Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why are high performance boats so expensive! >

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Notices

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Old 12-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
Just another thought....

I bet if everyone who buys these boats stopped paying those ridiculous prices the cost would come down dramatically.i would have to believe that these manufactures and dealers know that they have made these things almost un-achievable to purchase for the man who doesn't want to put all of his life's belongings. I know there are the ridiculously rich people that don't care what they spend on a boat, they just drop the coin.

I've seen some serious horror stories on here with guys who drop money on these things and never got to get it wet or park it in there driveway. They put up everything they had to get it and now have nothing but collection letters and threats of law suites from the lending institution.

My point is this, these boats are an addiction to some, and there is nothing they wouldnt do to have one regardless of price tag or financial consequences.

Opinion !

Rick
So you want the guys, that shell out .5-2 million dollars to have the next best thing that no one else has to stop buying to force the market down, because you believe the mfg are getting too rich on boat sales?
Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Rwbrew3;3836216]
Originally Posted by 4bus

I've been on some pretty nice boats, DCB last year, amazing boat! But when sitting in it, I just couldn't see where all that money went. Then I've been in a 500k home, that was 5k square ft plus, 3 car garage, big lot, I could see where that money went. I'm just saying, it's still just seats, motor, drives, yeah the beautiful colors on the paint and interior set It a part from some others but at the end of the day it's still just 43ft of fiberglass, with a bling factor!!

Again, not putting these boats down, just my opinion!!

Rick

Again, these oats are amazing
Rick,

I understand you want a new 39 ft outerlimits with twin 700scis and number 6 drives for $75k, don't we all? If you think it is possible to build I say do it! Most successful businesses start with a great idea.....get to work!

That 500k home that you speak of, how many off the shelf parts from the millions of other home built around the world does it use? VOLUME! How many times has it been said in this thread?

If you can build and sell as many boats as we do houses, maybe then the volume would force prices down. This would also invite a new comer to really compete with merc. Until then, they will keep building ultra expensive HP boats for the
.0005 percent of the population that wants them
Old 12-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So you want the guys, that shell out .5-2 million dollars to have the next best thing that no one else has to stop buying to force the market down, because you believe the mfg are getting too rich on boat sales?
No, I said I wonder if it would have an impact.. All is hypothetical, I'm not thinking I could have any sort of impact on the boating world. I just brought this up to see if these boats where way over priced, and if they could be bought for lots less if the the big players involved didnt try to make a killin on each sale.

I don't see anyone having what the others don't... Just differant paint and name on the boat.

But yes, these guys are making way to much money ... Haha!

It's just thoughts, I'm no1!!

Rick
Old 12-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

[QUOTE=4bus;3836312]

Rick,

I understand you want a new 39 ft outerlimits with twin 700scis and number 6 drives for $75k, don't we all? If you think it is possible to build I say do it! Most successful businesses start with a great idea.....get to work!

That 500k home that you speak of, how many off the shelf parts from the millions of other home built around the world does it use? VOLUME! How many times has it been said in this thread?

If you can build and sell as many boats as we do houses, maybe then the volume would force prices down. This would also invite a new comer to really compete with merc. Until then, they will keep building ultra expensive HP boats for the
.0005 percent of the population that wants them
That's funny!! Not a chance could I build one. My reference to the house is that you can see where all of your money's went, land and dwelling! You can raise a family in it, you build equity etc.

Please don't take me wrong, I'm just a curios guy, with thoughts !

Rick
Old 12-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Rwbrew3;3836317]

That's funny!! Not a chance could I build one. My reference to the house is that you can see where all of your money's went, land and dwelling! You can raise a family in it, you build equity etc.

Please don't take me wrong, I'm just a curios guy, with thoughts !

Rick
I get your point, they are expensive. But it also makes them semi exclusive, which is nice.

Think of the invasion of the jet skis in the 90's. I don't want to see that in the performance boat world

Funny thing is, if anyone could make them less expensive it would be the Asians right? A new Yamaha 24 ft boat will set you back about $55k.....there has to be more that we see
Old 12-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I guess another way to look at it...

The average low end hp boat cost is 50k... Now you can buy a Lexus And or a BMW for that, these cars have way more technology, they have huge production, tons of advertisement.. All of this wich lands in the billions, but they still can move there product at an affordable price and still cover all there cost ad make a huge profit.I know they sale thousands of these automobiles per year vs a few 500k boats. That's is why I brought this thread up, why couldn't it be the same in the boat world.

Rick
Old 12-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

[QUOTE=4bus;3836320]

I get your point, they are expensive. But it also makes them semi exclusive, which is nice.

Think of the invasion of the jet skis in the 90's. I don't want to see that in the performance boat world

Funny thing is, if anyone could make them less expensive it would be the Asians right? A new Yamaha 24 ft boat will set you back about $55k.....there has to be more that we see

Man, that's got me cracking up!,however, if you do some research, those boats you mention are already being made !

Rick
Old 12-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess another way to look at it...

The average low end hp boat cost is 50k... Now you can buy a Lexus And or a BMW for that, these cars have way more technology, they have huge production, tons of advertisement.. All of this wich lands in the billions, but they still can move there product at an affordable price and still cover all there cost ad make a huge profit.I know they sale thousands of these automobiles per year vs a few 500k boats. That's is why I brought this thread up, why couldn't it be the same in the boat world.

Rick
Hmmm... Knowing what I know it is hard to relpy. IMO a 28' V hull with a 400 hp efi engine and a Merc driveline should be around 60-75k on trailer delivered. Not only is Merc wanting astonomical amounts for their driveline but the EPA and the raw material suppliers offer a load of bullchit to justify the price.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Hmmm... Knowing what I know it is hard to relpy. IMO a 28' V hull with a 400 hp efi engine and a Merc driveline should be around 60-75k on trailer delivered. Not only is Merc wanting astonomical amounts for their driveline but the EPA and the raw material suppliers offer a load of bullchit to justify the price.
Yes sir!! Thats why i wonder what the true cost would be before these guys started in with there off the wall numbers.. I was starting at a 25fter ( I have one ) haha. So I had to be included.. I think the lower end ones could be bought in that range, talking basic model boats here. Then the cars mentioned are up there in quality,performance and technology and can be had for the same or even less.

Opinions, no facts here!

Rick
Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

So I looked at lots of boats last nights, mostly DCB, to see how these are one offs, or something no one else hase... Well that didn't happen! they are almost identical except for the paint, interior, and sometimes power.. Hull,layout,gauges , etc all the same.

Is almost like the chopper world, all the same, just pick your color package and motor...

I'm not bashing anyone, those boats are beautiful, but it's my opinion they are way way over priced.

Also, looked at some outerlimits, and a few others, same thing!!

Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.