Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Advice:  Flame, Heat, Sunsation 36, or Other? >

Advice: Flame, Heat, Sunsation 36, or Other?

Notices

Advice: Flame, Heat, Sunsation 36, or Other?

Old 10-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice: Flame, Heat, Sunsation 36, or Other?

First of all, I would like to say that this is an excellent forum and has expanded my knowledge greatly in regards to the sport boat market. I have been around boats since I was a little kid, but up until several years ago I primarily owned bass boats. In 2010, I bought a new bass boat and decided that I did not want to put the wear and tear on it from using it as a multipurpose boat as well. This led me to purchase a 1993 Wellcraft Spyder Nova (23ft plus swim platform). For the last two years, the Wellcraft has served my family great and the kids/wife really like it. However, the wife would like to take more people out and has suggested looking into a new boat. Thus far, these are my top three choices:

1. Nordic Flame MCOB
2. Nordic Heat MCOB
3. Sunsation 36 MCOB with quad bolsters

A few questions the experience on the forum may be able to offer some guidance in:

1. The two boat brands I am mainly looking at are Nordic and Sunsation, particularly the MCOB models. Besides catching more air and thus slightly slower are there any other disadvantages to the MCOB?
2. I really like the 35 flame thus far, but am worried it may be too long. Although we are not hardcore skiers, we do like to pull tubes and other towables quite a bit. Have any of you used a 35 foot boat for tubing? How did it work out?
3. Using trim tabs, I can currently stay on plane at 20 mph. On the flame and sensation 36, will it be possible to hold the bow down at 20 mph or is it not possible at that slow of speeds?
4. Also, is the slower hole shot going to be prohibitive for towables with the flame and Sunsation 36?
5. Currently, I prefer the 525 efi motor. Is there any reason I should consider the 496HO in regards to warranty and maintenance?
6. I like the wider beam of the Nordics, 102” verses 97”. How much of a difference will the wider beam make?
7. The Sunsation has wood construction. Any concerns?
8. Are there any other brands I should give condsideration to?

Any other advice would be very much appreciated. If I go with a new boat, I plan to order by the end of the year. If not, I need to purchase a used boat by the end of March.
Thanks, Matt
Old 10-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Registered

The two items that I am most concerned with are 2 & 3. What are any of your experiences with towing tubes with a 35 ft class boat?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Let me tell you this: I have a 32' Sunsation MCOB...and NOBODY wants to be pulled behind it. It's too big, too loud and just not made for watersports. It does put off a pretty awesome wake at low speeds, but it just is not what these boats are meant to do. You could do it...but if you really want to do watersports, you really should buy a different boat.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Registered

Our existing NOVA Spyder does pretty well pulling stuff, but it does throw quite the wake especially as low speeds. So it sounds like the 35-36 ft boat would be leaning towards a no go. Any thoughts on the 28 heat?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Keep the NOVA and get a 288
Old 10-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered

I like that idea, but being that I already have a bass boat and a pleasure boat that might be stretching my marriage a little far!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 45 Posts

i will say the mcob is awesome! best of both worlds and if you have a bow cover snap it on and your good to go with no wind and more storage. having access to the entire boat without having to walk on the deck is really nice too. i am partial to nordic, but sunsations are beautiful boats and excellent build quality, just remember that nordics are more of a lake boat than the sunsations. if you plan on using it in any type of big water other than inland lakes i would lean towards the sunny. the 28 heat is still suitable for water sports just not as nimble as your boat now, we actually don't use our rage for water sports cause you just can't whip them around like you can with a 20 or so foot boat
Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Registered

The boat would primarily be used on lakes so any of them should be able to handle the roughest water on a lake. Blownhammer2000, the rage looks like a nice boat. Did you purchase yours new? Any complaints?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matthew Scogin
The two items that I am most concerned with are 2 & 3. What are any of your experiences with towing tubes with a 35 ft class boat?
Don't bother. Twin steps don't turn well sharp.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Formula 330ss is what u want

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.