - and if it is on a cruiser is is one larger than mine that thows even more wake. But my reference to open water is more directed at navigable waters - that would include the Great Lakes and the major rivers by which one may access the ocean.

And I know what a washing machine looks like - anyone that boats on the West end of Lake Erie does. There is no question that it takes more attention and seamanship to run through mixed seas (be it because of cruiser wakes, go fast wakes, commercial shipping wakes, general sea state, or whatever).

Of course, it is easier to just blame someone else for making a wake...
Old 09-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by redbud35
Rick, I just can't understand why you boat here if you hate the cruisers so much. I hate jet skis, old people hate powerboaters, small boat owners hate cruisers, and so on. It just seems your on a witch hunt with them. You've made multiple posts on both sites about them.
Alex, PM sent.

Last edited by TW720HVY; 09-04-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DucBoy
I do boat in the ocean (if you are really asking) - and if it is on a cruiser is is one larger than mine that thows even more wake. But my reference to open water is more directed at navigable waters - that would include the Great Lakes and the major rivers by which one may access the ocean.

And I know what a washing machine looks like - anyone that boats on the West end of Lake Erie does. There is no question that it takes more attention and seamanship to run through mixed seas (be it because of cruiser wakes, go fast wakes, commercial shipping wakes, general sea state, or whatever).

Of course, it is easier to just blame someone else for making a wake...
Hate to keep getting this off track with the cruiser wake issue. But it is a problem at LOTO. Most of them do not boat like you are talking about. They tend to stick there nose up in the air and throw up huge swells.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
I hate the fact that when we hit these cruiser wakes it tears our boat and everything in it up.
Sounds like you need a better boat... I hit cruiser wakes every day numerous times a day on the Detroit river, Some that have sent us skyward for what seemed like an eternity. Yet my little Velocity 260 has never been torn up or broken. It sounds like you should be hanging out on a private lake full of pontoons. Oh wait those make wakes too... Never mind, may be a pond with row boats..

Sorry it appears this thread has gone off the tracks. Has anyone confirmed this accident was caused by a "cruiser wake". I read this happened during a poker run, did all of the boats in the poker run, run up on this cruiser? If so all of the other participants made it through this destructive wave.

Last edited by low_psi; 09-04-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Did you guys really go from making the driver responsible for his actions and the safety of his passengers to a guy driving a cruiser making a boat wake?
Pat, I keep scratching my head about the same thing! The operator of the boat is responsible for maintaining safe conditions for his passengers and should know how to read the water ahead and throttle appropriately. Yes, this drive made a mistake and has taken a beating because of it..physically and literally. There's no need for him to get ragged upon more than he has. Luckily, everyone will heal and a lesson has been learned.......
Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
Alex, first, are you saying I hate everything and everyone?
I'M NOT SURE HOW YOU GOT THAT OUT OF WHAT I POSTED.

Hell, for all we know that little 6 year old girl may have been killed after a cruiser wake crushed her into the dock or sea wall.

THATS REDICULOUS. IM NOT GOING TO TOUCH THAT ONE.
Either way, maybe we'll catch up on the harbor hop. Have a good remainder of the summer.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was on The Lake the last two weekends, just like many years before. We came upon a particulary rough spot near the Toll Bridge yesterday. Odd thing - not a big cruiser for a mile in either direction. Just A LOT of smaller boats on plane.

An observation...
Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 485 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
Sounds like you need a better boat... I hit cruiser wakes every day numerous times a day on the Detroit river, Some that have sent us skyward for what seemed like an eternity. Yet my little Velocity 260 has never been torn up or broken. It sounds like you should be hanging out on a private lake full of pontoons. Oh wait those make wakes too... Never mind, may be a pond with row boats..

Sorry it appears this thread has gone off the tracks. Has anyone confirmed this accident was caused by a "cruiser wake". I read this happened during a poker run, did all of the boats in the poker run, run up on this cruiser? If so all of the other participants made it through this destructive wave.
Why so serioussaaaa ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.