Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are worried about cruiser wakes, don't even bother even taking your "offshore" boat to the ocean. You want to see a wake, go near a harbor entrance when the big fishing boats come in. It will make a cruiser wake look like a ripple. So will the the swells and chop on many days. It's all part of the experience. You adjust for conditions. Bring a towel, too.

Michael
Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by huskyrider
I wasn't assigning blame, it's just what I noticed the first time I saw the video. He appeared to be operating the sticks in a rather clumsy fashion.
First he had his hand upside down to the manner in which I and I'd guess most people would hold the throttles, he then switched back, and when he was on and off the throttle rapidly it looked like he was going the full range (idle to WFO) in a very jerky manner.
I've never driven a faster boat like his before but I've seen some of the vids where like this one of Avatar running wide open in the ocean, the thottleman maintains a much slower and narrower range sweeping motion with the throttle while letting off and reapplying the power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5Y9NipiVA
It was the first thing I noticed when I saw the video.
My boat is so heavy I've never been out of the water to have to work my sticks, after what I saw I picked up the fact that you should reduce and apply the thottle in a much less abrupt manner and not a long way from the range as to where it was prior to having to power down.

And, CONGRATS, on your new boat. I seem to remember a thread that you might have even been considering a cruiser earlier in the year.
A 38 Lightning with 575sc's has got to be a wicked cool ride indeed!!!

See ya,
Kelly

Thanks Kelly, sorry I was so sensitive, it's a fountain thing, I almost lost it when I guy on the first page with an 89 24 ft formula called it a 34 ft boat cause of the beak.

The thread was I tried a cruiser for a year and hated it, I was looking for more of a crossover boat like yours or something similar, instead I lied to her and told her she could stand up in a 38 fountain cabin and that I would add a/c and a genny

She is hooked now, she smiled when the blowers whine, and I haven't let her watch this video of a 38 smacking heads against grab handles yet

You are correct on the throttles, I really don't know what this guy was doing, even when I back off mine slow from WOT the drag and g forces are strong
Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by speedy59
Im a West Coaster, GET OVER IT!!!
Oh west coaster.....meaning you're naturally a d*ck ?

C'mon post up you and your hotties, we're waiting.....
Old 09-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
It's not a closed course event! What part of this are you guys missing w/the poker run thing? Pleasure boaters can and should do whatever the hey they want to.
It's up to us to have our act together, know they're out there, and drive accordingly.
That's what I was saying.... They were not in a no wake zone, therefore cruisers, tug boats, what ever are entitled the relate a wake in the waters just as much as the speed demon. What is funny, no one even said there was a cruiser involved. Just the same people using any thread they can to preach the same nonsense........

Hey x-rated let me ask you this,

If you were out running 70 in your boat creating a wake, and a much smaller jet boat came up on you running 100mph. Do you feel you should come down off of plane immediately so the small little jet boat can navigate around you at a high rate of speed? While your boat may not creat a wake equal to a cruiser, I am sure it is stil a large enough wake to upset a little jet boat.. Hmmmmm...

Last edited by low_psi; 09-06-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
Your interpretation of that law is a little clouded. No law enforcement office is going to write a ticket to the cruiser while 20 other boats are trying to crawl up his a$$. If a cruiser comes running up on a small fishing boat and swamps it then yes. But that is NOT what is happening in that video. You need to sit down with some folks from the coast guard and/or local law enforcement so you can understand the law.

Are there any docks or property being damaged? No all of the boats that are behind this crusier have the option of falling back, passing, or just waiting until he is gone. So what do you think would happen if the cruiser just all of a sudden shut it down, like you are suggesting? Of of the close following boats would probably end up getting pissed because they had to avoid a 50' obstruction. Or even possibly hit him because he just stopped while others behing him were running on plane.

It sounds like you need to be boating on your own private lake or pond.

You fail to realize all of the boats behind this cruiser have the option of being there. no one forced them to follow the cruiser. If a boat speeds up on a cruiser making a wake and then jumps its wake and suffers damage, that boat CHOOSE to pass the cruiser. There is no magical force field that forces smaller boats to travel behind a big cruiser.

I agree...this post is dead on right.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 486 Likes on 178 Posts

Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by low_psi
Your interpretation of that law is a little clouded. No law enforcement office is going to write a ticket to the cruiser while 20 other boats are trying to crawl up his a$$. If a cruiser comes running up on a small fishing boat and swamps it then yes. But that is NOT what is happening in that video. You need to sit down with some folks from the coast guard and/or local law enforcement so you can understand the law.

Are there any docks or property being damaged? No all of the boats that are behind this crusier have the option of falling back, passing, or just waiting until he is gone. So what do you think would happen if the cruiser just all of a sudden shut it down, like you are suggesting? Of of the close following boats would probably end up getting pissed because they had to avoid a 50' obstruction. Or even possibly hit him because he just stopped while others behing him were running on plane.

It sounds like you need to be boating on your own private lake or pond.

You fail to realize all of the boats behind this cruiser have the option of being there. no one forced them to follow the cruiser. If a boat speeds up on a cruiser making a wake and then jumps its wake and suffers damage, that boat CHOOSE to pass the cruiser. There is no magical force field that forces smaller boats to travel behind a big cruiser.
My interpretation of that law is 100% correct, and if you don't believe me, then you should probably go hire a lawyer, bc you don't understand liability. Just because you can't get a ticket for something doesn't mean it is perfectly of to do it. You are confusing criminal law and civil law.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone talks like lawyers and they have been in multi million dollar suits. I doubt it just sayin
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by X-Rated30
My interpretation of that law is 100% correct, and if you don't believe me, then you should probably go hire a lawyer, bc you don't understand liability. Just because you can't get a ticket for something doesn't mean it is perfectly of to do it. You are confusing criminal law and civil law.
I guess that "common sense" wasn't taught at the school where you obtained your law degree.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
If you are worried about cruiser wakes, don't even bother even taking your "offshore" boat to the ocean. You want to see a wake, go near a harbor entrance when the big fishing boats come in. It will make a cruiser wake look like a ripple. So will the the swells and chop on many days. It's all part of the experience. You adjust for conditions. Bring a towel, too.

Michael
Amen!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.