Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why are high performance boats so expensive! >

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Notices

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Rwbrew3;3836164]
Originally Posted by 4bus

No, I'm saying the brand new boats that's sales for $500k was to drop to 75k I wold be all over it, long with about a million guys...

We can dream!!

Still don't see where all that money goes !!

Rick

Rick, you have to get on one, not just pictures. Like anything else, seeing in person brings into prospective.

They bring a new meaning to bling, and attention to detail. So many one off polished parts. So much labor making things look clean.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Walk into a West Marine store and explain why everything is so overpriced ?
Small market, big overhead.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=4bus;3836172]
Originally Posted by Rwbrew3

Rick, you have to get on one, not just pictures. Like anything else, seeing in person brings into prospective.

They bring a new meaning to bling, and attention to detail. So many one off polished parts. So much labor making things look clean.
I've been on some pretty nice boats, DCB last year, amazing boat! But when sitting in it, I just couldn't see where all that money went. Then I've been in a 500k home, that was 5k square ft plus, 3 car garage, big lot, I could see where that money went. I'm just saying, it's still just seats, motor, drives, yeah the beautiful colors on the paint and interior set It a part from some others but at the end of the day it's still just 43ft of fiberglass, with a bling factor!!

Again, not putting these boats down, just my opinion!!

Rick

Again, these oats are amazing
Old 12-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just another thought....

I bet if everyone who buys these boats stopped paying those ridiculous prices the cost would come down dramatically.i would have to believe that these manufactures and dealers know that they have made these things almost un-achievable to purchase for the man who doesn't want to put all of his life's belongings. I know there are the ridiculously rich people that don't care what they spend on a boat, they just drop the coin.

I've seen some serious horror stories on here with guys who drop money on these things and never got to get it wet or park it in there driveway. They put up everything they had to get it and now have nothing but collection letters and threats of law suites from the lending institution.

My point is this, these boats are an addiction to some, and there is nothing they wouldnt do to have one regardless of price tag or financial consequences.

Opinion !

Rick
Old 12-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Registered

Lets say you buy that boat with "aftermarket power". A few months later it is Saturday morning poker run and you broke a 100 dollar part. Good chance that the merc part can be found and get you on your way, slim chance with anything else.

I think the merc pricing is crazy as well, but to keep me going on a weekend using parts found at a local dealer is priceless.
I can understand that statement to an extent. Waterpumps, impellors etc... But when you can build a 600hp 502 using the best parts for a fraction of what they sell the 565 for wtf does it matter? Longevity? Yeah right! The Merc power doesn't last any longer or shorter than if it was done by you in your garage.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Lets say you buy that boat with "aftermarket power". A few months later it is Saturday morning poker run and you broke a 100 dollar part. Good chance that the merc part can be found and get you on your way, slim chance with anything else.

I think the merc pricing is crazy as well, but to keep me going on a weekend using parts found at a local dealer is priceless.
I would bet that 95% of Merc dealers have nothing in stock for any Merc blue engine.....
Old 12-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
I would bet that 95% of Merc dealers have nothing in stock for any Merc blue engine.....

or black ones in many cases unless it's an outboard.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Small market, big overhead.
300 plus stores isn't small.
ed
Old 12-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
300 plus stores isn't small.
ed
Still a small market. Drove by the one local today while out shopping. The rest of the stores were packed and I would guess there was a dozen customers in West Marine. 300 stores = big overhead. I am a supporter of Boat US and buy from West Marine but I would be curious to see the average daily sales...
Old 12-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Mine, Brewerton Boat Yard, has everything you can think of in stock, he is like the merc warehouse. He will charge you list plus 10%, but he has it on a Sunday morning in the summer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.