Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A boating incident ends up all over the press and the story is a handful of people got hurt...yet nobody died. Let's be real, this is a positive story, big incident, no fatalities. Just wait till there is a camera in every car, I don't want to see what people go through during an auto incident! ...i've been through my share :-)

- scott -
Old 09-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
Has anyone confirmed this boat was even in a Poker Run at the time of this filming ?

If it wasn't, the Poker Runs are getting a bad name because of it ... Not to mention the whole sport in general...
We were absolutely in the poker run...however we obviously never made it to the last stop to get the cards. Our intention is certainly not to hurt powerboating in any way. Everyone on board has a love for it and are embarrassed and upset at the outcome of the day. I have enjoyed this activity for many years and this is a sobering reminder of what can happen in a brief 4 seconds, and yes this is life changing for all involved. As a community we can learn from this and hopefully prevent things like this from happening again. We hate that this video got out and could impact all of us In one way or another. We had ridden all day with GoPros on the boat with no incident. The water we encountered was nothing like we had come across the entire day. Hind sight is 20/20... Thank you all for the well wishes, it has been physical pain as well as emotional for everyone.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mpally
No, it was not a poker run. They were part of a fun run. The run was an unsanctioned group of boats that ran the lake that day. Although it was the Friday before the Shootout, it was not sanctioned by the Shootout.
Absolutely wrong
Old 09-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrReedJ
We were absolutely in the poker run...however we obviously never made it to the last stop to get the cards. Our intention is certainly not to hurt powerboating in any way. Everyone on board has a love for it and are embarrassed and upset at the outcome of the day. I have enjoyed this activity for many years and this is a sobering reminder of what can happen in a brief 4 seconds, and yes this is life changing for all involved. As a community we can learn from this and hopefully prevent things like this from happening again. We hate that this video got out and could impact all of us In one way or another. We had ridden all day with GoPros on the boat with no incident. The water we encountered was nothing like we had come across the entire day. Hind sight is 20/20... Thank you all for the well wishes, it has been physical pain as well as emotional for everyone.
Thanks for all your posting on this thread. It makes it much more "real" for most reading and learning! I hope all of you heal ASAP.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Thanks for all your posting on this thread. It makes it much more "real" for most reading and learning! I hope all of you heal ASAP.
Thanks, I have read every post and I certainly understand the mixed comments. I appreciate all of our fellow boaters and everyone's concearn.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:22 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,901 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by mpally
No, it was not a poker run. They were part of a fun run. The run was an unsanctioned group of boats that ran the lake that day. Although it was the Friday before the Shootout, it was not sanctioned by the Shootout.
That boat was not doing the fun run. Not sure if they were doing the official Shootout Poker Run or not. Both runs were on Friday.
This incident happened late in the afternoon(4:52pm) well after the unofficial fun run had broken up.

It is fairly obvious that the accident was caused by driver error. Its not the wakes fault or the stepped hulls fault. It was plain and simple.........driver error. He simply misjudged the wakes and was running too close to the edge for the conditions. Those same conditions exist every Summer weekend at LOTO and if you're not running on the edge, then the conditions can be driven through safely.

Last edited by Griff; 09-05-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:09 AM
Registered

Received 1,915 Likes on 749 Posts

Trying to go fast on a body of water with boat traffic coming from all directions, operators of all skill levels and wakes of all sizes also coming from all different directions and is THE most dangerous environment to do this in.
I spent a lot of time on inland lakes up north and have seen it all including the big go fasts scaring the other boats and putting out wakes bigger than the typical boat on those lakes. Case of big fish little pond so they can be just as bad as the cruisers.
There were lakes there that I did not go to on weekends because of the traffic.
To try and go fast in those conditions is down right spooky and in many cases the wrong thing to do.
Just w/the constantly changing water conditions force you to stay on point 100% of the time. Was talking w/a friend about this thread and told him I'd like to put two Go Pro's in my boat and run in those conditions. One camera pointing off the bow and one pointing at the helm so you could see how much work it is to keep the boat under control. You don't just set the tabs & drives and point.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 145 Likes on 87 Posts

I think this thread needs to end!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 945 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by flat rate
I think this thread needs to end!
yeah but let's hear Tres's response first......
Old 09-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 237 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by jupiter sunsation
yeah but let's hear tres's response first......
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.