Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE
DrReedJ, glad to hear everyone will heal. The video is a great reminder of how fast things can go wrong on the water. It's very easy to get caught up in the moment during these events and wind up over throttling the boat..I'm sure the driver feels bad enough physically and emotionally with regards to this accident (without every bashing him). What should've been a fun event for all involved turned to tradgedy. The important thing is that everyone will be ok and it's and eye opener for all of us to be carefull.
X2 Well said! DrReedJ I hope you don't mind but I've posted your comments over on RDP. I know your weekend has been one you don't want to remember but I feel posting the video and your update has been very positive for other performance boaters and may have saved others this weekend. We usually see this kind of video from a race boat but seeing it from a pleasurecraft brings it home real quick. Be wishes to all for a speedy recovery.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrReedJ
My wife suffered 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and a broken foot. She has not left the house since getting home. She is in severe pain. My injuries were minor compared, busted my head open and damaged a rib or two. .

damn!!! sounds more serious than the police report stated. you and your wife refused treatrment at the scene? speedy recovery to all involved.

Last edited by BRUCE SEROFF; 09-02-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watched this a few times last night, and again today and it makes me sicker every time I see it.. Really glad everybody is gonna be ok !! (not belittling any of the injuries listed above, because some of them sound pretty serious, by saying "ok" I mean still alive)

definitely unfortunate that it happened but I am glad they had a video aboard.. Not for our entertainment, but it's something I think Every boater needs to watch a few times over..

Again glad it didn't turn out much worse.. I wish everyone involved a good, speedy & full recovery, and also more often than not wish youtube would just get rid of the "comment" section all together.. Yes we all have free speech, and a right to our opinion but man it's so often like "3rd grade curse word phrasing" taken to a completely different level..
Old 09-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
damn!!! sounds more serious than the police report stated. you and your wife refused treatrment at the scene? speedy recovery to all involved.
Thanks Bruce, I ended up carrying my wife to the emergency room after. She did not want to go by ambulance. Hopefully this will make people more aware of what can happen to any of us. Hopefully something positive can come from this. Thanks for all of the well wishes!
Old 09-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Registered

Thanks Bruce, I ended up carrying my wife to the emergency room after. She did not want to go by ambulance. Hopefully this will make people more aware of what can happen to any of us. Hopefully something positive can come from this. Thanks for all of the well wishes!
Glad everyone made it out as "well" as they did. Could've been MUCH worse. Didn't realize this was during a poker run.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

DrReedJ,

Wishing a speedy recovery to all. I am glad no one was injured more seriously.

This is a perfect example of how quickly things can go wrong and guys, sometimes people make mistakes. Whether it was not being able to or incorrectly reading the water, simply going faster than conditions safely allowed, or improper throttle technique, sometimes people make mistakes. No sense in the keyboard crucifixions.

I would love to take Tres Martins class so I can operate my boat more safely, but have not been able to yet. I can not believe the number of my friends who have scoffed at the idea of needing to go to a performance boat driving school.

I intend to show every one of them this video.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 745 Likes on 337 Posts

Hey guys, I was a passenger in this boat during the accident. Yes, there are many cardinal rules broken. The most important one I feel is no life jackets worn. As crazy as it seems, we had jackets for each person but as the poker run began we realized no one else was wearing them..... How foolish we were. .
Multiple Poker Run entrants not wearing life jackets is more bothersome then one boat operators error. Sounds like a complete breakdown of poker run protocol.
ed
Old 09-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 152 Likes on 66 Posts

Not only does he look to have no skills, who in the world throttles a boat like that, the bigger problem is driving that way with all those people in your boat, just stupid on his part!!
Old 09-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Registered

Since we are in the subject, what is the "approved" way of throttling? I ask because if I stay over 1/4 throttle in my boat it wants to rev well over 5k (my redline). I intend to take tres's class once I sell some extras.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys, I was a passenger in this boat during the accident. Yes, there are many cardinal rules broken. The most important one I feel is no life jackets worn. As crazy as it seems, we had jackets for each person but as the poker run began we realized no one else was wearing them..... How foolish we were. I have read so many nasty comments on YouTube and other sites I am in shock. My wife suffered 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and a broken foot. She has not left the house since getting home. She is in severe pain. The driver crushed his eye orbital and broke hus back at T8 ( he is a former F-2 racer with APBA). Another passenger who raced professionally for many years broke his pelvis in several places and is in a wheelchair. One of the other girls crushed her eye orbital also. The guy from lake tv fractured his hip and broke his wrist. My injuries were minor compared, busted my head open and damaged a rib or two. Everyone is black and blue. This was a very upsetting event for everyone involved. I have been around powerboats for many years and it only takes on unguarded minute to loose a life or permanently hurt people you love. I am very thankful this did not end up worse. I hope everyone learns from this. I know I will boat differently. All of the guys in the boat are members of OSO. I think it is necessary to break down the accident and discuss this, just remember these are real people who like you who love power boating and do it every weekend.
DrReed, thanks for sharing some first hand details on this tragic accident. Hoping all involved a successful recovery. This video is a real eye opener on how quickly things can go wrong.

I know hindsight is 20-20, but I have to wonder what was going through your mind prior to the accident? How long were you guys running before the accident and at what speeds? Were there any signs that the driver/boat were not handling the conditions very well? I am surprised none of you told the driver to ease up a bit in that kind of water or said it was time to break out the life vests. I believe I would have been yelling at the driver and I know my wife would have likely pulled the keys!

I only have a 70 mph 292, but have run pretty hard in rough water. My wife is definitely my speed limiter in those conditions, and I respect her and any passengers desires to slow down. Running solo I push it harder, but have never been out of control. This video has caused me to definitely think twice about pushing it too hard.

Again, sorry to hear how serious the injuries are and hope everyone has a speedy recovery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.