Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soflow1
I'll expand on that thought a bit further...

I think we all have to be tolerant of one another...cruisers, go fast boats, and jet skis. I own all three, a large cruiser, a go fast boat, and two jet skis. I see all angles regarding peoples complaints about the others. I prefer personal responsibility, that is I can't control what others do, but I sure am in control of what I do. Each boat Captain is responsible for their own actions and more importantly the safety of their passengers.

It's a slippery slope to blame cruisers and jet skis for being a menace on the water, as I'm sure it wouldn't be all too difficult to make a case that 100+mph go fast boats are a menace too!

I think this thread and video should be a sobering example for all of us of how fast things can go wrong. I for one would not like for laws to be passed banning the operation of anyone one of my toys, nor would I like to be the topic of one of these threads.

Just sayin....
Your "Just sayin" makes an excellent point.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 486 Likes on 178 Posts

I think we all have to be tolerant of one another...cruisers, go fast boats, and jet skis. I own all three, a large cruiser, a go fast boat, and two jet skis. I see all angles regarding peoples complaints about the others. I prefer personal responsibility, that is I can't control what others do, but I sure am in control of what I do. Each boat Captain is responsible for their own actions and more importantly the safety of their passengers.

It's a slippery slope to blame cruisers and jet skis for being a menace on the water, as I'm sure it wouldn't be all too difficult to make a case that 100+mph go fast boats are a menace too!

I think this thread and video should be a sobering example for all of us of how fast things can go wrong. I for one would not like for laws to be passed banning the operation of anyone one of my toys, nor would I like to be the topic of one of these threads.

Just sayin....
I agree with you 100% . Unfortunately there will always be those that do nasty things to others and think it's funny . As far as being the topic of one of these threads , i'm sure at one time or another a lot of us could have been !!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
Wow would you look at your true colors, to think I thought we were having an adult discussion earlier.
I'm sure if you were to speak to many of the cruiser owner on that lake, you'd find many went to a large cruiser to defend themselves against large wakes. That's how larger offshore-style boats cam to be on large lakes as well. They handled the waves better. Many performance boaters end up in cruisers, or have both.

I love calm water where I can zip in and out of everywhere to my heart's content, but that isn't real life. We've had a thread about someone doing 160 mph and nearly flipping the boat, followed by cries of cruiser wakes. Now we see live video of a boat operating at high speed with many passengers, in obviously disturbed water conditions, and we hear cries of cruiser wakes.

I've seen videos of some performance boats getting pictures of jumping their boats off, you guessed it, cruiser wakes. Some of those videos ended up with people being injured, ejected, boats totaled or sunk.

At some point, an "adult conversation" has to end up with a discussion of the driver, and hi/her judgment. It's fairly unanimous in both threads that the driver's judgment was not good. In this one, it was completely absent. My "true colors" are to not endanger the lives of my passengers and crew by being a complete idiot. If that offends your theory of cruiser wakes, then so be it.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
Sounds like you need a better boat... I hit cruiser wakes every day numerous times a day on the Detroit river, Some that have sent us skyward for what seemed like an eternity. Yet my little Velocity 260 has never been torn up or broken. It sounds like you should be hanging out on a private lake full of pontoons. Oh wait those make wakes too... Never mind, may be a pond with row boats..

Sorry it appears this thread has gone off the tracks. Has anyone confirmed this accident was caused by a "cruiser wake". I read this happened during a poker run, did all of the boats in the poker run, run up on this cruiser? If so all of the other participants made it through this destructive wave.
Great point, who do these people blame if the wind causes the waves and they hit one, sue mother nature. It's just the drivers fault, thats why you slow down when it's rough. We left the shootout that Saturday in a pontoon boat when a storm was coming, everybody left at the same time and it was very rough. We should have left early before the storm hit, a bad decision on our part. Or maybe we should blame the 500 boats that passed us, it's their fault. Come on man!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by low_psi
Has anyone confirmed this accident was caused by a "cruiser wake". I read this happened during a poker run.
Has anyone confirmed this boat was even in a Poker Run at the time of this filming ?

If it wasn't, the Poker Runs are getting a bad name because of it ... Not to mention the whole sport in general...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RiverDave
Bad deal for sure.. Aside from some very violent and bizarre throttling, you can see at the beginning of the video him dropping the starboard side tab down to balance the boat.. Between that tab on the one side most likely being down further then the other, and being late to the party on all accounts with the throttles.. (On in the air, and off in the water it looks like on the 2nd set) he Just tripped the boat up, and when the boats not happy it will tell you.. He's lucky the boat let them off that easy, because it could've been a lot worse.

Hope they have a speedy recovery.. And being a race boat driver means exactly zero to me. The difference between everyone in this thread and a race boat driver is nothing.. Except some guy nutted up some cash and went and raced a boat. It is not a qualification for anything in life other then saying "yes I raced boats."

RD
Very true!Video is proof tall tales&ego hurts passengers!A lot of so called racers feel the need to throttle agressive?He had a camera going then good turned bad real fast!Very sad for him&crew!Racer or not we all can learn from a mistake!I won't show my wife the video anymore cause she won't go on the boat anymore if I do!!Racing in a circle or in heavy traffic with pleasure boats still need skills!Lets see what Tres says he teaches a school for performance boats!Lets see why this may have happened!Hope we all learn somthing new we did not know before about driving our boats!Stay safe!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VtSteve
I'm sure if you were to speak to many of the cruiser owner on that lake, you'd find many went to a large cruiser to defend themselves against large wakes. That's how larger offshore-style boats cam to be on large lakes as well. They handled the waves better. Many performance boaters end up in cruisers, or have both.

I love calm water where I can zip in and out of everywhere to my heart's content, but that isn't real life. We've had a thread about someone doing 160 mph and nearly flipping the boat, followed by cries of cruiser wakes. Now we see live video of a boat operating at high speed with many passengers, in obviously disturbed water conditions, and we hear cries of cruiser wakes.

I've seen videos of some performance boats getting pictures of jumping their boats off, you guessed it, cruiser wakes. Some of those videos ended up with people being injured, ejected, boats totaled or sunk.

At some point, an "adult conversation" has to end up with a discussion of the driver, and hi/her judgment. It's fairly unanimous in both threads that the driver's judgment was not good. In this one, it was completely absent. My "true colors" are to not endanger the lives of my passengers and crew by being a complete idiot. If that offends your theory of cruiser wakes, then so be it.
The fact that we didn't agree on the cruiser wakes didn't offend me, but rather "When complete arrogance combines with the dream of spoiled children, that's what you get." did.

You and I completely agree the driver's judgment was not the best. You and I completely agree the speed was excessive for the conditions. Our only difference was the responsibility the open water ship's (operating on a lake) wake may have directly or indirectly had on the negative out comes of the past incidents. I said it earlier and I will say it again, we as drivers/captains have a responsibility to our passengers and those around us that our actions will not cause harm. And again like the excessive 90/120/150/190MPH speeds some boats produce being dangerous to occupants in and persons/property around them, the exact same can be said for the 3/4/5' wakes some of the ships produce in their wake.

This is NOT an attack on all cruisers because I have seen many operating their ships at a safe and slow speed(on a lake) as to not create a hazard to (again) persons or property.

My "true colors", like yours is to not put our crew and passengers (may I suggest adding those around you as well) in danger. Where I draw the "true color" line is with the name calling, remember, never spit into the wind because one day we just might be that "complete idiot".

With this I say good night.

Last edited by TW720HVY; 09-04-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Gotcha TW, we are about 98% in agreement. Understood.

I might also point out that you've illustrated above about 99% of most boaters complaints. Unfortunately, both types of boats are on most chit lists. Fortunately, most of the drivers of both types of boats understand that these threads are about the drivers that don't get it. Probably in God's master plan and all that.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Registered

Just sayin....
Personal responsibility and common courtesy... Well said.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered

VTSteve, sometimes I think owning a pontoon with a 50HP is the way to go, you never hear of them causing any problems, their wakes doesn't piss anyone off, the boat will never reach the accident scene before the driver and the passengers always seem happy no matter how beat up the boat is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.