Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Advice:  Flame, Heat, Sunsation 36, or Other? >

Advice: Flame, Heat, Sunsation 36, or Other?

Notices

Advice: Flame, Heat, Sunsation 36, or Other?

Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Scogin
I do like several of the Baja boats you mentioned, but they are a dime a dozen around here in Texas. I would like to have some a little more less common.
Ohhhh yes they are. Then buy a Sunsation, I'm always getting asked what the hell kind of boat I have on Lake Travis. There are actually a handful of Nordics.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Scogin
I didn't really specify it, but I really like the look and feel of a performance boat. That is why I like the mid cabin open bow boats. In the past, we were actually looking at Cobalt boats which are very nice. BUT, driving a Cobalt on the water verses a Nordic would be like driving an SUV verses a corvette on the road. The SUV is comfy and will get you there, but the corvette is fun as hell to drive as your getting there.

If I was not worried about capacity, I would go with a standard closed bow boat. We fit 8 people in the Spyder Nova (several are kids) right now without much problem. My hope is that with a MCOB, we can go to 10+ if needed.

In regards to the factors of interest, I would rank them

0. The boat beam must be 8'6" or less (added this one)
1. looks
2. handling
3. rough water ride
4. sound
5. acceleration
6. speed

That being said, I really would like the boat to be a 70+ MPH boat with a medium load.

I do like several of the Baja boats you mentioned, but they are a dime a dozen around here in Texas. I would like to have some a little more less common.

I do like some of the Formula although they are heavy and slower. The SS line is nice, but the larger ones are too wide of beam.

Thanks for the feedback.
Found your boat! http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...rone-101730981

Chances of you seeing another are slim. Has cabin and bow rider, should run in the 90's
Old 10-26-2012, 03:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 32' mcob with full tabs can plane about 23 mph gps, have only done a little tubing & no skiing yet. Must have capt's call exhaust for the noise, then no big deal. As far as the 36' I would call Joe at the factory & if you can swing a trip to MI he will give a good tour & show you exactly how they are constructed. It seems like every year the sunny get finished with higher quality. Seeing the pics on the new 36's enginecompt where you can eat off it are amazing, even the washersused are color matched.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

Love the Nordics. I tube people behind my 28 Heat all the time, no problem, and have pulled skiers just fine. IMO, the Flame and 32/36 Sunny's wouldn't be appropriate for those activities -- as has been pointed out. If going bigger, my vote would be the 35 Flame mid-cabin -- but I'm biased to Nordics. Awesome lake boats. I'd buy a 35' Flame mid-cabin if I were in the market to go bigger. That said, Sunsations are top-shelf boats. You can't go wrong with any of them, and they'd handle the ocean better than a Nordic. I2D
Old 10-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Registered

The one time I tried pulling a tube with my Heat, I was a bit put off. The people I was pulling were a little squeamish and didnt want to really get into it. I kept falling off plane trying to keep them happy. That being said, I am with I2D, I love my Nordic and would like to keep it in the family if I ever go bigger.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

Find less whimpy tube riders -- and use a longer tow rope.
Hehehe.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby
The one time I tried pulling a tube with my Heat, I was a bit put off. The people I was pulling were a little squeamish and didnt want to really get into it. I kept falling off plane trying to keep them happy. That being said, I am with I2D, I love my Nordic and would like to keep it in the family if I ever go bigger.
The problem is the exhaust scares the crap out of them, plays tricks with the mind!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Registered

Haha, true on both counts guys. My solution, sell the tube and save the gas lol.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Registered

Do not buy a Kachina!!! You can get a 30 ft eliminator with an mcob and twins
Old 10-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned three Nordics, (4 times). Bought a 28 MCOB. Sold it after 4 years and bought a 35 MCOB. That boat was just too big for my boating style. It was very difficult to see with people in the bow and didn't plane at a slow enough speed. Sold it and bought a 25 Rage mcob. Perfect recreational boat, very fast but a bit rough for our boating environment. Bought the 28 back, which I never should have sold. It's the perfect lake boat. A 28 Heat or 288 Sunsation will require a 500 EFI or 525 EFI to consistently run an honest 70 here in Texas. I've driven several 288 sunsations. They ride pretty harsh in light chop, but handle rough very well. The 288 is slightly faster than the 28 Nordic with equal power, but the Nordic planes much quicker.

Bob Lloyd
Full Throttle Marine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.