Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why are high performance boats so expensive! >

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Notices

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Old 12-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Another question I guess, everyone keeps saying one off drives price way up, but if it has the same hull as the others, same power and drives as the others how are they considered one offs? Paint and interior design?

I know some have differant power and drives, but I know these guys all run the latest and greatest...

Rick
Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My belief is that some of the smaller boats are priced a little closer to the cost...but the bigger boats....I think the manufacturers just test what the market could bare. There are big wigs that have no problem dropping some serious coin on the latest and greatest boats and have no problem being the one to take the hit on the depreciation.

The makers of the motors, drives and steering are pricing their products high because they can do it and get away with it period. I must say that they were very smart by standing fast and creating a monopoly that no one has been able to meaningfully penetrate.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

[QUOTE=turbo rr;3835943]My belief is that some of the smaller boats are priced a little closer to the cost...but the bigger boats....I think the manufacturers just test what the market could bare. There are big wigs that have no problem dropping some serious coin on the latest and greatest boats and have no problem being the one to take the hit on the depreciation.

The makers of the motors, drives and steering are pricing their products high because they can do it and get away with it period. I must say that they were very smart by standing fast and creating a monopoly that no one has been able to meaningfully penetrate.[/

Excellent point! Sure makes It tough on the guys with shallow pockets to enter into the big power boating world!

Seems like there would be more money to be made by selling more for less..

60-70 units per year at lets say 75k would be 5.5 million

5 per year sold at 500k is only 2.5 mill

I know drives and motors are expensive, however, I also know the price we pay is no where near there cost to build!!!

Again, my opinions !

Rick
Old 12-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Rwbrew3;3835969]
Originally Posted by turbo rr
My belief is that some of the smaller boats are priced a little closer to the cost...but the bigger boats....I think the manufacturers just test what the market could bare. There are big wigs that have no problem dropping some serious coin on the latest and greatest boats and have no problem being the one to take the hit on the depreciation.

The makers of the motors, drives and steering are pricing their products high because they can do it and get away with it period. I must say that they were very smart by standing fast and creating a monopoly that no one has been able to meaningfully penetrate.[/

Excellent point! Sure makes It tough on the guys with shallow pockets to enter into the big power boating world!

I know drives and motors are expensive, however, I also know the price we pay is no where near there cost to build!!!

Again, my opinions !

Rick
+1
Old 12-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Rwbrew3;3835969]
Originally Posted by turbo rr

Again, my opinions !

Rick
70 units per year at 75k, total 5.5 mil REVENUE. Lets say the profit is $15k each. That leaves you 1 million in gross profit, from which you must pay the employees to build those 70 boats, and all overhead. Tight ship

Now, do a small operation and build those 5 boats you mentioned at $500k, and make $100k each giving you a total gross profit of $500k. Sell 10 and you are at the same profit as the guy building the 70 boats at $75k! Also a tight ship, but a lot less stress, warranty risk, and variables.

A smart investor would choose the 5 boat manufacture. Keep in mind also the manufacture that builds the $75k boats relies on the banks to finance their end users, which is not an easy task on a performance boat today. The mfg that makes $500k boats has CASH customers

Do you think Ferrari is upset about the amount of mustangs that Ford sells? No, they just keep building high profit, low volume cars.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

Walk into a West Marine store and explain why everything is so overpriced ?
Old 12-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Again this is all because marketing takes precidance over engineering, pretty much standard practice these days. Its also worth noting nearly all CEO's of just about all major companies like these are out of marketing as well.
Had kind of an epiphany last night lol. Here i am on the Bravo breakage thread b!tching about how Merc treats us as the customer with careful manipulative and articulated product development/engineering/marketing and then in this thread about why boats cost so much my position was "hey i own the mold . . . why would i build two boats for fifty grand when i can just build one and sell it for a hundred" lol . . . boy if i wasnt me i would say i was kind of a dik hed lol. well theres one thing for sure to be in this hobby ya either gotta have deep pockets or ya gotta be real creative. I think thats why i enjoy the tech section so much on this board, to see some of the boats that some of the guys on here build with moderate budgets is very impressive. Heck thats probably what got me into the biz in the first place

I actually posted this in the other thread but then moved it here as i thought for the thread starter it would be best to help keep that topic on track, its a very good thread. Posted a couple biches over there that were prolly unnecessary to the gathering of info, sorry bout that Smitty
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

[QUOTE=4bus;3836048]
Originally Posted by Rwbrew3

70 units per year at 75k, total 5.5 mil REVENUE. Lets say the profit is $15k each. That leaves you 1 million in gross profit, from which you must pay the employees to build those 70 boats, and all overhead. Tight ship

Now, do a small operation and build those 5 boats you mentioned at $500k, and make $100k each giving you a total gross profit of $500k. Sell 10 and you are at the same profit as the guy building the 70 boats at $75k! Also a tight ship, but a lot less stress, warranty risk, and variables.

A smart investor would choose the 5 boat manufacture. Keep in mind also the manufacture that builds the $75k boats relies on the banks to finance their end users, which is not an easy task on a performance boat today. The mfg that makes $500k boats has CASH customers

Do you think Ferrari is upset about the amount of mustangs that Ford sells? No, they just keep building high profit, low volume cars.

I get what you are saying, however, if I was an investor, I'm going after sales and profit. Something like this there would be lots of investors, 5 units @ 500k probably wouldnt be worth them throwing in the pot.

Now 75k, And I'm only guessing here, but that's first year would be crazy, I know my lil 25 outlaw would be gone, and the boat that I could never afford would be in my driveway!

I'm sure there would be thousansands of sales!!

Rick

Last edited by Rwbrew3; 12-22-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Rwbrew3;3836115]
Originally Posted by 4bus

I get what you are saying, however, if I was an investor, I'm going after sales and profit. Something like this there would be lots of investors, 5 units @ 500k probably wouldnt be worth them throwing in the pot.

Now 75k, And I'm only guessing here, but that's first year would be crazy, I know my lil 25 outlaw would be gone, and the boat that I could never afford would be in my driveway!

I'm sure there would be thousansands of sales!!

Rick
If you want to replace your 25 ft boat with a new model at $75k I think checkmate is your answer.

http://checkmatepowerboats.net/Check...incor-260.html
Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

[QUOTE=4bus;3836144]
Originally Posted by Rwbrew3

If you want to replace your 25 ft boat with a new model at $75k I think checkmate is your answer.

http://checkmatepowerboats.net/Check...incor-260.html
No, I'm saying the brand new boats that's sales for $500k was to drop to 75k I wold be all over it, long with about a million guys...

We can dream!!

Still don't see where all that money goes !!

Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.