What is a 26" Scarab w/900HP worth? >

What is a 26" Scarab w/900HP worth?

Notices

What is a 26" Scarab w/900HP worth?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goebel1
I strongly believe the built is extremely reliable it was built to take more HP.
My point was that if it has 900hp and its say an 85mph boat and a simular 26ft single that has 600hp runs 85 than that 900hp just means it burns a lot of fuel, and its either set up wrong or the hull is a slug. I'm actively looking at boats 25-28ft single engine, I have found huge variations on what they run. I think more people are paying attention to the efficiency of the hull these days, (I know I am) I'm sure that it is reliable, I looks like you spent extra in places to make sure of that. If the boat runs a good number I think you can sell it as package and someone will pay for a well working package. But if its slow then all that power means little, and its worth more in pieces. This is part of the reason so many big power boats get parted out imo, they are not fast for the given power, so they can't get close to what they want for the boat, its better for them to keep there power and put it in a better hull. I'm not trying to knock your boat at all, I have no idea what it runs, its a good looking boat, but I can't any info on them. In the end its probably worth more if the engine and drive get sold off and the boat gets sold with stock power.

Last edited by professor_speed; 01-18-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by professor_speed
My point was that if it has 900hp and its say an 85mph boat and a simular 26ft single that has 600hp runs 85 than that 900hp just means it burns a lot of fuel, and its either set up wrong or the hull is a slug. I'm actively looking at boats 25-28ft single engine, I have found huge variations on what they run. I think more people are paying attention to the efficiency of the hull these days, (I know I am) I'm sure that it is reliable, I looks like you spent extra in places to make sure of that. If the boat runs a good number I think you can sell it as package and someone will pay for a well working package. But if its slow then all that power means little, and its worth more in pieces. This is part of the reason so many big power boats get parted out imo, they are not fast for the given power, so they can't get close to what they want for the boat, its better for them to keep there power and put it in a better hull. I'm trying to knock you boat at all, I have no idea what it runs, its a good looking boat, but I can't any info on them. In the end its probably worth more if the engine and drive get sold off and the boat gets sold with stock power.
I see what your saying thanks for your input.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by professor_speed
My point was that if it has 900hp and its say an 85mph boat and a simular 26ft single that has 600hp runs 85 than that 900hp just means it burns a lot of fuel, and its either set up wrong or the hull is a slug. I'm actively looking at boats 25-28ft single engine, I have found huge variations on what they run. I think more people are paying attention to the efficiency of the hull these days, (I know I am) I'm sure that it is reliable, I looks like you spent extra in places to make sure of that. If the boat runs a good number I think you can sell it as package and someone will pay for a well working package. But if its slow then all that power means little, and its worth more in pieces. This is part of the reason so many big power boats get parted out imo, they are not fast for the given power, so they can't get close to what they want for the boat, its better for them to keep there power and put it in a better hull. I'm not trying to knock your boat at all, I have no idea what it runs, its a good looking boat, but I can't any info on them. In the end its probably worth more if the engine and drive get sold off and the boat gets sold with stock power.
My 27 ft is set-up similar to yours, runs 100 mph, idles smooth, easy to drive and fairly stable for what it is and unfortunately unless you find just the right 1 in 10,000 buyer it is worth LESS the way you have it set-up than stock.
Heres why-most 23-27 foot boats are bought by young, un-experienced FAMILY boaters. No way they can get insurance on a big powered v-hull, they have to get the wife or GF to go along with there purchase, the list goes on. The kinda guy who would buy a boat that fast has already had a little boat and wants to step up to something bigger , not go backwards. Unless its fire saled no one will buy it just to get the parts because as nice as they are they are still used and once they tear it apart it they have a bare hull laying around and. I have well over a hundred thousand in my boat ,bought it brand new in 2000 and took good care of it and it wouldn't sell today for even 20,000 and I have more than that in my 1050+ hp motor.
I hope you find that 1 in 10,000 buyer that WILL buy your boat, good luck, Smitty
Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
My 27 ft is set-up similar to yours, runs 100 mph, idles smooth, easy to drive and fairly stable for what it is and unfortunately unless you find just the right 1 in 10,000 buyer it is worth LESS the way you have it set-up than stock.
Heres why-most 23-27 foot boats are bought by young, un-experienced FAMILY boaters. No way they can get insurance on a big powered v-hull, they have to get the wife or GF to go along with there purchase, the list goes on. The kinda guy who would buy a boat that fast has already had a little boat and wants to step up to something bigger , not go backwards. Unless its fire saled no one will buy it just to get the parts because as nice as they are they are still used and once they tear it apart it they have a bare hull laying around and. I have well over a hundred thousand in my boat ,bought it brand new in 2000 and took good care of it and it wouldn't sell today for even 20,000 and I have more than that in my 1050+ hp motor.
I hope you find that 1 in 10,000 buyer that WILL buy your boat, good luck, Smitty
Thanks Smitty
Thats why I think I may part it out. I can Sell the drive and pickup a stock EFI motor and bravo drive then sell the boat it ran 66MPH with stock power. Then sell the motor or just part it out. My wife says just keep it and pass it on to the kids. I told her it is way to fast with the current motor.

George
Old 01-19-2013, 02:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

This 2000 26 Scarab is actually a Larry Smith edition, only six ever made, sought after model.Yet it has been for sale over a year without any offers. Your engine setup would be a compliment for it for sure and the boat would sell quicker.

http://www.seadogboatsales.com/2000%...20-%20MB29.pdf

I'd put a stock setup in your boat and it would probably sell faster. You could recoup your investment selling the engine combo later.

Last edited by spectras only; 01-19-2013 at 02:12 AM.