Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cover

Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GEORGE MAZ
The hull identification numbers are "SOP10638SG 83".

There is a rivet inside the "O" and another rivet over the space between "G" and "8". The floor of the bilge between the stringers has two sets of reinforcing ribs patterned in a Z formation. The center stringer is much thicker. I've seen these features on other 1980's Scorpion boats built by Julio DeVerona.

I haven't found a Scorpion picture logo anywhere on or in the boat. Still has the original cabin interior. Four fuel tanks. Most everything works and functions as it should. The lines on this boat are amazingly cool! I'm a big fan of the tall deck boats like 80's Carrera's. The wing really makes the look of this boat...I'm keeping it on there.

All the paperwork says "38 Scorpion" with a papertrail from three previous owners including a sales sheet from Top Gun Marine in Fort Lauderdale FL.

Does anyone have more info for this boat?
I'd sure like to hear it. Thanks.
So it seems this one is a Scorpion. This means there were at least two different 38' models (different hull and deck) by Scorpion. Pics anyone?

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
Looks like a Carrera 39 so it may very well be a Scorpion as he (Julio DeVarona) bought molds from Picon at Carrera.
It was a Paul haggerty design,,Distinctive because of the angled front deck which made everyone who tried boarding the boat by front slide off.
I think I do not know a Carrera 39'. This is the largest Carrera I have seen so far:

D you have pics of the 39'?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by olli
So it seems this one is a Scorpion. This means there were at least two different 38' models (different hull and deck) by Scorpion. Pics anyone?

I think I do not know a Carrera 39'. This is the largest Carrera I have seen so far:

D you have pics of the 39'?
Thats a 30

Carrera made a 24,27,30,32,36 and 39 plus an 18" cat
24 is the famous 24x7
27 and 30 share the same hull with different decks
32 and 36 share the same hull, some had steps,some didnt.
39 was by itself and they made very few.
I might have a pic of the 39 somewhere in my hardrives, have to search for it.
best bet is to get ahold of Alex Picon, Humberto's son,, he is a member on here as well.
I have plenty of pics on my site but no 39 pics
www.damncarrera.com

stepped Carrera 32
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...ist-side-2.jpg
couple of stepped Carrera 36s The Nuevo Dia raceboat and the Coca Cola raceboat
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...91832934_n.jpg

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 12-17-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Possibly I am wrong but this does neither look like a Chris Craft nor like a Scorpion but like a Pantera 38R.
Opinions please:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/power...cc63a87e#v4-45
$.02 worth- Looks exactly like a Chris Craft Scorpion which matches the ad, if I remember correctly the Scorpion was the Stinger's meatier sister.. Could be fixed up into a roomy old school cruiser, if interested in the boat I would want more current pictures instead of the "best of" collage posted.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definitely not a Chris Craft

The seller was told Chris Craft by a marina employee. He listed it as such all the while knowing none of the ownership paperwork indicated Chris Craft anywhere. I specifically asked him about this, because I felt it may have adversely affected his auction as it did lead to some confusion.
The sheer bulk of the stringers, reinforcing ribs in Z-formation, and hull ID# with "SOP" had me convinced this was definitively the work of Scorpion.

This vessel was registered with the USCG in 1991 with an Official number and known as "Party Time". It was red & white.

I was able to share pictures and chat with someone quite knowledgeable about this red 38' Scorpion. Here is the response I received;

"That hull was originally a Phantom, which is that boat right there. Later Scorpion bought the molds and renamed them. Then Pantera got their hands on them and I believe made a couple of them. Last I saw them they belonged to Condor boats and he made them for awhile. They were great rough water boats. The hull was a copy of a 38 Scarab with a raised deck. (The) 39 footer was a completely different boat. It had a 22 degree bottom which made for a very fast boat in flat water but not very good in heavy seas due to not much of a deep vee. The Scorpion on the other (hand) was the opposite. I hope this information is what you were looking for."
Old 12-19-2012, 02:24 AM
Registered

Thank you for sharing the info!

Unfortunately the brochure of the Pantera shows just a drawing of the leisure version..

Old 12-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the good thing about the forums. I wish people would post more pics.
Anyway, the other 38' model looked similar to this:

There is a thread on that model on SOS. Search for 'Remember this flying Pantara' in the 'Historic&Classic Offshore' section
That is not a pantara it clearly says cigarette on the side
Brett
Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

El Boss was Willy Diaz owner/driver and Julio (El Bombero) Devarona on sticks.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salty dog
El Boss was Willy Diaz owner/driver and Julio (El Bombero) Devarona on sticks.
These guys are classic in many ways
Old 06-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1983 Scorpion 38' is being offered For Sale.

Unfortunately, I have to offer this boat for sale. Currently, one engine is being rebuilt, the other running motor will be next. I just have too many projects to work on. Such a cool looking boat, pains me to have to give it up. It is located in Freeport, NY. (516) 297-0612

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.