Notices

Ipad Chart Plotters

Old 12-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to do this but have found the iPad screen completely washes out in bright sunlight. Anyone else?
Old 12-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new Ipad wont wash out in sunlight like my old one. But I don't have GPS in my ipad, so I think I'm getting the ELF GPS that plugs into it. In a lot of the midwest lakes, we don't have 3G access on the water. Sometimes no cell signal at all. But with the ELF GPS attachment, it would use the satellites. It will also get you XM live weather and XM music so you don't have to have a cellphone signal and burn through your data plan. Unfortunately with the ELF plugged in, none of the cases will be waterproof but not a dealbreaker.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You sure about GPS? My understanding was that they all have GPS in them now. I'll try my new one in direct sun next summer.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have a newer iPad it will have built in GPS. Like I said, I have used my iPad 3 50-60 miles off-shore in the gulf, and 15-20 offshore in Lake Michigan with no issues. Just make sure you have the maps downlaoded to the device before you go.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 5,040 Likes on 1,422 Posts
Thumbs up

So if i don`t like apple and wanna save some $$ I could go

+ a mount and navionics .. I`m in!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Registered

The Ipad 3 that does NOT have 3g service does not have a built-in GPS. It uses the 3g and/or wifi "as" the GPS using known wifi points and towers for triangulation.

So without internet connection and no 3g signal, you still have to have a standalone GPS unit plugged in.

At least thats what I'm being told by ELF, the wifi-only Ipod has what is called "Assisted GPS" which, like I said, only uses wifi or 3g to help find its location.

Last edited by waterboy222; 12-26-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the iNavX app for my iPad. The charts are great and it tracks very accurately.

The drawbacks: In the bright Texas sunlight, it was all but useless because I could not see the washed-out screen. Also, the device, after sitting in the sun, overheated and shut off.

As a route planning tool, or a back-up Chartplotter the iPad is great, but IMO, it does not perform as well as a dedicated chartplotter.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
The Ipad 3 that does NOT have 3g service does not have a built-in GPS. It uses the 3g and/or wifi "as" the GPS using known wifi points and towers for triangulation.

So without internet connection and no 3g signal, you still have to have a standalone GPS unit plugged in.

At least thats what I'm being told by ELF, the wifi-only Ipod has what is called "Assisted GPS" which, like I said, only uses wifi or 3g to help find its location.
That's completely false unless the iPad spec page is wrong or I have some super secret special unit

The 3 does have cell assisted GPS which helps it acquire signal and location faster when 3g is available, but you do not need service to use the GPS functionality. I have tested this off shore and in the air where there is absolutely ZERO cell service. It performs flawlessly as long as you have the appropriate maps downloaded.

I know this is wikipedia but here is a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_%2...on%29#Hardware

I think ELF is trying to sell product.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Registered

Here is A-GPS... it's basically like a WAAS system using cell towers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS
Old 12-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
That's completely false unless the iPad spec page is wrong or I have some super secret special unit

The 3 does have cell assisted GPS which helps it acquire signal and location faster when 3g is available, but you do not need service to use the GPS functionality. I have tested this off shore and in the air where there is absolutely ZERO cell service. It performs flawlessly as long as you have the appropriate maps downloaded.

I know this is wikipedia but here is a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_%2...on%29#Hardware

I think ELF is trying to sell product.

Yes, in 3g enabled Ipads, the GPS will work when you dont have a signal because it HAS gps.. in the wifi ipad, it does not have gps or 3g capabilities.
Everything you posted is discussing the 3G and A-GPS, which is not included int the "Wi-Fi Ipad" like I have.
The GPS is part of the radio (3G/4G) chipsets if you only get a Wi-Fi pad you don't get a GPS sorry
From Ipad FAQ site.

If you scroll down to the "comparisons" area and look at the Ipad Wifi, you'll see the word "GPS" left off in the comparisons between the 3g and the wifi.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Wi‑Fi Model
-Wi‑Fi (802.11a/b/g/n; 802.11n on 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
Bluetooth 4.0 technology

Wi‑Fi + Cellular (AT&T)Model
Bluetooth 4.0 technology
GSM/EDGE
UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA
LTE4
GPS and GLONASS
Data only5

Wi‑Fi + Cellular (Verizon or Sprint) Model
Bluetooth 4.0 technology
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B
GSM/EDGE
UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA
LTE4
GPS and GLONASS
Data only5

Last edited by waterboy222; 12-26-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.