Are print magazines on the way out? >

Are print magazines on the way out?

Notices

Are print magazines on the way out?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
I could babble on this subject endlessly as it is obviously near and dear to my heart. I have had my feet in both the print and online worlds for a lot of years. (Before I started speedonthewater.com three years ago, I had already been working for boats.com since 2000.) And I was with Powerboat for 17 years. Now I'm the editor of Sportboat.

The decline in everything printed on paper is undeniable, as evidenced by only two magazines (Performance Boats and Sportboat) being left in the go-fast boat niche. Hard times for sure, but not necessarily a negative if you take a bigger picture perspective. Challenging times are, in the words of my friend Chuck Sprague (C_Spray) who ran Penske's Indy Car racing program for years, "a harsh filter." But that type of merciless filtration leaves you with better end products.

Print is not on its way out, just as radio was not on its way out—as many predicted it would be—when television burst on the scene. But the magazines that make it have to adapt, and part of that adaptation is making online, tablet friendly versions of their content a top priority. And those magazines that make it, like all businesses now, have to pay strict attention to their bottom lines.

So what we have left is Sportboat, a year-old quarterly publications with hopes of going bi-monthly and Performance Boats, which has been around for some time and publishes more frequently. Both are strong products, yet very different from one another—and that's a good thing.

A quick tip of the hat to the publisher of Performance Boats: While other high-performance boating magazines were treating their websites as afterthoughts, or not investing enough for them to be anything more than online space holders, he was building his magazine's online presence with original video content and message boards. That was very forward thinking for the time, and I believe it helped Performance Boats gain its strong position in the marketplace.

Above all else, a consumer magazine's markeplace determines its sustainability. At present, the high-performance powerboat market has two magazines serving it. Nothing would make me happier than having four or five magazines covering the go-fast world because that would indicate a boom market, but for now what the market has is what the market will support.
I enjoy reading print for the simple fact some individuals still understand grammar and punctuation. The "interweb" gets on my nerves. I spend more time correcting articles on the internet as I read them as opposed to absorbing the content.

Keep up the great work, Matt.

For reference, some of the key items hosed on a regular basis include: to (going to), too (also), two (a number), their (belonging to), there (place/location), too (also), were (past tense going to), we're (conjugation of "we are"), lose (the Bengals), and loose (a knot). I could go on all freaking day...
Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer print!!

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me......print.

I have been a subscriber to Performance Boats since the beginning and actually took both Lake and Offshore versions until I figured out that the only difference was pretty much the cover and one story in back.

Anyway, I have never looked at a online version of Performance Boats, even though I paid for it.

As for Sport Boat, I have not yet subscribed because I feel like I'm paying for something I'll never use (the online part)

I like reading boat magazines on my boat!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 622 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by blefever
For me......print.

I have been a subscriber to Performance Boats since the beginning and actually took both Lake and Offshore versions until I figured out that the only difference was pretty much the cover and one story in back.

Anyway, I have never looked at a online version of Performance Boats, even though I paid for it.

As for Sport Boat, I have not yet subscribed because I feel like I'm paying for something I'll never use (the online part)

I like reading boat magazines on my boat!
I get what your saying and reading the online version and downloading to your ipad is different since you cant store the online version of performance boats on the ipad so you have to have a connection to internet to read it.
Now once its loaded on the ipad your free to read it whenever and wherever you are.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Registered

Everything I subscribe to is electronic.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Sign of the times

NEWSWEEK to end print edition, go digital by year's end.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Registered

I wish i could find either one in print version around here, i'd buy them if i could find them..
Old 10-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 622 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by gotstreetracin
I wish i could find either one in print version around here, i'd buy them if i could find them..
you can order Sportboat here
https://www.circsource.com/store/sto...magazineId=303
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Newsweek is done printing the mag as of Jan 1. All digital going forward.....
Old 10-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 73 Posts

I prefer print (though my wife doesn't due to the stacks lol) but a trip Monday to buy SportBoat Monday left me a little disappointed...

I went to Books A Million (formerly Borders) to buy SportBoat. It took me literally, 20 minutes to find it. There had to have been 30 magazines for cars/trucks, 12 dedicated to Bass fishing, and 6+ for the R/C hobbies. There were THREE magazines for the entire boating section. WTF!? It's totally disappointing to see a few magazines dedicated only to low riding cars or how to make a Honda Civic annoying loud but only 1 magazine for the entire performance boating industry on the rack (SportBoat which was hidden on the opposite side next to Home & Garden stuff).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.