Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why are high performance boats so expensive! >

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Notices

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you could ask the same question about cars. I read in the DuPont registry where a guy paid 6 Million bucks for a McLaren F-1! When New they sold for about 850,000 (IF you could get one) how can there POSSIBLY be that much technology in a car? Remember it's NOT 40 ft long, single engine/drive, no "cabin" etc,etc,etc.

The one marine part that DOES boggle my mind is props, I don't care what kind of material or R&D is utilized I cannot fathom how 2 pieces of metal 30" in diameters can cost THOUSANDS of dollars?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by n20michael
I guess you could ask the same question about cars. I read in the DuPont registry where a guy paid 6 Million bucks for a McLaren F-1! When New they sold for about 850,000 (IF you could get one) how can there POSSIBLY be that much technology in a car? Remember it's NOT 40 ft long, single engine/drive, no "cabin" etc,etc,etc.

The one marine part that DOES boggle my mind is props, I don't care what kind of material or R&D is utilized I cannot fathom how 2 pieces of metal 30" in diameters can cost THOUSANDS of dollars?
You typed my mind, I was just looking at the for sale section on here.... Wow! All I can say on some props..... These high priced cars however, don't need serviced every 25 hrs, don't get 2 mpg motors freshened up etc.. Seems like these 500k+ boats just keep attacking your pockets..

Still no luck on the new boat yet ?

Rick
Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Registered

A clutch re and re on that McLaren is 60K, brake job is almost 30K, tune ups are 10K minimum, and unlike Merc motors there probably aren't a dozen places locally who will (or can) repair it. )-:

Not to mention insurance, YIKES!!

I am still shopping, I moved my cottage this year, which ended up costing about 10 times more than I thought! LOL

Have my heart set on an Outerlimits, but, will probably buy a bigger Baja or Fountain and then save some more bank before biting the bullet.

Last edited by n20michael; 12-23-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

A clutch re and re on that McLaren is 60K, brake job is almost 30K, tune ups are 10K minimum, and unlike Merc motors there probably aren't a dozen places locally who will (or can) repair it. )-:

Not to mention insurance, YIKES!!

I am still shopping, I moved my cottage this year, which started out costing about 10 times more than I thought! LOL

Have my heart set on an Outerlimits, but, will probably buy a bigger Baja or Fountain and then save some more bank before biting the bullet.
I guess I can check the Mcaren off of my Christmas list... OUCH! .. Probably why they never drive them!!

Best of luck on the boat, I'm surrounded by Boat shops so let me know if something grabs you attention in my area will go check it out for ya...

Rick
Old 12-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Registered

Thanks Rick! I appreciate it, and Likewise!

Merry Christmas to you and your family, best of luck in 2013!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weekend@burnies
try and run a car/light truck motor on a 4500 rpm + long run
I'm sure you will be disapointed when it fails quickly
automotive motors do not see 5000 rpm in there whole life as much as a performance marine engine does in one outing
You're not too familiar w/ the development tests then for automotive.....which are for more strenuous than what marine guys are doing and ran flat out for days on end. They are also expected to be warrantied for 50 to 100k. However the volumes are usually much higher to amortize costs.

I take the LSA vs merc racing, both are low volume, decent power. You pay way more for the Merc, not sure why sometimes other than less competition.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks Rick! I appreciate it, and Likewise!

Merry Christmas to you and your family, best of luck in 2013!
Same to you and yours!!

Rick
Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Lets say you buy that boat with "aftermarket power". A few months later it is Saturday morning poker run and you broke a 100 dollar part. Good chance that the merc part can be found and get you on your way, slim chance with anything else.

I think the merc pricing is crazy as well, but to keep me going on a weekend using parts found at a local dealer is priceless.
You will have alot better chance finding parts for a 502/550hp NA motor than you will for a Merc Racing 525efi!...thats if you can find someone to put a scanner on it for your so you can find out whats wrong with it to begin with.

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
I can understand that statement to an extent. Waterpumps, impellors etc... But when you can build a 600hp 502 using the best parts for a fraction of what they sell the 565 for wtf does it matter? Longevity? Yeah right! The Merc power doesn't last any longer or shorter than if it was done by you in your garage.
+100

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
I would bet that 95% of Merc dealers have nothing in stock for any Merc blue engine.....
+100
Old 12-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 12-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Because they r fun and having fun isn't cheap!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.