Notices

how fast in an open bow

Old 09-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how fast in an open bow

I have never been in an open bow power boat. I was just wonderin what is the fastest you run with people up front. Better yet if you have rode up front whats it like. I love the idea of an open bow .......ever time i look at them i just cant help but think of someone flying out.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 3,258 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
I have never been in an open bow power boat. I was just wonderin what is the fastest you run with people up front. Better yet if you have rode up front whats it like. I love the idea of an open bow .......ever time i look at them i just cant help but think of someone flying out.
Not very. You are totally exposed to the wind and elements, you get bounced around a lot as the bow pops up and down, there's not mich to hold onto usually and the worst part is you're usually in a forward position with your legs up so your back takes all the pressure. Not very comfy to ride in at speed from what I've experienced.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been about 55 or so up there, and was happy to retreat to the rear when prompted that the speed was picking up. The mid cabin becomes a wind tunnel at about 90, shot an air born shoe like a football straight through, imagine kids and such? I will stick with my closed bow.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Registered

Depends on the conditions, common sense usually applies and who is up there, kids, your buddy etc. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much common sense these days...

Having a few people up front on mine always slowed the boat WAY down anyhow so it wasn't an issue since it wasn't a go-fast, only a 55mph boat.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:48 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
Depends on the conditions, common sense usually applies and who is up there, kids, your buddy etc. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much common sense these days...

Having a few people up front on mine always slowed the boat WAY down anyhow so it wasn't an issue since it wasn't a go-fast, only a 55mph boat.
Same here for me. We did the KY Lake fun run with 8 people and a full load of fuel (120gal) so we only got up to 52mph GPS but... Everyone who's ridden up front in my boat (in smooth water) has said that running at speed is great. They said the wind wasn't bad at all which amazes me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siFqy...e_gdata_player
Old 09-24-2012, 05:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive never been in one but i bet this is one of the fastest bow riders (150 mph)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...-plan-b-9.html
Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Smooth water and 30 - 35 MPH is optimal.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 454 Likes on 268 Posts

I cruise around 40 and have been as fast as 60 with people in the front. It is smoother than you would think up front as there is no water contacting the boat under the front pasengers, just riding on air.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I usually have everyone move to the back of the boat when running fast. There have been times when I have gone fast with people up front, really depends on conditions, who is in the boat, etc.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Registered

I have always had closed bow boats and this is the first open bow I have owned and has a top speed of 80 mph but I do not go over 50mph with people up there(glass water) as I am concerned about ejection and it is hard to read the water with bodies in the way not to meantion the boat trying to bow steer with the weight in it.If the water is rough I put them in the cockpit at any speed,just not comfortable with them up there.I have ridden there once and although it is a nice ride I like the seat with the wheel and sticks in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.