Notices

winterizing

Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winterizing

Hey guys I was wonder if any body has any way to winterize a block with out starting it as I'm just starting to fix the port starter
Old 10-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I assume regular merc big blocks? Just pull all the hoses, drain the block, exhaust, and any coolers, then refill from the thermostat housing. Piece of cake! ....except getting to some of the clamps and drains.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The block sometimes won't drain cuz hole has stuff plugging it. Take a poker of some sort and clear block drain holes out. One guy mentioned a shop vac on the hoses. Would also make sure any coolers are emptied.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered

Coat hanger works well in block drains I have used a sump pump to push antifreeze also that's how I do a/c units
Old 10-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Registered

went to winterize the boat this morning and couldnt find the holes in the bottom of the block so i just drained the hoses and refilled the block with antifreeze through the hoses now im just hopeing the blocks full guess we'll find out in the spring
Old 10-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Registered

I took a 5 gal screwed a outdoor hose into the bottom- side attatched a legnth of garden hose to the spicket and my water ears on the drive.
Put a few gallons of anti-freeze in the bucket and set it higher than the drive.
Start engine open spicket and fast idle until i see only anti freeze coming out the exhaust.
Leaves pure a/f in engine.
Best part is no screwin w/hose clamps, etc. And you can use it year after year
Old 10-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by HEDGEHOGER
went to winterize the boat this morning and couldnt find the holes in the bottom of the block so i just drained the hoses and refilled the block with antifreeze through the hoses now im just hopeing the blocks full guess we'll find out in the spring
That is not the way to winterize them..you have to pull the plugs on the side of the block or they will freeze and crack the blocks..they are center of the block a little above where the oil pan bolts to the block..
Old 10-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
That is not the way to winterize them..you have to pull the plugs on the side of the block or they will freeze and crack the blocks..they are center of the block a little above where the oil pan bolts to the block..
+1 you WILL have cracked blocks come spring. You need to find the drains and drain them, or use the bucket method mentioned above.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by JETTDOGG
I took a 5 gal screwed a outdoor hose into the bottom- side attatched a legnth of garden hose to the spicket and my water ears on the drive.
Put a few gallons of anti-freeze in the bucket and set it higher than the drive.
Start engine open spicket and fast idle until i see only anti freeze coming out the exhaust.
Leaves pure a/f in engine.
Best part is no screwin w/hose clamps, etc. And you can use it year after year
Do you warm up first to get stats open? Ihave always ran motors up to temp first to ensure all cooling passages are full of a/f.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by HEDGEHOGER
That is not the way to do it. You need to drain the blocks. If you can't even find the block drains, you should be having a professional winterize it. You're risking 20k worth of engines to save $200.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.