Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by low_psi; 09-07-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Nothing left to say....
Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
I am at a loss to understand most of this conversation, but if you lose control of your boat for any reason other than mechanical failure or someone colliding with you—assuming that person is at fault—isn't the responsibility for your loss of control, well, yours?

Last time I checked, the throttles go in both directions.
Matt, well said, and succinct.

If wakes really bother someone that much, then they shouldn't get on the water. It's part of the landscape. Personally, I never paid much attention to them, other than to make sure my boat is in control and I don't get too wet. I can't understand why people get this worked up about them.

What's next? Wind breaks so we don't get wind chop out on the water?

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 09-07-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pondrunner
Is this the same guy?!?! At 3:25 it sure looks like him...Read the message at the end of the video?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_xPY...feature=g-vrec
I am glad you watched my video to the end, I imagine most people don't.

I wish I had that Fountain over my little 26'... I probably wouldn't be on this forum crying about cruiser wakes.

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Sure looks like him.
I can completely understand the confusion, us shaved head guys all look alike. But the guy in the Fountain is much better looking and is doing something in life right to have a boat like that. Me on the other hand for the last 10 years have been trying to figure what to do when I grow up.

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Ouch! I think I can hear those U-joints complaining!
You are absolutely right, my trailer could easily another 6"-12" of bunk height. Now I have the IMCO 2" shorty, good news I can put it almost all the way down. But the funny thing, with it being down more, I just struck a brand new BBlades lab'd prop in less than one minute of being in the water and only 2 hours out of the box. So along with my U-joints, brand new prop and wallet.... EVERYTHING IS COMPLAINING!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
Since we're in question on the blame,

In the spirit of this weeks DNC in Charlotte,
clearly, the blame should be placed on G.W.B.
Awesome!
Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 AM
Registered

i registered to OSO mainly to make this post. After seeing the video and reading the comments, i took my boat out and everyone had life vest and I wore my kill line. I do have to say, it was very flat water and i was very scared when I got up to 90 mph (i normally run 110 plus with no fear), even though you do not feel that speed on a 46 it made me think. I hope everyone sees the point of what happened, (i changed my behavior) i am truly sorry for everyone in the boat, get well soon.

Last edited by Outerlimits46; 09-08-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Outerlimits46
i registered to OSO mainly to make this post. After seeing the video and reading the comments, i took my boat out and everyone had life vest and I wore my kill line. I do have to say, it was very flat water and i was very scared when I got up to 90 mph (i normally run 110 plus with no fear), even though you do not feel that speed on a 46 it made me think. I hope everyone sees the point of what happened, (i changed my behavior) i am truly sorry for everyone in the boat, get well soon.
You should have joined earlier, you made a lot of sense, besides Outerlimits kick azz!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Registered

http://fox2now.com/2012/09/05/police...eo/?hpt=ju_bn5
Old 09-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
I find this interesting that the people on the PB forum with lake boats, some under 20 feet, and some even with flat bottoms, are not complaining about cruiser wakes, but some people here (not all) with "offshore" boats 30 to 40+ feet in length and designed for heavy seas, are. Hmmm.

Michael
A lot of peeps that started in small boats when they were young worked there way up to larger boats. While they were gaining experience they, had to deal with large wakes, rough water, etc. In the process they realized that it was ultimately their choice to go over these waves under control or out of control. The operator has the responsibility (or not) I have seen some large boats slow to let peeps in smaller boats pass, it does not seem to be the norm. I was out last weekend, running up a slough and slowed down to a no wake idle for some fishermen, they looked @ me like something was wrong. I wonder how many others slowwed for them. It is entirely about experience, control, common sense. (not much of that out there)

Last edited by Nice Pair; 09-08-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullkrusher
Says it all.

But the Missouri Highway Patrol isn’t entirely disappointed the video of the accident is getting so much attention.
“It’s a good example,” Sgt. Jerry Callahan said. “Unfortunately it’s the stories of the injury accidents when they get out there that people really start to pay attention. And we are lucky in this instance I think.”
The driver of the boat, Marvin Carter, III of Memphis, TN suffered moderate injuries and a blow to his wallet as well. He’s being cited for speeding and imprudent operation of the boat. Five of the seven people on board were hospitalized, four of them with moderate injuries including broken bones.
“In Missouri we don’t have a daytime speed limit but that doesn’t mean you can drive your boat as fast as you want,” Callahan said. “You have to look at the existing conditions and look at the boat traffic on the water. Are there more boats? In this instance, the waves. The wakes.”

He hopes that lesson will be driven home as more and more people watch the video.
“I hope people are looking and saying, ‘wow, that could have been really bad.’”
Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Registered

Still can't believe this is still being hashed out.. Drivers fault plain and simple. Would people still be blaming this or that if the driver just came on and said, "yeah, I f'ed up"??

I roll my boat turning. (not steps) My fault
I stuff due to tripping. (not the wind/waves) My fault
Get a speeding ticket. (not speedos) My fault
Hit the ramp with prop. (not ramp designers) My fault
Run out of gas. (not gauges) My fault

Are people egos that BIG that nobody can simply take responsibility for their actions? Grow up people. It's not the cruiser, channel, passenger, boat manufacturer, engine builder, bouy makers, etc. when you are the driver behind the wheel away from the dock you and only you as the captain are 100% entrusted by your passengers expecting to return safely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.