Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why are high performance boats so expensive! >

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Notices

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
So I looked at lots of boats last nights, mostly DCB, to see how these are one offs, or something no one else hase... Well that didn't happen! they are almost identical except for the paint, interior, and sometimes power.. Hull,layout,gauges , etc all the same.

Is almost like the chopper world, all the same, just pick your color package and motor...

I'm not bashing anyone, those boats are beautiful, but it's my opinion they are way way over priced.

Also, looked at some outerlimits, and a few others, same thing!!

Rick
I can't speak for DCB, but if you think Baja and Outerlimits are the same because they both have monster gauges.....I can't type enough to set you straight.

I think however, if you could find a bunch of main stream parts from the housing and auto industry, and build a boat out of them you may be able to drive the price down. And you would be able to buy parts at home depot and auto zone

And BTW, the manufacture does not pay the retail price for the merc power.

So, in your head. Yu think a $500k retail boat that can be purchased for $375,000 has $310,000 of gross profit built into the price. And if everyone would just give a pc of the "extra" $300k in profit we could all purchase new 40 ft boats that do 125mph? Dude...
Old 12-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
I can't speak for DCB, but if you think Baja and Outerlimits are the same because they both have monster gauges.....I can't type enough to set you straight.

I think however, if you could find a bunch of main stream parts from the housing and auto industry, and build a boat out of them you may be able to drive the price down. And you would be able to buy parts at home depot and auto zone

And BTW, the manufacture does not pay the retail price for the merc power.

So, in your head. Yu think a $500k retail boat that can be purchased for $375,000 has $310,000 of gross profit built into the price. And if everyone would just give a pc of the "extra" $300k in profit we could all purchase new 40 ft boats that do 125mph? Dude...
I guess if you want look at it like that then yes, this I a world of the richer get richer and the poorer want what the rich have. There could only be two avenues for them to travel...drop prices and sale boats, people stop getting taken and stop buying. People are so willing to pay these price tags, not because they think they are getting a good deal, because it's hundreds of thousands of dollars so it must be good. Why is everything on are planet going up in price, but are wages barley budge!!

Like I've said, I'm not try into be a smat butt, or cause problems, I just wanted to know if theses things could be sold for less, and if the mark ups on all involed is where it comes fom.

Rick
Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So I looked at lots of boats last nights, mostly DCB, to see how these are one offs, or something no one else hase... Well that didn't happen! they are almost identical except for the paint, interior, and sometimes power.. Hull,layout,gauges , etc all the same.
Rick
You just don't know your looking for. When you looked at DCB i assume you mean you looked at pictures. I don't think your going to understand "custom" by looking at pictures. Sure there's gel design, power and interior but there is more than that.

Go through a build and you'll find there is more to custom than paint, power, interior color. I've gone through 2 compete new boat builds. A Ultra and a DCB. Sure there were boats on the market used but being a lifelong boater and knowing what I like and don't like, there were a few requirements that I specifically had which I couldn't find on the used market. Why "settle" when I have the opportunity to "get what I want" Both Ultra and DCB worked with me to incorporate the customizations I wanted.

Is it expensive? I guess depends on what "it's worth" to you. If I spent half the money but wasn't satisfied or it was lacking something wanted/needed, then was it worth the savings? Not to me. That's not to say I wouldn't buy used versus buying new. All the other boats i've ever had have been used and I was happy with

People are so willing to pay these price tags, not because they think they are getting a good deal, because it's hundreds of thousands of dollars so it must be good. Why is everything on are planet going up in price, but are wages barley budge!!
Rick
I read this and laughed thinking "this kid just doesn't get it and i'm not sure he ever would."

I'm not meaning anything mean by that statement, but based upon the thread and all the responses and input, I'm not really sure what you could be told to understand the difference between a custom boat builder and that are "mass" produced.

Last edited by drejustice; 12-23-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've have always wondered why hp boats are so expensive, what is it that drives the prices up so high? I know motors, drives, hull are not cheap, but dang !! Once you get over 30ft and within a few years of when the boat was built it sky rockets out of most peoples reach!

Are the boats that cost anywhere from $100k up to $650k because people are willing to pay it, or is there really that much money put in them?

Hypotheticaly, if someone could do everything from ground up, I mean everything from building the motor, not putting together or buying parts,, I mean just like they do say at mercury, then fiberglassing and or whatever material to mold a hull, gauges, drives, paint and whatever else goes into it to have a completed hp boat. Would the coast be anywhere near what they sale for.

I'm just curious is all, I know, if you have to ask!! But I just really was curious, I have no clue what goes into the building of one of these boats so I figured I would Ask.

Rick
Go spend 2-3 months every day at a custom shop and look at the manpower it takes to lay up, build, paint/gel, rig a boat and you will have a much better understanding than we can all put into words.

You will be astonished at the man hours it takes to go from order to delivery. Simply moving around all the parts is a huge task.

Then on top of all that you need to warranty your product, and maintain liability insurance for the morons that crash it and wish to blame you.

Uncle Dave
Old 12-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 262 Likes on 104 Posts

friend of mine just paid $400 for a baseball bat, makes my boat purchase look reasonable. pick your poison.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 262 Likes on 104 Posts

im in the collision repair biz. try this one, $380 for a radiator overflow/washer fluid bottle for a chrysler aspen. nothing but a glorified milk jug.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by drejustice
You just don't know your looking for. When you looked at DCB i assume you mean you looked at pictures. I don't think your going to understand "custom" by looking at pictures. Sure there's gel design, power and interior but there is more than that.

Go through a build and you'll find there is more to custom than paint, power, interior color. I've gone through 2 compete new boat builds. A Ultra and a DCB. Sure there were boats on the market used but being a lifelong boater and knowing what I like and don't like, there were a few requirements that I specifically had which I couldn't find on the used market. Why "settle" when I have the opportunity to "get what I want" Both Ultra and DCB worked with me to incorporate the customizations I wanted.

Is it expensive? I guess depends on what "it's worth" to you. If I spent half the money but wasn't satisfied or it was lacking something wanted/needed, then was it worth the savings? Not to me. That's not to say I wouldn't buy used versus buying new. All the other boats i've ever had have been used and I was happy with

I read this and laughed thinking "this kid just doesn't get it and i'm not sure he ever would."

I'm not meaning anything mean by that statement, but based upon the thread and all the responses and input, I'm not really sure what you could be told to understand the difference between a custom boat builder and that are "mass" produced.
I fully understand, I'm no kid!! It was just a fun topic, or so I thought... I truly apologize if in the event I over stepped my boundaries. I understand these boats are not cheap, was just wondering if they had to be so expensive, meaning, are drives really that expensive or do they just have us by the shot hairs, same for motors etc...

I've stated in every post it was just my opinion !

Rick
Old 12-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Go spend 2-3 months every day at a custom shop and look at the manpower it takes to lay up, build, paint/gel, rig a boat and you will have a much better understanding than we can all put into words.

You will be astonished at the man hours it takes to go from order to delivery. Simply moving around all the parts is a huge task.

Then on top of all that you need to warranty your product, and maintain liability insurance for the morons that crash it and wish to blame you.

Uncle Dave
I would love that, however, Im in Dallas and there is no builders that I'm aware of. But I fully understand your point, and appreciate the comment.

Rick
Old 12-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I get the point y'all are making about bats, and clubs and how nothing is cheap. I was just wondering if they had to be so expensive!

I'm in the same game of life as the rest of you, forced to pay more than something is worth and be ok with that. I was not trying to imply that things don't cost, rather do they have to cost so much.
If you read my first post, it was presented as a question, never a statement of fact!

Rick
Old 12-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by SABER28
im in the collision repair biz. try this one, $380 for a radiator overflow/washer fluid bottle for a chrysler aspen. nothing but a glorified milk jug.
I was in the defense industry. We joked we could give the military the equipment for free and still make money selling them repair parts.
ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.