Notices

Torque Engineering V-12

Old 09-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the drive info. Will contact in the morning. Motor will be back from MI next month. If that drive can hold up to this application that will be great! The boat weighs 9800 lbs with vac flush/ac/gen, and is a nice entertainment boat. The 2 speed trans was not in the vessel when I pruchased it, just a good old velvet.. Once the boat is back the water plans are to install a 2 speed and then twin super charge. At that point we will run into drive problems again. An outfit in Missouri is getting upwards of 3000 hp from this Torque motor...
Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Registered

Handles 1500hp, not cheap, but very unique!

http://www.weismann.net/Press%20Page...annDuoProp.htm
Old 09-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

What is this torque engineering V-12 engine?
Pictures??
Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info on the Weismann. The boat has a notched transom so I can't use a surface drive..
Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

As I'm told, the Torque Engineering Company was to offer an IPO just prior to 9-11. They were a start up company from Elkhart Indiana. They were going to change the pleasure/race boat market as we know it. They manufactured a V 12 in four platforms. 900,1000,1100 and 1400 hp. Several factories signed up and took delivery of these rare motors. When 9-11 happened their IPO was taken off the table and the company went bankrupt. I'm not a motor head, but from I'm told my motor has real fuel injection with an Indy car computer and several other unique attributes that give it amazing torque and horsepower. I was lucky to track down the original motor build who is freshing mine. With only 8 hours total run time it did not need much. He changed out the valve train to create much more hp. Details to come!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Registered

Does yours have a gear or belt drive for the front accessories? From what I understand (and I could way off) there was an issue with the harmonics created from the original geared setup that was later fixed via a more typical belt assembly. I think Sterling had a hand trying to bring back this engine.

Would be nice to see these make a comeback but who knows if the tooling even exists. Glad you found the support you needed to bring yours back to life.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I thought Cosker bought the rights and Sterling bought out the motor program for these and had the rights for the motors?

They were too expensive and exotic and never ran correctly from what I've heard...custom parts, few guys on here can attest to that I think.

Brad Smith has a set too right? I don't know, just from my readings, good luck on the project...

I always thought those sage drives were really cool, being able to change the x dim on the fly etc...perhaps too complex for the standard non racing high perf owner...

Last edited by WildThing47; 09-04-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
What is this torque engineering V-12 engine?
Pictures??
Inquiring minds want to know!

http://web.archive.org/web/200201220...torquev12.com/
Old 09-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 400 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by madhatter42
I thought Cosker bought the rights and Sterling bought out the motor program for these and had the rights for the motors?

They were too expensive and exotic and never ran correctly from what I've heard...custom parts, few guys on here can attest to that I think.

Brad Smith has a set too right? I don't know, just from my readings, good luck on the project...

I always thought those sage drives were really cool, being able to change the x dim on the fly etc...perhaps too complex for the standard non racing high perf owner...
I think Brad has been playing with a set of these. Last I heard, most of the Torque stuff was in Marietta, Georgia.
Attached Thumbnails Torque Engineering V-12-img_1555-custom-.jpg  

Last edited by WARPARTY36; 09-04-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Registered

Wow! Glad to see someone out there knows about these motors! They did have internal drive problems with the alternator but mine(thank goodness) has been retro fitted. They never ran correctly due to mapping issues that the software programmers could never figure out(fixed on mine). Jerry Sample is the original builder and was around from start to finish and at the end, ended up with most of the tooling and parts. I still need to solve the drive issue. Ideas???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.