When you need a few more inches..... >

When you need a few more inches.....

Notices

When you need a few more inches.....

Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Enough 4 Play
Eddie, my 1st 37 had Stellings boxes with the set up that you are talking about. I ended up raising the motors an inch along with the inner transom plate in order to run the long driveshaft straight into the Merc rubber coupler. At that time I was running some modified bravos with about 800 hp. The rubber coupler set up seemed to be easier on the drives. Best of luck with this setup and HP. Tape his wallet to the throttles to remind him they are not 6s.
No, not 6's, but are you familiar with SCX's? They're a bit more substantial than the bravo alternatives you probably had at the time. There are a number of SCX's out there running more power than I will be with no problems. Of course, I've just set myself up for a failure now......
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Enough 4 Play
Eddie, my 1st 37 had Stellings boxes with the set up that you are talking about. I ended up raising the motors an inch along with the inner transom plate in order to run the long driveshaft straight into the Merc rubber coupler. At that time I was running some modified bravos with about 800 hp. The rubber coupler set up seemed to be easier on the drives. Best of luck with this setup and HP. Tape his wallet to the throttles to remind him they are not 6s.
I would love to be able to run the long IMCO shaft straight into a rubber coupler, but that would mean raising the engines. We really could use a 3" up box, but that would require pretty large scoops. Not sure if you know or not, but these are carbed Whipples. Since they have a carb on top, they are pretty tall. The owner just doesn't want large scoops taking up the sun pad. Can't say I blame him for that. However, that means we have to sacrifice in other areas. I know it's going to cost us a few mph by not being as high as we need to be, but that's ok. It should still be plenty fast.

These SCX drives have been holding up exceptionally well with some power in front of them. It's still not a #6, but it's certianly not a Bravo 1 either. It should hold up just fine with the power.

Hope you and wife are doing well Gary. Talk soon.
Eddie