Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DucBoy
BTW - has anyone listend to this whole broadcast? Let's see #1 - Greg Olson wins shootout, but only because My Way crashes (picture of broken My Way), #2 - little girl drowns, #3 - this video, #4 - guy dies after he drives into a tree ... (I didn't go any further). Quite the good news station, don't you think??
It's just a local lake station.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
I completely agree they have a right to be on the water also and I am NOT saying they need to be off the water. But they, like us need to be responsible for their actions.

Maybe this example will help clear up what I was trying to say...

I have my pickup truck loaded with 6" rock going down the interstate (which I have a right to drive on) and while minding my own business enjoying the day I'm dropping my 6" rock all over the interstate behind me. You guys will not have a problem with all that rock taring up your personal property or worse the accidents it may cause behind me?

Something tells me this would NOT sit well with anyone, so why should it be any different on the water. These are open water ships that produce open water wakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPp-SnoJ7fw

In that video that is just one, now imagine 6 or 8 producing the same wakes.
x2
Old 09-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
I remember rolling pretty good with minimal chop and then three or four big hits... The next thing I knew I felt my head banging on something getting harder each time and then tons of water pouring in...it went from smooth to nasty seemingly so quick...

There is absolutely no doubt there were several factors that attributed to the negative out come. And yes, reading the post from DrReedJ "irregular wave sets" was a factor. But what caused them? I have boated The Lake with nothing but 20'-35' boats making the rough water and I have also boated The Lake when nothing but large ships were making the rough water. There is a night and difference in the water conditions and being a LOTO boater yourself know exactly what I am talking about. I completely agree that the responsibility lies directing on the captain of his or her boat to make sure the passengers are safe. Again no question! But just like you and I have the responsibility to our passengers we also have a responsibility to those around us that our boat's speed and wake does not create a hazard to persons or property. It is the indirect effect or contributing factor that I am trying to point out.
Agree, there are many people that drive the cruisers sensibly. But more that have no respect for smaller boats. This crash could have been avoided by driving slower given the conditions. So its not all the cruisers fault, but it was a contributing factor.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
I disagree with this comment. Anybody that's raced in a professional boat racing organization has had a tremendous amount of safety protocol thrown at them. Life jackets , safety lanyards , inspection of equipment , etc are just a few of the things taught and learned. Obviously this guy wasn't adhering to these safety standards. A seasoned , professional boat racer wouldn't put themselves and passengers in this posistion. We have a saying in our world " I know a lot of bold racers , I know a lot of old racers but I don't know a lot of OLD BOLD RACERS".
And yet apparently this guy is a 10 year veteran of the APBA? Explain that.

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Are you serious?
Yes I am..

RD
Old 09-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

You can beat this horse all you want,race boat driver race car driver ect.COMMON SENSE.For the conditions your in.JOHN SR

I Hope they all have a speedy recovery

Last edited by Fenderjack; 09-04-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

You are always responsible for your wake. The boaters now are just like most of the people who drive on the road. They are careless and have no regard for others or their surroundings. I see it all the time, every where. It comes with inexperience, common sense, just igonrance. I can't tell you howmany peolpe blow through our creek, pushing big wake now, compared to years past. We always try to look for that next set, approach it in a safe way, some times we get away with it some times it bites us on the ass. A buddy and my self were thrown out of my Stinger a few years back. It was pretty calm out. Before I knew it there was a huge 3-4 wave set rite out to the port side. I saw them, imedialty pulled the stick back, but it was already man in motion, we got tossed. It all happens fast. Was I out being a knob, no, I was out for a nice cruise, only around 60 or so. I would say that I would never push the limit with all the people in the boat like that, esp in that kind of water. Like I orig said in the thread, wth would you be doing that wit that many folks on board.

John jr
Old 09-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just made G4..TV..... What a mess....... It is not good by any stretch............
Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Hope they have a speedy recovery.. And being a race boat driver means exactly zero to me. The difference between everyone in this thread and a race boat driver is nothing.. Except some guy nutted up some cash and went and raced a boat. It is not a qualification for anything in life other then saying "yes I raced boats."

RD[/QUOTE]

I do both and accidents happen. I had one and i consider myself very lucky. And I by no means i am loaded just lucky to have great friends sponsor me racing.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by RiverDave
And yet apparently this guy is a 10 year veteran of the APBA? Explain that.

RD
I guess he just ran out of talent.
Bummer for the people in the boat!
Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spectras only
Blaming cruisers for their wake in open water is pointless. What's next? Blaming cruiseships and tugboats for the wakes they create, ridiculous. Where I boat, there are huge swells coming up unexpectedly all the time but all it takes is to keep looking around what's in the distance and you'll know there is a wake coming!

Small ferry in the background and big ones are just around the corner
There is nothing opening about the water at The Lake of the Ozarks and that is my point, these are open water ships traveling at open water speeds. The shore line is either natural rock formations or man made sea walls and maybe if there was a shoreline that adsorbed the energy coming in it would be a different story.

I have boated around very large barges that move a ton of water on the Mississippi and I will take them any day of the week or the cruiser wakes on The Lake. Again, once the energy reaches the store line it is done.

Originally Posted by redbud35
It seems to me the people *****ing about the big cruisers on the lake are the guys that never get on one.
Are you serious?

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
You are always responsible for your wake.
John, it seems there are only a few of us that realize this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.