Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I noticed two things. The last time the driver hit the throttle it appears to be accidental from the jolt. But more importantly, right after that he was out on his feet. He was unconscious before falling over. Makes you wonder if the boat still would have spun out if he still had stayed conscious and kept a hold of the wheel. Or maybe at least less violently?
I don't think he was unconscious before "falling" over. It looks like it, but the way his body was moving it looks like he was accelerating due to the reaction forces on the boat and its change in direction. His arms are down because he was gripping the throttles and steering wheel as he was thrown to the floor. It helps to watch the shoreline behind the boat as you also watch his movement. Tremendous G forces there.

Last edited by Frequency; 09-05-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Frequency
I don't think he was unconscious before "falling" over. It looks like it, but the way his body was moving it looks like he was accelerating due to the reaction forces on the boat and its change in direction. It helps to watch the shoreline behind the boat as you also watch his movement. Tremendous G forces there.
Well then he has the weakest grip on board, usually the last man standing is the driver.

My guess is he thought they were going to be thrown out of the boat so he went limp and let go, only the gforces carried him to the floor not the water.

Anyone who has jumped anything (4 wheeler, bike, mx bike, snowmobile) knows that chopping the throttle right before the jump is never a good thing.

If this guy a is a racer he is the wheel man, no way he works the throttles. I have watched this video at least 15 times and still have no idea why he is working the sticks like that
Old 09-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Frequency
I don't think he was unconscious before "falling" over. It looks like it, but the way his body was moving it looks like he was accelerating due to the reaction forces on the boat and its change in direction. His arms are down because he was gripping the throttles and steering wheel as he was thrown to the floor. It helps to watch the shoreline behind the boat as you also watch his movement. Tremendous G forces there.
I agree huge G forces. We'll never know for sure but it sure looks like he was out to me. The arms to the side are the biggest sign. Reflexes kick in in these situations and your hands go up and you start grasping for anything. He just fell over stiff and hands to the side "Nate Quarry" style. I watched it in slow motion a few times and to me it looks like the last jolt snapped his head back, which may have rattled his brain and put him to sleep. Plus he is a big guy and the driver usually knows what is going on a split second before everyone else does and has the "death grip" on. I guess it's irrelevant now it just makes you wonder if the boat was already in the spin and nothing could be done or if it could have been saved.

I hope they all heal quickly.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpally
No, it was not a poker run. They were part of a fun run. The run was an unsanctioned group of boats that ran the lake that day. Although it was the Friday before the Shootout, it was not sanctioned by the Shootout.
They were in the sanctioned poker run. It was the Shootout poker run that started at Backwater jacks
Old 09-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://youtu.be/ms3MN9LPpv8

Heres a good slow motion vid of what happened
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

I think if he would of been able to stay at the wheel the boat would not of spun out. The aggresive side to side threw him out and then the drives were free to do what they wanted, hence after his ejection the spin started. Amazing no one died or is paralized. I wish them all a quick recovery.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
just to be safe I shut my engine off before re-entry.

Originally Posted by Sean
I usually put the engines in reverse prior to re-entry. it helps to slow the boat down when i'm going too fast.
I usually throw anchor prior to re-entry.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13468638412381
Old 09-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

The most dangerous drivers here are the ones who think they never make any driving mistakes, and, therefore, never learn from them. They are the ones who think they are God's gift to boat driving. It's very easy to arm chair quarterback other drivers on what they did wrong, but it doesn't make that person a better driver than the one they are criticizing. We can't even see the waves or the attitude of the boat in this video. It seems a lot of this discussion has gone far beyond just learning from the mistakes, and is more about pumping up egos.

I see people who are real "experts", with extensive performance driving experience and highly honed skills, racing offshore boats, and they spin them, stuff them, flip them, and roll them.

The bottom line is there are unexpected conditions on the water, and this won't be the last time something like this happens. The best we can hope for is we learn from each incident, and try not ot make the same mistake.

My condolences go out to those who were injured, and I hope for a speedy recovery.

Michael
Old 09-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokher Ace
http://youtu.be/ms3MN9LPpv8

Heres a good slow motion vid of what happened

At 31 seconds that was a violent jolt that put the girls necks close to a 90* angle. His brain got scrambled a bit there and he was out at 32 seconds. He just loses his grip, hands stay down and he falls over. Like I said we'll never know but bottom line this shows how quickly it can go wrong out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.