Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in 10 fters on Friday on the east side of Erie, no issues, also ran about 15 miles sunday in 4-6 ers, again no issues, we as drivers just have to take a step back
Old 09-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Not sure what you are disagreeing with me on?! I said LOTO is more like a river than a lake, meaning it is shaped like a river as opposed to a big, open lake (like say Lake St. Clair up in Michigan). I've been boating both the Illinois river and LOTO since the 70's. Yes, boating on those two bodies of water is different even though they are in essence shaped the same.
yeah when i re read what i said... I should have started out with i agree so you get what im sayin without makin total sense right?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Likefastboats
Since the big cruisers that can't get on plane are at the lake we all have to just learn how to boat safley in their wakes and for those of us that have point lots and a dock, we just have to keep our welders handy to repair the damage they cause. This is what the lake has become. Like it or not. But IMHO the bigazz cruisers have no busuness being at the lake. Not that I'm jealous or hate cruisers, they are beautiful and have their place. But they are just not designed for closed in inland lakes. If you want that big of a boat go buy a house with ocean access!!!!!! I can't even see what fun these big boats are in a lake. Oh well, this is going to be an endless topic for sure.

I had 3 in the last 3 years. I don't get it either. We have a house and a dock so why the hell would we sleep on it. It would only go 20mph and was a pain in the ass to get out and put back away. Why did it take me so long to realize this? I don't know... it's just what I saw everyone else doing. Now I have a very sensible and conservative boat (40 Skater with 1150/1350s) to navigate the lake!!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 88242LS
we as drivers just have to take a step back
I partially agree - but I think a better goal is for us to step up as yachtsmen that know how to read the sea and show courtesy (both to others and to our own passengers and crew) and not just throw a throttle back and forth.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Orthobam
I had 3 in the last 3 years. I don't get it either. We have a house and a dock so why the hell would we sleep on it. It would only go 20mph and was a pain in the ass to get out and put back away. Why did it take me so long to realize this? I don't know... it's just what I saw everyone else doing. Now I have a very sensible and conservative boat (40 Skater with 1150/1350s) to navigate the lake!!
Yes exactly! I don't know if the word "conservative" is correct for a 40 Skater, but that is a beautiful and perfect boat for the lake.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 486 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by likefastboats
yes exactly! I don't know if the word "conservative" is correct for a 40 skater, but that is a beautiful and perfect boat for the lake.
+1000 great choice
Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
So these "open water" cruiser are running "open water speeds" on a lake? What would you call a 38' Fountain? I am pretty sure that is an "off shore open water boat" traveling at speeds beyond the conditions. You are taking this "responsible for your own wake" a bit too far. How about you are responsible for launching your boat on its side then wiping out? I hope everyone recovers quickly and without emotional damage. But come on, let stop all this cruiser wake BS. I have a 26' Velocity and am around plenty of big cruisers in the Detroit River. At no time have I ever thought it was the responsibility of the cruiser to make sure his wake didn't interupt my travels. If in a no wake zone that is a different stoy. However, if a cruiser wake launches a 38' boat or any boat for that matter they were either both violating a no wake zone or they were in an open area where a wake is permitted. I think it is absurd to say a cruiser should slow down as to not create a wake for your offshore boat....
I'm glad you posted this, I just thought this was "normal" too...

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 09-04-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DucBoy
I partially agree - but I think a better goal is for us to step up as yachtsmen that know how to read the sea and show courtesy (both to others and to our own passengers and crew) and not just throw a throttle back and forth.
I'll expand on that thought a bit further...

I think we all have to be tolerant of one another...cruisers, go fast boats, and jet skis. I own all three, a large cruiser, a go fast boat, and two jet skis. I see all angles regarding peoples complaints about the others. I prefer personal responsibility, that is I can't control what others do, but I sure am in control of what I do. Each boat Captain is responsible for their own actions and more importantly the safety of their passengers.

It's a slippery slope to blame cruisers and jet skis for being a menace on the water, as I'm sure it wouldn't be all too difficult to make a case that 100+mph go fast boats are a menace too!

I think this thread and video should be a sobering example for all of us of how fast things can go wrong. I for one would not like for laws to be passed banning the operation of anyone one of my toys, nor would I like to be the topic of one of these threads.

Just sayin....
Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Yes they did, and in more than one accident thread. When complete arrogance combines with the dream of spoiled children, that's what you get.

At least some picked up on driving offshore boats on inland waterways at 90 mph.
Wow would you look at your true colors, to think I thought we were having an adult discussion earlier.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Registered

I just turned on my computer and this video is now front page news on Yahoo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.