Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a big difference in a "professional" driver, piloting a "race" boat on a controlled course and a dude obviously confused, hopelessly under prepared, driving a "pleasure" boat in an open area with other crafts going in all directions, with innocent unprepared passengers onboard. Not to slam the guy, I think that he did that enough to himself, but maybe he needs to stick to "professional" racing.... Just my take.

A speedy recovery to him and all his passengers. So glad it wasn't worse than it was.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW - has anyone listend to this whole broadcast? Let's see #1 - Greg Olson wins shootout, but only because My Way crashes (picture of broken My Way), #2 - little girl drowns, #3 - this video, #4 - guy dies after he drives into a tree ... (I didn't go any further). Quite the good news station, don't you think??
Old 09-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nkosi
Wow!! Glad everyone was okay. Can someone explain what went wrong there? It doesn't look like he was turning. Wake from another boat maybe?
If you have ever been at LOTO you would understand. The cruiser wakes make it like a blender out there. It should be a NO PLOW zone.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Registered

Those of you who are commenting on the LOTO waves have no clue if you compare it to open water and the cruiser waves do cause a problem but not if your not stupid about it.
This only happens a couple times each year at the lake and it is when you have 2000 boats going every direction all in about an hour’s time frame and then what made it worse was that everyone left at the same time due to rain coming in.
I have been on Lake Michigan when it got rough and on the Mediterranean see when it was rough but they were not the same thing. Not saying that this was worse but just that it is different.

Last edited by 1987pachanga22; 09-04-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Registered

Bad deal for sure.. Aside from some very violent and bizarre throttling, you can see at the beginning of the video him dropping the starboard side tab down to balance the boat.. Between that tab on the one side most likely being down further then the other, and being late to the party on all accounts with the throttles.. (On in the air, and off in the water it looks like on the 2nd set) he Just tripped the boat up, and when the boats not happy it will tell you.. He's lucky the boat let them off that easy, because it could've been a lot worse.

Hope they have a speedy recovery.. And being a race boat driver means exactly zero to me. The difference between everyone in this thread and a race boat driver is nothing.. Except some guy nutted up some cash and went and raced a boat. It is not a qualification for anything in life other then saying "yes I raced boats."

RD
Old 09-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RiverDave

And being a race boat driver means exactly zero to me. The difference between everyone in this thread and a race boat driver is nothing.. Except some guy nutted up some cash and went and raced a boat. It is not a qualification for anything in life other then saying "yes I raced boats."

RD
I disagree with this comment. Anybody that's raced in a professional boat racing organization has had a tremendous amount of safety protocol thrown at them. Life jackets , safety lanyards , inspection of equipment , etc are just a few of the things taught and learned. Obviously this guy wasn't adhering to these safety standards. A seasoned , professional boat racer wouldn't put themselves and passengers in this posistion. We have a saying in our world " I know a lot of bold racers , I know a lot of old racers but I don't know a lot of OLD BOLD RACERS".
Old 09-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverDave
Bad deal for sure.. Aside from some very violent and bizarre throttling, you can see at the beginning of the video him dropping the starboard side tab down to balance the boat.. Between that tab on the one side most likely being down further then the other, and being late to the party on all accounts with the throttles.. (On in the air, and off in the water it looks like on the 2nd set) he Just tripped the boat

And being a race boat driver means exactly zero to me. The difference between everyone in this thread and a race boat driver is nothing.. Except some guy nutted up some cash and went and raced a boat. It is not a qualification for anything in life other then saying "yes I raced boats."

RD
Are you serious?
Old 09-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
DrReedJ, I am glad everyone survived this horrific incident and I hope your wife starts feeling better sooner than later!

It sounds like the boat hit the classic cruiser wake. These wakes are nothing but destructive to people and property but for some reason they are the elephant in the room. There needs to be a discussion regarding open water ships, traveling at open water speeds on a lake while they go for a burger and beer. Don't get me wrong, I love big boats and would love to own one, but not on a lake in the middle of the country. Just a couple of weeks ago there was another video that involved a famous cat, experienced driver, high speed and a very negative outcome. The easiest fix "they" will suggest is more than likely an imposed speed limit, but the destructive wakes will still be present because the ship captains are operating at the safe speed of 25knots.

At the Lake of the Ozarks the "Falls Within a Boat" is the most common incident report made by the Water Patrol. Sadly this is not the first time there has been serious injuries caused by destructive wakes, only this is the first time it has been caught on video that is now making National News.

I wonder if the cruisers of The Lake that were out that day feel bad that it may just have their wake that caused this incident? Something tells me they haven't even given it a second thought.

A lot of comments have been made regarding the throttle work of the captain, but there hasn't been any discussion on what could have been a better way to operate them. I am not looking for the arm chair QB, but rather if we could learn a better technique from this that would be great. I have heard and seen many myself operate sticks in the same manor and if there is a better way I am all about learning.

Another question I have, what effect if any did the "stepped hull" play? I have always heard the steps are not very forgiving.
x2 Lake of the Ozarks should start a NO PLOW ZONE rule
Old 09-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems to me the people *****ing about the big cruisers on the lake are the guys that never get on one.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DucBoy
BTW - has anyone listend to this whole broadcast? Let's see #1 - Greg Olson wins shootout, but only because My Way crashes (picture of broken My Way), #2 - little girl drowns, #3 - this video, #4 - guy dies after he drives into a tree ... (I didn't go any further). Quite the good news station, don't you think??
I have seen very few good news station. It seems that all they are is gloom and doom. I don,t watch much of it, as I find it very depressing. Some is because they seem to enforce the fact that there are so many dumb people out there, doing dumb things. And of course the other part is, they only tell one side of the story. It seems like bad news attracts more viewers, for some weird reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.