Notices

winterizing

Old 10-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcliberator
i'll say it again, though nobody will listen, just take the thermostat out!!! The it can be warm cold, whatever...

x2
Old 10-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to give this a go on Friday. The weather here in Washington has made getting out to the dock almost impossible. I have made a photocopy of the diagram that came with the motor. This miserable sketch gives me about eight different areas that I need to drain. With the help given me here on this forum I hope to make the necessary drainage occur. I just don't see any other way to do this. I don't want to be encumbered with professional help, though I really appreciate that it is available. Reports to follow.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

As I am too big to fit it the space between this 454 c.i. block and the edges of the engine compartment I elicited the assistance of the mechanic who maintains my girlfriend's 42 foot sail sailboat. He could just barely crawl in there far enough to access the butterfly valves on each side of the block; drained the headers; and removed a bolt on the back of the water pump to drain the rest. There was plenty of pink stuff left over from my first winterizing attempt. I used a vacuum pump to remove this from the bilge and dispose of it correctly. I feel comfortable that the job was done right.