Notices

Bahamas info?

Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bahamas info?

Hey Guys!

Looking at buying a small piece of property on Andros Island in the Bahamas, any input? I understand the water is quite nice, anything I should be aware of, or cautious about?

ANY input is appreciated!

Michael
Old 10-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike I`m an retired Navy vet. I`ve been to Andros many time. If I had the money I would jump on any property that I can afford. When I was in the Navy I would get up early in the morning find the nearest coconut tree get 2 or 3 fresh coconut, stop by the chow hall get breakfest go to work, then I would drill holes into the coconut add fresh juice (orange strawberry etc..) make sure the heliocopters take of safely, go to the beach and listen to Bob Marley as the sunrise with my coconut drink by my side. Man I missed that place.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 955 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by n20michael
Hey Guys!

Looking at buying a small piece of property on Andros Island in the Bahamas, any input? I understand the water is quite nice, anything I should be aware of, or cautious about?

ANY input is appreciated!

Michael
Andros is very isolated, less traffic going in/out and that is going to exponentially raise your costs of travel to/from and more importantly building on. Empty land in the Bahamas is so cheap because of the hassle/costs of building there.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Registered

Right now I am looking at 3 acres (all waterfront) for around 100K, how much more are building costs than other areas of the Bahamas? I am not looking at building anything huge or fancy (1500 sq ft) would be plenty.

Right now I have a home (in the city) and a small cottage (1000 Islands) and would like to sell the house, spend the money building a small place in the Bahamas and live at the cottage in the summer, Bahamas in the winter.

THANKS! For the input and please keep it coming!

Muchael
Old 10-08-2012, 05:30 AM
Registered

Dont forget Hurricane season and the tidal surge if youre looking at waterfront.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

my uncle had a condo in the bahamas. one of the hurricanes took it out. years later they havent rebuiltso he basically owns, well not much of anything anymore besides a piece of paper.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Registered

this is a safe height. and I cant tell you who's house that is below us.
Attached Thumbnails Bahamas info?-bahamas-012.jpg  
Old 10-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by n20michael
Right now I am looking at 3 acres (all waterfront) for around 100K, how much more are building costs than other areas of the Bahamas? I am not looking at building anything huge or fancy (1500 sq ft) would be plenty.

Right now I have a home (in the city) and a small cottage (1000 Islands) and would like to sell the house, spend the money building a small place in the Bahamas and live at the cottage in the summer, Bahamas in the winter.

THANKS! For the input and please keep it coming!

Muchael
A few things to consider on outer islands:

Power- Islands are mostly run on diesel generators. Andros will probably not have any type of grid which means you have to generate your own power. Some of the smaller islands were having self imposed "brown outs" to conserve fuel this summer. Power on the grid for 12-15 hours, dark for 9-12 at night.

Internet/Phone- Outer islands won't have provisions for this. Sat phones/internet are your only option

Construction- Outer islands require a trip to bigger islands for everything. There is no Home Depot around the corner! The lack of supplies extends the construction process, imagine running short of nails and construction stops until you can make it to a bigger island only to find the supplier is out and waiting for supplies to come from the US. A box of nails could hold you up 2 weeks! Then the labor disperses for other jobs and you may wait another week for them to return to finish your job.

Depending on your situation but before dumping 100K on a dirt lot, I would look into a condo or something in the FL keys. Something that is easier to get to, potentially finance, sell, rent out, etc. Easy to maintain, more stuff to do (plently of diving, fishing etc) and a couple hours drive time to Miami (depending on how far south you buy).
Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

I will email a buddy of mine and get him to remind me why he didn't move forward on a deal on Andros about 5 years ago. He had a sizable deal lined up and I don't remember what the reason was that him and a couple partners bailed but they spent a few weeks on Andros looking at everything. One of the partners had a Cessna so they were constantly flying back and forth.

He is coming back from Greece this week, I should have something to post by the end of the week.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Registered

Finance! that was the problem, every backer pulled out of the islands for a time. someone who had built a large number of projects there told me the first thing you do is take a valium. The pace will drive you nuts. count on $300 sq foot minimum, and twice as long. Then you have to get there in every kind of weather. I've got 6 years of southern living and 34 years of going to the islands and its no cup of tea. fly down rent a place for 6 months and see what its like.

Last edited by buckknekkid; 10-08-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spiel chec

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.