Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Long or Short OutDrive life ! How many or few hours have you seen ? >

Long or Short OutDrive life ! How many or few hours have you seen ?

Notices

Long or Short OutDrive life ! How many or few hours have you seen ?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm couple questions..

800HP single engine 30ft boat. - yes no.
Whats that boat weight?

OCC joe - did you put all 160 hours on it throughout the 6 seasons or not?

In your first post you say no holeshots rarely wide open etc... -

If you didnt put all the hours on how may hours on the drives when you bought the boat vs what you put on in 6 seasons?

Uncle Dave
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

MDG built the boat and put 15 hrs on it , Then it went to Tampa where another 30hrs was put on the boat and i've had it for two years and two months and put the other 115 on it .. The boat was first splashed april of 07 ...
800hp single 30 5000lbs
Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 644 Likes on 303 Posts

Welcome to High Perf Boating
160hrs !! I only WISH I would be happy with ONE whole season.
XRs are NOT the answer.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I had a feelpng that after Kurt chimmed in that a lot of big posting Cigarrett owners would get on board ... And maybe XR's are not the answer so please give advise as to what is . And if your going to say you wish you could get 160 hrs then telll what drives and power you have .

Myself and many others have been mislead that the Konrads would last much longer and be stronger than their more affordable counterparts .
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#6 on a 30' single should hold up nicely......
$
Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Yeah there ya go add a few hundred pounds but probably won't break it lol

Last edited by Unlimited jd; 10-23-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OCCJoe
MDG built the boat and put 15 hrs on it , Then it went to Tampa where another 30hrs was put on the boat and i've had it for two years and two months and put the other 115 on it .. The boat was first splashed april of 07 ...
800hp single 30 5000lbs

You got the boat with 45 hours on it. You have no idea how it was run before you had it.

Thats a lot of weight for a single high HP setup.

Im on my 3rd drive in my o8 28 ft boat.
4500 lb Ilmor 710 running 80% offshore.

1st lasted 8 hour and a tooth broke dropped unto the unit and "stopped the train"

2nd one lasted 50 hours before the gears started to pit and prematurely wear the shafts.

3rd has gone 140 hours and I feel pretty lucky and no shavings as of yet.

You only have a few valid choices.

Xr's wont hold up as well as Konrads.

Areneson
Rebuild your Konrad (for 10K Id just do it - part of the deal)
An SCX - you will lose speed, but it likely wont break.
Bmax- dont know enough to say anything about it.

You either write a big check for something stouter- or suck it up.
sorry

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails Long or Short OutDrive life ! How many or few hours have you seen ?-xr-shaft.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 10-24-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
You got the boat with 45 hours on it. You have no idea how it was run before you had it.

Thats a lot of weight for a single high HP setup.

Im on my 3rd drive in my o8 28 ft boat.
4500 lb Ilmor 710 running 80% offshore.

1st lasted 8 hour and a tooth broke dropped unto the unit and "stopped the train"

2nd one lasted 50 hours before starting before the gears started to pit and prematurely wear the shafts.

3rd has gone 140 hours and I feel pretty lucky and no shavings as of yet.

You only have a few valid choices.

Xr's wont hold up as well as Konrads.

Areneson
Rebuild your Konrad (for 10K Id just do it - part of the deal)
An SCX - you will lose speed, but it likely wont break.
Bmax- dont know enough to say anything about it.

You either write a big check for something stouter- or suck it up.
sorry

Uncle Dave
So you bought your boat new and you blew your first drive within the first 8 hours? That had to pizz you off! Are you going to convert to a scx or something next time it breaks? For what I have spent on drive parts (and my SPARE drive) for my boat in past 10+ years I could have bought 2 scx's by now BUt this stuff wasn't available back then and I use boat alot less than I used to so I don't break it as often anymore, Smitty
Old 10-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
So you bought your boat new and you blew your first drive within the first 8 hours? That had to pizz you off! Are you going to convert to a scx or something next time it breaks? For what I have spent on drive parts (and my SPARE drive) for my boat in past 10+ years I could have bought 2 scx's by now BUt this stuff wasn't available back then and I use boat alot less than I used to so I don't break it as often anymore, Smitty
Yup-totally bummed.
I cant be too pist Teague rebuilt it under warranty.

I was going to see how far this one got me and make that call.

The scx will pull a ton of speed off my 28 as I only have 700 ponies. I wonder have you rem polished scx gears to see if they turn easier? If anyone has tried this its probably you!

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 10-23-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Were I stand right now I'm just too pissed off to do anything .. I had bought this boat because it had the Konrad on it . I feel like I was miss lead through advertising and all the rants and raves from other members about the Konrad in my boats build thread .. If 160 hours is what you get from them then it is what it is ! At least now I know and maybe others will be informed as well ..

And yes I am pissed at kurt solely on the info that he gave me when I called about the noise coming from my drive . I wanted to send the drive in for a checkup and a refinish and he said ( I don't expect to see the drive back at our shop till around the 800 hr mark you should just paint it ) I told him i had changed the oil a couple of times since I bought the boat and he said (you didn't have to change the oil till it reached 400hrs that that is the break in period ) I explained that I wanted to bump the motor up to the 900-950hp range and I was told ( the ace is rated for 800hp but as long as I didn't blast on it that it should hold just fine as they had some out there with over a thousand on them ) ...... Maybe Kurt had started drinking already , It was a Friday . I don't know , but what ever the case , the extent of the damage could have been prevented if the miss information was not given .........

A simple , Joe I f()cked up and shouldn't have told you to keep running your boat would have gone a long way ............And with a $9200 repair bill telling me that you were gonna help me out and pay shipping one way ($150) , well that was just a bi+ch slap . I would have more respect if you just said I'm sure you can afford it so were gonna just round it up to an even 10 grand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.