Wellcraft Nova 26ST  water in Bilge area >

Wellcraft Nova 26ST water in Bilge area

Notices

Wellcraft Nova 26ST water in Bilge area

Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wellcraft Nova 26ST water in Bilge area

I am planning on cleaning and painting the bilge area but I need to fix this water issue.Rain water gets in between those channels and goes nowhere, could I make a hole to the side of those channels so water goes to the center of the bilge and that way could exit thru the back or thru bilge pump? I want to keep the bilge clean and when i put the engines on it would be difficult with water getting trapped there all the time.any other solution for this?
Attached Thumbnails Wellcraft Nova 26ST  water in Bilge area-bilge.jpg  
Old 10-04-2012, 05:26 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

they are supposed to have drain holes in them. find the low point, probably at the rear. drill a 1 inch hole. (siphon and mop out water first) now paint the inside of hole with resin and lay up at least 1 layer of glass inside hole. now get a piece of PVC or ABS pipe from Lowes etc. that just fits the hole and silicone it into the hole with 5200 caulk. the big thing with punching holes in stringers is you gotta seal them up so water doesn't invade the wood inside the stringer. at least not where YOU messed with it. there are enough areas where stringers can get water in them.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 10-04-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
they are supposed to have drain holes in them. find the low point, probably at the rear. drill a 1 inch hole. (siphon and mop out water first) now paint the inside of hole with resin and lay up at least 1 layer of glass inside hole. now get a piece of PVC or ABS pipe from Lowes etc. that just fits the hole and silicone it into the hole with 5200 caulk. the big thing with punching holes in stringers is you gotta seal them up so water doesn't invade the wood inside the stringer. at least not where YOU messed with it. there are enough areas where stringers can get water in them.
Derek,

thanks for your reply I will take your advise on that ,will make sure i seal those holes good.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
+1..."Limber Holes" as they are called are common on larger boats. D&K is spot on with this...despite what we do with these they must be checked every year or so to make certain that the seal is still intact and has not separated from the stringer.